News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Boats, barges and ships

Started by The Hood, September 27, 2009, 09:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ӔO

these might be of interest in calculating potential sailing power.
simple version:
http://www.answers.com/topic/sail-area
complex version with calculator:
http://www.wb-sails.fi/news/SailPowerCalc/SailPowerCalc.htm

and somewhat relevant, but not a direct relationship.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/wind-power4.htm
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Time for some more boats I think. This is the Clyde Puffer, used all over Western Scotland from the 1850s, originally on the canal system but eventually into coastal waters too. They provided a vital goods service to rural and island communities.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

At some point I want to do a set of CalMac boats (they've provided a variety of sizes of ferry to the islands off the West Coast of Scotland for the last 50 years, from 30 passengers to around 500).

jamespetts

Those would be a fine addition indeed - we could do with some short to medium distance passenger ferries.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

I did a (very small) bit of research on CalMac last night and came up with a few to add to my ideas list. I'll avoid them if you want to do them, or alternatively you could help me compile a shortlist of what to include?

kierongreen

Island and Loch Class (small ferries from the 70s and 80s some still in service - I travel on an Island Class one commuting to work each day at the moment) I'd want to draw and include. The larger ones I'm not so familiar with but Lord of the Isles, Clansman and Isle of Mull I see most days so might be good ones for me to do also.

The Hood

I'll let you do those then. I'm still doing some older ships and then I might have a go at some hovercraft.

The Hood

Next up, the PS Industry, a small, early cargo paddle steamer from 1814. It comes in piece, cool and mail variants.

jamespetts

The Hood

Getting a little bored of drawing old steamers, so I decided to start a hovercraft set. 1st up - the SR.N6 Winchester class of 1965:

jamespetts

Milko

Hello The Hood

It's nice to see the pakBritain more complete! Thanks to all contributors!

Giuseppe

treiskin

It's great to see the boats become more modern, I remember only using huge and slow paddle steamers...

The Hood

Thanks for the feedback. There are a lot of boats still to draw and for some reason I find it harder to do these than trains or buildings so the encouragement is welcome. I'm going to focus on modern passenger boats for a while. Here's the SR N4 Mk1 "Mountbatten class" hovercraft which was used on cross-channel routes. The image below is the original Seaspeed livery, but I will do a few others for experimental to use.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

Splendid! It's so good to see interesting variety of watercraft.

The Hood

A lot of hovercraft here, but these are mostly livery variants, plus the Mk3 SR N4 - a stretched version of the Mk1 which should be available as an upgrade in experimental:

Top to bottom:
- SR N6 in Hoverlloyd livery
- SR N6 in BR Seaspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk1 in Hoverlloyd livery
- SR N4 Mk1 in early Hoverspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk1 in later Hoverspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk1 in later BR Seaspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk3 in later BR Seaspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk3 in early Hoverspeed livery
- SR N4 Mk3 in later Hoverspeed livery
NB the original SR N6 image above is Hovertravel livery

jamespetts

Gosh - that's jolly impressive! You'll have to supply a list of which ones are supposed to be upgrades and livery variants...

wlindley

Splendid! I rode one of the last N4 Channel runs, in September 2000; they were retired a few weeks later.  They were most impressive craft upon "takeoff," the giant bladders flapping to inflation, the entire ship rotating upon its central axis, then schussing down the concrete ramp into the water.  Here we are, loading baggage and fuel for the return. Look forward to seeing them in the pak!  (Although, why do I imagine a traffic jam of citycars waiting for one of the thirty automobile bays?)

treiskin

This is great! I love seeing new ships, keep giving us more!

The Hood

The BHC AP1-88-100 is next up, a 100-seater hovercraft from 1988 used on Isle of Wight services apparently.

greenling

Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

treiskin

jamespetts

The Hood

The modern equivalent to the AP1-88 is the BHT-130, with a slightly larger capacity.

jamespetts

The Hood

Finally (for the hovercraft) some cargo versions - the AP1-88-400 and the BHT-150 (piece and cooled goods variants):

jamespetts

The Hood

treiskin

I saw more great ships since last time I looked at this thread, love it and keep it coming!  ;)

The Hood

Moving onto catamarans, first up is the Thamesline Riverbus, which operated commuter services on the Thames in London from 1988:

jamespetts

The Hood

One more for the weekend - the FBM hydrocat, also running commuter services in London (several in service with the "Thames Clipper" company)

jamespetts