News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Resource for maps?

Started by VS, December 05, 2009, 04:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Just found this: http://www.naturalearthdata.com/

What do you think? Is that eventually useful for Simutrans?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Combuijs

Could be very useful indeed. At the moment I'm trying to download a bathymetry (?) file fit for Photoshop. I will have a look when I have time, maybe tomorrow.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

IgorEliezer

The site is truly interesting, but there's a lot of unknown file formats: dbf, sbn, sbx

Combuijs

Hmm, I've done some experiments. There is a lot of stuff with shaded reliefs, which is not very useful in Simutrans. I've downloaded the Natural Earth II large size. You get a giant tif file (683 MB) with the earth in natural colours. I guess that with some efforts you can map these colours on a Simutrans greyscale. But the scale is still horrible. For example, you don't need the Channel tunnel between England and France, it's just grown together. The Scilly Isles are just one square.

So, I don't think this is useful in any way. Something to watch though, the basic data is there and can probably be refined.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs