News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Show object images to guest users

Started by vilvoh, October 15, 2009, 08:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

I didn't notice it until now. I was wondering why SimuTranslator does not show the object images, if they're available, when you enter as a guest. Is it a matter of security?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Frank

This is the original programming. So a question for Napik.

But I think a screenshot for better image suitable for display as the source graphics.

prissi

SInce the source is closed, and the images are the source, only people we know should access it. THat is why nobody can register with only an alias (and I would like to keep it this way. If somebody do not want to tell us his name: Can we trust him then to let him free access at our translations where he can add as much Spam as he like into help files?)

vilvoh

I see your point but I don't understand it well. If the problem is that guests may access to object images, the public SVN would be an easy way to get them, right? I'm not saying that Simutranslator must be open public, as with the current method we can avoid some spammers although they can submit spam as guests.

On the other hand, although almost always there's a master translation and translators must not change it when translating to thier native language, having an image sometimes helps to translate it or suggest a translation, as you have a real picture of the object not a mental image based on master translation. That's why I don't see disavantages on enabling images for guests. If somebody wants to steal them, he can go to the SVN, at least for pak64 and pak128.Britain, and get them from there.

Anyway if that's the real problem, we could use watermarks on images when showing them to guests. I don't know if it's worth, perhaps SimuTranslator doesn't have enough guest users to justify the modification, so consider my request/doubt as pure curiosity, not as a formal extension request.  :)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

IgorEliezer

I think of a solution:

- After you have accessed as Guest Access, you need to pass by a CAPTCHA to validate your IP as safe. If safe, Simutranslator opens a session for use, then all inputs from such IP are free to use all guest-access resources, including image preview. If you close Simutranslator or guest-access session times up, you'll need to pass by CAPTCHA to validate your IP as safe again, and so on.

I hope you have figured out my idea.

prissi

pak128 has no public SVN where the images can accessed, since it is closed source.

Honestly, I would like to remove suggestion any time soon since 90% of the suggestions are useless, since those people did not really look into the matter or the program. If somebody really want to contribute, registering is not such a high hurdle.

VS

I think the current solution is good enough.

It isn't really optimal that we do have to hide images, but we indeed have that need. It currently works. Changing that part would probably break more things or make STL even more clumsy. Import of objects is already limited there, but we know how to get past that...

And people who seriously wish to translate should just apply for an account. Massively distributed ("democratized"?) translations are usually very poor, and suggestions are proof of exactly exactly that.

Captchas are easily defeated by using a real human for the validation part. Have you never heard? And nobody will bother anyway. STL is too small of a target, and doesn't even accept links. I doubt "they" would bother targeting it.

PS: 100% support for prissi's stance.

EDIT: This is just my personal view. I do not [want to] wish for some changes or such. What is there now is good enough. Please note that I do not translate much - my views are not that important.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

skreyola

Quote from: prissi on October 16, 2009, 07:35:04 PM
pak128 has no public SVN where the images can accessed, since it is closed source.

Honestly, I would like to remove suggestion any time soon since 90% of the suggestions are useless, since those people did not really look into the matter or the program. If somebody really want to contribute, registering is not such a high hurdle.
If we remove guest access to suggestions, could we add it as a button for the registered translators?
The reason I ask is that I think it would be useful for allowing peer review of translations for some of us who are newer at this. We could make a suggested translation, and others working on the same language could review it. If I am not 100% sure of a translation, and I just send it with Translate, nobody knows I was only 90% sure this was the best translation, but if I send it as a suggestion, others will look at it.
I know that we're supposed to post on the forum when we're not sure, and I can see that for when we're only 10%-60% sure of our translation, but this would be smoother for things we're pretty sure of, and some code is already in place, so it would only need to be modified, rather than added from nothing.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

prissi

That sounds like a good suggestion to me.