News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Trucks

Started by Leeway, November 21, 2009, 03:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leeway

As a experienced lorry driver I've driven almost all of the trucks in the game from the 1980 on and I have noticed something that is not accurate. On flat level ground a fully laden truck will have the same top speed as a unladen truck, the acceleration will be a lot slower, braking distance will be longer and it will be very slow climbing steep hills when fully laden. But ultimately the top speed will be the same.

It just seems unrealistic to me. Maybe it is a factar the should be considered next time you rebalance the trucks in the game.

Leeway.

The Hood

Leeway, thanks for the report and welcome to the forum.

This raises two issues really:
1) I never properly balanced the acceleration of road vehicles, it was mostly guesswork.  I know this will need doing properly eventually.
2) I can only balance stuff within the limits of the game engine, which is a bit more simple than real life.  I don't think braking distances are included in the game at all (look how fast a train comes to a stop from full speed - that really isn't right!!!).  Hill climbing and acceleration should be in there to some extent though.

I'll bear this in mind when I rebalance the trucks properly (or if anyone else wants to experiment and knows how to use makeobj, then adapt the sources and let me know what you find out!)