News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

TVS - tornadic vortext signature

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 02, 2009, 11:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So I'm watching the weather this morning - we have some severe stuff in the area...

At the moment (about 3mins ago, actually), a TVS popped up.

Here's the radar:

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/436/5458269506.png

That's a Tornadic Vortext Signature - meaning, a radar indicated possible tornado - or, in this case, waterspout.

It's a strong storm, and unusually, they're looking up to an hour out (the storm track shows estimated location in an hour from now) issuing a tornado warning if this storm keeps its current strength for much longer.

with typing, it's been 5 mins now - arond 5:15am my time, and I"m posting this at 5:20. Just thought some might find it interesting. And if I don't reply in a few days, worry about me. ;-)

EDIT: The warning issued may be of interest:

Quote518 AM CST WED DEC 2 2009

...A SIGNIFICANT WEATHER ALERT IS IN EFFECT FOR BAY COUNTY IN THE PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA...

* UNTIL 615 AM CST

AT 516 AM CST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A STRONG THUNDERSTORM PRODUCING A TORNADIC WATERSPOUT 22 MILES SOUTHWEST OF PANAMA CITY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 60 MPH.

THIS STORM WILL BE MOVING INTO BAY COUNTY AS EARLY AS 6 AM CST. IF THIS STORM CONTINUES AT ITS CURRENT STRENGTH A TORNADO WARNING MAY BECOME REQUIRED FOR BAY COUNTY.

WINDS 50 TO 55 MPH ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.

THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING TORRENTIAL DOWNPOURS WHICH MAY CAUSE LOCALIZED FLOODING OF STREETS AND LOW LYING AREAS...AND IS ALSO PRODUCING NEARLY CONTINUOUS CLOUD TO GROUND LIGHTNING. MOVE INDOORS IMMEDIATELY! LIGHTNING IS ONE OF NATURES NUMBER ONE KILLERS. REMEMBER...IF YOU CAN HEAR THUNDER...YOU ARE CLOSE ENOUGH TO BE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.

RELAY REPORTS OF SIGNIFICANT WEATHER TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TALLAHASSEE AT (8 5 0) 9 4 2 8 8 3 3. OR...YOU MAY CONTACT THE NEAREST LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OR YOUR COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT. THEY WILL RELAY YOUR REPORT TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

EDIT: 5:27am - you'll have to zoom in, but here's relative velocity for this tornadic storm - the red/green shows directional winds. So this shows a large area of rotation that strongly indicated a mesocyclone, and shows that this could be a powerful tornado here.

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/436/7507380094.png

EDIT: est. 20 min out, it's 5:40a - getting worried - this thing is sitll out there, coming here - no time to edit pic smaller:
http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/436/2764553519.png

yee-hah :-(

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Double-posting on purpose to make it clear. heh.

It came in and moved a little west of us - also, it did weaken once it made landfall.

I don't know if there was an actual tornado on the ground when it came ashore - will have to see the news later.

Good news is: It has definitely dissipated now, and we're safe.

Quite the excitement - I had to wake Rachel up, have her get dressed, and stand by to go into our safe-closet... That was about 20 minutes ago at 5:45a. It was projected to hit here around nowish - and in fact, the winds have picked up out there a lot. But no tornado.

Anyway, enough excitement. :)

Ashley

You Americans with your crazy weather :)

Glad it passed you by, cool radar images as well. Worst we ever get here is a bit of flooding...
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

wipi35

Quote from: Timothy on December 04, 2009, 11:58:21 PM
Worst we ever get here is a bit of flooding...

Isn't that a bit of an understatement. I saw the pictures on TV with a lot of ancient bridges broken down.