News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Almost a project: The Simutrans Blog - what do you think about?

Started by IgorEliezer, November 05, 2009, 02:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IgorEliezer

The Simutrans Blog

I said once or twice elsewhere: I miss a blog for Simutrans Community.

Developers, project leaders, language moderators and pak Maintainers will be able to post freely news about anything they consider interesting to be aired for the community and visitors of simutrans.com, such as, releases of paksets and add-ons sets, new projects, releases of tools, trivia of Simutrans development, new e-books, things that happen among language boards and so on.

About "things that happen among language boards", such news are allowed to be posted in original language as long as the poster provides the proper English translation. For instance, a member releases a set of add-ons on FR - Français Board, then the board moderator of FR-Board, if considering it interesting, can post a message on the blog announcing it in French and English.

Also, a group of few more people will be able to post about anything they find in the Simutrans Community Forums and the Internet, for instance, reviews and article about Simutrans, new fan-sites, any interesting new related Simutrans that happens outside, gameplay videos and so on.

The best part is that the blog will show the visitors of simutrans.com that the community is alive and producing, and that the Simutrans is not stopped. A visitor who visits frequently the simutrans site and see the same site with same content every day can think there's nothing new here and will not get interested to join the community.

I propose the blog could be hosted at simutrans.com domain and accessible from simutrans site.

That's it. I would like to receive some feedbacks to this proposal.

Spike

I'd like such a blog, and while active with projects around Simutrans I'd also like to post news there.

ElectroCyber

Great....!

A subdomain like http://blog.simutrans.com would be nice. Everyone can get their account for example:

http://blog.simutrans.com/hajo
Sorry for my bad English...

vilvoh

It's a good idea. The blog is dynamic, simple to update, flexible enough to mix different kinds of elements like news, announcements, previews, releases, development notes, etc.. but my experience says it may consume more time than it seems at first sight. News and annoucements are easy to manage, but the problems appear when you want to publish a more elaborated content.

Another important issue is who's going to manage it, a single person or a group of people? Perhaps a single person to check and publish the content, and several people from different areas gathering or generating the content.

Anyway, I support it so count on me if the project is finally done.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Ashley

This kind of functionality could eventually be rolled into the new Simutrans site project, though it'd be good to get something set up immediately to start enjoying the benefits.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

VS

Exacty - blog now, migrate later. If it is worth anything, by then... good.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

IgorEliezer

Quote from: VS on November 05, 2009, 06:08:04 PM
Exacty - blog now

Yeah, blog now. *shakes first*

How about to set up a sub-domain and install some thing, at least for testing purposes?

VS

You want one? You got one... what kind of engine should it be?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

IgorEliezer

I don't know. I never installed a blog before.

People who is got used to blogs could leave some suggestions.

vilvoh

I recommend a free and robust platform, like Wordpress or Movable Type. Drupal would be also good to create a blog community where everybody can have his own space. My vote goes to Wordpress and Drupal,

You've an interesting comparison of several weblog engines at www.smashingmagazine.com.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

ElectroCyber

Sorry for my bad English...

VS

VS

OK, tomorrow you will get a shiny new wordpress @ blog.simutrans.com, provided I can install it.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I have at least one Wordpress plugin to suggest: IntenseDebate - great for moderating comments.

There are a lot of great and useful plugins - for example, one that will allow listing authors so you can see posts made by them.

I'm using Wordpress for multiple projects, and it is pretty good stuff. :)

http://isaac.eiland-hall.com/
http://extremefirereview.info/ (still being set up)

VS

OK, it's there. You who should know, you know what to do. Have fun!

Spike

VS