News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

pak48.Excentrique

Started by Spike, November 03, 2009, 03:12:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

I think there can be animated crossings now, but I don't know how many animation steps they can have. So moving dots might be impossible, but I'll take a look into it.

railworker

well two steps is might be enough already. A chain of glowing dots, every 2nd lights up:
First image: 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th,...
Second image: 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th,...
You could alternate the images every 0.5 seconds or so.

Fabio

I guess there are only open and closed images, nut happy to be wrong.

railworker

Well in that case, make one with 'open' and one with 'closed' (red lights on and powertrail glowing off).

Anyway, I got a problem here:

save, simutrans 111.0, pak48.excentrique_newest
I try to transport rythms and fanfars to two different 'city musicants'. All fine with the fanfars but the rythms transport only works for one of the musicants, the other one doesn't work and I have no darn clue why. I verified that both musicants accept fanfars and rythms. It is probably a dumb error but I fail to see it. Please help.

EDIT:
OOHHH NOOO I think 'no routing over overcrowded stations' hit me. In the beginning I wasn't fast enough to transport all the fanfars so the station was overcrowded and no rythms were sent via that station. I think it works now.

EDIT2:
new save
I notice two things: first, the alignment of the magnatrack signals at diagonal tracks needs to be improved, and I see the day isn't displayed, it only says season, month and time.

Spike

I'm curious to try your savegame, but it's too late now, I need some sleep. Next evening there should be some time, though. Thank you for trying the set and reporting your findings :)

Meanwhile I had made a new set of window bar icons. I feel uncertain if they go well with the buttons. I like the icons, though, so maybe I'll change the buttons to fit better.

Spike

@railworker: You've been quite busy there with the long-distance transport. (I wonder a bit if Simutrans is player very differently these days than from my memories ... but that is a topic for another thread).

I'm afraid I can't help the signals on the diagonals though. Current Simutrans only allows 4 signal positions in the input graphics, and I've chosen them to look somewhat good for straight tracks - and even there trains stop under the forcegates and not in front of them. There are limits in many elements. But maybe a moment of geniality will strike ...

Attached is a preview of my latest try at making a skin for pak48.Excentrique.

Dwachs

Imho the color of the window buttons and scrollbars is too strong when compared to the light brown regular buttns.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Spike

Maybe it's time for a poll? I made some more skin variants. Same style, different colors/shades:

http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9123.0

railworker

Quote from: Hajo on January 29, 2012, 10:39:30 PM
@railworker: You've been quite busy there with the long-distance transport. (I wonder a bit if Simutrans is player very differently these days than from my memories ... but that is a topic for another thread).

I'm afraid I can't help the signals on the diagonals though. Current Simutrans only allows 4 signal positions in the input graphics, and I've chosen them to look somewhat good for straight tracks - and even there trains stop under the forcegates and not in front of them. There are limits in many elements. But maybe a moment of geniality will strike ...
Sure I do long-distance transport if offered. If you are curious, here is a save after some advance and improvement of the connection. Before I had too many trains going. It seems just-in-time is off so that I am able to totally overfill the far-distance 'musikus' but at some point the demand for either rhythms or fanfars goes to zero and the trains queue at the station used as hub. I believe the balance needs to be improved, either the 'musikus' should be able to process more rythms and fanfars or the fanfarstars and rythm factories should have in general less productivity. I wanted to build another "musikus" using the "öffentliche Hand" (not sure what's the translation in english) but I found no option for that.

About the signals positions: yes the way it is now it looks good for straight tracks, if you optimized for diagonal tracks it would look weird for straight tracks and vice versa. I personally can live with how it is now.

Spike

The balance sure needs some work. I have not yet found out how current Simutrans versions determine how many source factories will be built for a consumer or how many consumers will be built for a source factory. Once I know that, I can adjust things better.

I think here in the forum the öffentliche Hand ist called "public player". And since this feature didn't exist when I left development I totally did not think about checking if such a switch works with pak48.Excentrique. Much for me to learn and add ...

Added I have a new sort of commercial city building and a new magnatrack engine, the "Renaht Darter". Now I need to work on the faster tracks, too, those still have a crossing problem.

Spike

I've made two more magnatrack engines. It's the "Renaht Triple Darter", an improved version of the "Renaht Darter", and the strongest and fastest magnatrack engine built so far, the "Renaht Eggson".

Now it's a choice of five engines, which should be good enough for the beginning, and I think I'll work on other things next.

Fabio

Cool engines!!!

I finally managed to download the pakset and give it a quick try, it's really an art of its kind!

sdog

eggson! good for both big endian and little endian operation.

Spike

Thanks for the feedback, gave me a smile and makes me feel happy :)
I'll try to keep up the work.

railworker

Very cool new engines. :) I have downloaded them but only tested the triple darter so far, though. Now the next I would wish is a magnatrack passenger car for high speed trains over 200km/h.

Spike

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, still much to be done. I hope that next week I can work some more on the set again.

Spike

Version 0.16 is out!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/simutrans/files/pak48.Excentrique/v0.16-for-Simutrans-111.1/

Release notes

Introduction

pak48.Excentrique is work in progress. There are two working modes of transportation and enough game elements to have cities, some industries and forests in the game.

The main focus of this pak set is to provide a new and very different scenery which might be refreshing for old Simutrans players and interesting to new players as well. It's also meant to be an easy set to play, but so far balancing prices and costs is ongoing work and nowhere near final.

Changes in v0.16 since v0.15

- Some private vehicles added.
- Some new city buildings added.
- New magnatrack engines added.
- Powertrail speedlane and powertrail nobridge added.
- Better map legend colors for industries.
- Additions and bugfixes for the translations.
- Minor changes to skin and icons (works best with Simutrans Iron Bite)

Known problems and missing features

- No tunnels.
- No ships.
- No aircrafts.
- No rivers.
- High level cities are very densely packed.
- Music industry chain is incomplete.
- Only English and German texts available, and both incomplete.

An_dz

The effect of loosing sight of the city reduced, I was right, more city buildings helped.
And the Light Crystal Splinter Plant needs no_ground. The ground gets messed when hovering the cursor.

Spike

Thanks for the feedback, An_dz. I was distracted with some other disturbencies, and maybe will be for a while, but once I am back to pak developemnet I'll take care fo the problems.

Spike

After a lengthy discussion with Prissi today, it seems to be the best if I stop all programming activities around Simutrans for a while.

While this does not mean that I need to stop pak48.Excentrique, it still makes me want to take a break here too. I had intended to use some new features that I had put in Simutrans Iron Bite with pak48.Excentrique, and I do not know if I want to make this pak without those additions. Maybe later, once the dust of today's discussion has settled. Graphics work should be something that is better for me than coding and which I can actually sustain for a longer time.

Spike

I felt inspired to work on some more decorative elements:

- Active/inactive geyser (not animated)
- Spots of various colors and densities
- A spire
- Two rocks
- So called flowers, also cleverly disguised as pixels
- A sort of pond
- A mushroom patch

Fabio

Quote from: Hans on February 29, 2012, 09:15:46 PM
- Active/inactive geyser (not animated)
Being an excentrique pakset, the geyser could be seasonal: active in summer and inactive in winter or the other way around.

wlindley

Hmm... perhaps the geyser's seasons are reversed in the different climate types?

Spike

pak48.Excentrique has no seasons yet ... I'm still feeling uncertain if I want to use the feature, and if I want to, what for. The only real idea is to do color changes, so that it looks a bit different every while.

Spike

I've made a test with trees. Most likely I'll use the seasons for funky color changes. And maybe I'll make the cities go grayscale during winter ... must see if that'd be an interesting effect.

At the moment I can present a little preview of colorful treescapes  8)

Tree pak download -> http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=9397.msg88620#msg88620

An_dz

Beautiful. Loved the lime and purple trees.

Knightly

I love these colourful trees very much ;)

MoTw

Those trees make me happy  :) They look very cool!

Moritz
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

Spike

- New music industry: Pipe organ
- New "melody" transporter (might need some graphical updates, but it works)

MoTw

Nice :) I'd love to have this organ animated so it would be played by 'ghost hands' :D
world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

Spike

I think I could even do that :D

Lanaos

Hello Spike!
I registered today to tell you that I really enjoy playing around with excentrique. It certainly does something for simutrans to have neat paks.

_Hajo_

New real flying saucer with ray to remove objects!
Will be part of the next release.

Yona-TYT

Quote from: _Hajo_ on January 24, 2022, 09:15:09 PM
New real flying saucer with ray to remove objects!
Will be part of the next release.
Can you make animations with that? It would be great to see that destroyer ray in action.

_Hajo_

I am not sure if Simutrans can play an animation sequence for a tool? As far as I see, there is only one image defined per tool. So likely, no.

I'd like an animated beam there too, but honestly, that will be quite a challenge to make. First more weather industries.