News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Weird passenger behaviour

Started by Lord Vetinari, November 01, 2009, 05:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

Simutrans map:

And, since the screenshot is a little bit messy, lines scheme (I made this for fun on another forum):

There are passengers in A that want to go to C or D.
What I expected them to do is to go to B and change on either the dark green line or the second branch of the light green line for C, and to E and change on the yellow line (that has both CW and CCW services) to D.
What they actually do is go to F and there change for C, and go all the way to G and then change on the yellow line for D.

To make it brief, it seems that when there is more than one transfer option between two lines, the passengers always choose the longest trip available.
I experienced the same behaviour in most lines of this game (F, for example, is a major hub and there are thousands of passengers waiting to be picked up even if they could choose a more convenient transfer outside the big city. I won't list all the examples of this behaviour as they are all the same story).

I started this particular map with the latest nightly (Windows version) and pak 128.britain, but, as I said, I already saw the same bug before, with different versions and paks.

(EDIT: I'm not dead, I'll release that birdge for the pack soon)

jamespetts

In Simutrans-Standard, routing for passengers and goods always chooses the route with the fewest transfers; or rather, it always chooses a route with the fewest transfers. If there is more than one route with the same number of transfers, which it chooses is completely random.

In Simutrans-Experimental, routing is based on the lowest overall journey time, so this problem should not occur.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Lord Vetinari

I remember reading a lot of time ago that the numbers of stops was taken in account.
Thanks anyway.
Maybe I'm very unlucky with random mechanisms, but I've never seen passengers choosing a transfer different than the farthest one.

By the way, can I load the savegame on Experimental or a new game is required for the changes to take place?

prissi

The problem is, that the number of intermediate stops is not (yet) taken into account in standard. Tahat is a project, which will come someday, hopefully.

Spike

Quote from: jamespetts on November 01, 2009, 05:41:02 PM
...  it always chooses a route with the fewest transfers. If there is more than one route with the same number of transfers, which it chooses is completely random.

Not random. It chooses the first which is found (this depends on the internal sort order of data and is not really predictable to the player, but it's not random. Unless the sort order changes, it will always be the same route).

colonyan

Quote from: prissi on November 01, 2009, 08:31:44 PM
The problem is, that the number of intermediate stops is not (yet) taken into account in standard. Tahat is a project, which will come someday, hopefully.
Even if it is future project, it is good to hear. I shall wait.

prissi

It should work as expected in the latest nightlies.

Lord Vetinari

Great, thanks! ;D  I'm downloading it.

Just one question, to understand how things work: the number of stops is considered for every route or only for trasfers?
I mean, is it worthy to build both directions of a cirlce line before it is connected to the rest of the network, for example?
If I set an express line will passengers choose it instead of the local one?

prissi

In the curretn system, the first possible transfer point is considered which results in the lowest toal number of transfers. Intermediate stops are still pending, since this would imply changes to the loading routines of vehicles.

iranair787

Just to sidetrack, how did you make that map underneath your maiin image?
Version and paks:
simutrans 102.2
PAK128.britain 1.0.5.0.102

Lord Vetinari

With Photoshop, pencil or line tool, size 8 pixel.
Then the circle selection tool to make stations and curves. I looked at the London Tube Map for curves radii, proportions between line and stations, etc.

I make a full set of pieces (straight, curves, diagonals, stations) before I work on the actual map, then I just paste together copies of the pieces where needed. I put the screenshot on the base level of the picture as reference.