News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

train signals > i still dont get it

Started by acki, September 27, 2009, 10:13:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acki

Hi,

i've been reading through the train sign discussions and wiki,
and I do manage to get a simple 2-block and a simple choose signal set working.
But i've got this rather complicated rail thingy,
and whatever i do, the trains always get stuck...

I took some screenshots of it; part of it is underground:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/o6_Qjhu3itFrrW4KF_iFnw?feat=directlink
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tjwhWkwHGUyl-itvxPJB0g?feat=directlink
I think the main problem is that part of runs over 2 tracks,
and another part runs over just one track;
but there are in total 4 trains running on this network.
2 trains do the entire circle;
2 other trains only run from brendten oil pump, via brendten north airport, to brendten main station.

Can anyone help me setting up a system so trains don't get blocked because they want to use the same platform, or get stuck because they are on the same track..4

DirrrtyDirk

In the above-ground pic you probably should have switched the display of buildings to "hidden".
It's a little hard to see that way. But it seems like the overall layout is something like a "6" - a circle and a branch line to Brentden Main Station, right (disregarding the other branch near the airport)?

And only 4 trains on this whole network? That should be no problem with correct signals setup (and maybe a few small changes to the track layout). At least you should get a system with no deadlocks, but of course sometimes trains will have to wait a little.

But things like that are alway difficult do analyze (or explain) on screenshots. The savegame would be more useful for people to help you.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

acki

Hi Dirk,

true, the screenshots aren't very clear.
It is a 6-shape indeed; the branch near the airport can be ignored.

can I upload the sve file somewhere?
the file is 159kb, so the forum doesn't let me upload it.

thanks a million,

Jan

knightly

Hi Acki,

You can upload your save game here : http://simutrans-germany.com/files/. You don't need to register. Just login with any combination of user id and password.

Knightly

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, sorry didn't have time earlier.

Just downloaded your savegame and had a first look.

It is... well... a little chaotic to me  ;). You have so many lines... but about two thirds of them have either only one vehicle serving them (which is not bad) - but about as many with no vehicle at all. Also, assigning names to lines makes things a little easier to understand than just "(xx) Line" (with xx a number between 1 and 71).

Ok, now to your deadlock problem at at the area "Brentden central station" and "Brentden Church St Meinard stop": First of all, I removed the signals from the left (west) platform of both these stations. Don't know what they were supposed to do, but it is never necessary to put signals on each and every tile of a platform.

But the deadlocks didn't actually come from signals (or missing signals). They are caused by your selection of platforms. You use only one of the two platforms - but for traffic in both directions (and leave the other platform unused). Did you by any chance use the "replicate backwards" button when you created that line/schedule? Don't do that for trains on stations with multiple platforms. Decide what side of the "road" trains are going on your network, and stick to that. So have them either use the left or the right track (and platform) - from the trains perspective - all the time. Right now there's a wild mix of left and right platform stops, and that's where the paths of the trains collide and they get stuck. Sort this out, and this particular type of deadlock won't happen again.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****