News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Menu skin discussion

Started by DirrrtyDirk, October 22, 2009, 02:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirrrtyDirk

Why was the skin moved away from the pak folder anyway? Anything special planned with that?

(Oh and apparently it belongs under simutrans/skin/menu.WindowSkin.pak now)

But if another file exists in the pak folder, that one is will be used. So for paksets with different skins: just leave them where they are (at least for now... don't know what the future brings)

EDIT: this post was originally after http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3606.msg35075#msg35075
- Igor.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

wernieman

??

Sorry, I don´t understand ..

The menu.WindowSkin.pak is from simutrans-code or from the PAK??
So must we change the PAKs or must I generate the menu.WindowSkin.pak for the nightltys (code)?

I hope you understand my English

DirrrtyDirk

Ok, step by step:

Apparently the file menu.WindowSkin.pak is no longer supposed to be part of the pak-folders (at least not in pak64) but has been moved to a new location (sub-folder "skin" in the simutrans program folder). So you'd have to change the big nightly package (the one with not just the .exe) just a little: create one more subfolder (="skin"), and that should simply contain the menu.WindowSkin.pak from pak64 I presume.

Although I still have no idea why this was done.

prissi

This allows the user to use his own menu for all pak sets and also to use all window elements during start up. I find the idea of a different skin for every pakset rather annoying (with the exeption of pak contrast and pak handdrawn) and confusing for new players.

But aparently I forgot to change distribution.sh accordingly.

wernieman

Thanks for the exploration

I will look ... but not today ....
I hope you understand my English

VS

Oh so that's why! I thought about some different reasons, but this sounds good as well.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

DirrrtyDirk

Thanks for the explanation, prissi.

But I don't think different windowskins are so much of a problem. More confusing (especially for new players) are probably the different menu structures and icons in each pakset... (But I wouldn't like to miss them, as most paksets IMO are supposed to look and feel different from each other.

So, I actually like the possibility to have a different skin for each pakset... for me it adds to the feeling of having something else, something different from the other paks... but that's just my personal point of view.

VS

That's more or less true. Personally, however...

a) the gui should follow some [universal] design principles, which does not happen often with addon skins - text contrast, unobtrusive background, recognizable elements and so on

b) current skinning possibilities are almost none (and I do not mind in the least!)

c) just one skin per game session, requires manipulation with files - for my tastes too hard to customize (again does not matter to me)

So I do not care much for skins.

Good point with menus.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

IgorEliezer

I've split the topic. Original topic: http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3606.0

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on October 22, 2009, 05:39:07 PM
But I don't think different windowskins are so much of a problem. More confusing (especially for new players) are probably the different menu structures and icons in each pakset... (But I wouldn't like to miss them, as most paksets IMO are supposed to look and feel different from each other.)

I don't have so enough time to speak, I just agree with DirrrtyDirk's statement.

Frank

Quote from: prissi on October 22, 2009, 05:05:28 PM
This allows the user to use his own menu for all pak sets and also to use all window elements during start up. I find the idea of a different skin for every pakset rather annoying (with the exeption of pak contrast and pak handdrawn) and confusing for new players.

???

But the player can reload his favored Skin on the Addon folder.

Spike

I cannot supply a skin with my pak set anymore?

prissi

No you can. The default skin is only used for the pak set (and maybe language selection dialoge).

Spike