News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Server move...

Started by Isaac Eiland-Hall, December 12, 2009, 11:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isaac Eiland-Hall

The forum has been moved back to Isaac's servers. This was done with only a couple of hours of downtime.

Technically, for now, you will notice that "simutrans.info" is the domain -- all requests sent to forum.simutrans.com will be automatically forwarded to simutrans.info - this is what allows us to make the transfer seamless (with the exception of the necessary downtime to copy files and the database, but that was done at a time when activity on the forum was very minimal).

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask or comment here.

VS

Attachments are broken, but will be likely fixed in a few minutes. Please don't reupload anything yet.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Yes, subtle little problems always manage to creep in! hehe

But at least the big stuff worked: The database moved without error. Yay! :D

EDIT: ETA one hour - have to re-download attachments and re-upload...

z9999+

Maybe link to css, javascript and images are sill to old server.
I'm using Fx browser with RequestPolicy addon, so I can only see text and white background.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Hmm. There is a script on Hellmade's server that redirects all requests to simutrans.info - this is actually how I"m able to make the change instant. Is it possible that RequestPolicy or some other feature is preventing the redirect?

I'm hesitant to try and update all to simutrans.info if only because forum.simutrans.com will point here shortly, but perhaps I can look at trying that...

z9999+

Thank you.
Okay, I understand now, simutrans.info is a temporary url.

In that case, no problem, I can change policy to enable that.

VS

Attachments are fixed - thanks, Isaac!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Our timing appears to be good - Hellmade's server went down, which caused us to find one other issue to fix. hehe

IgorEliezer

Don't worry. Within 4 or 5 hours, some mysterious hand will fix everything up there (as said VS in IRC), as always did.

EDIT: it's up.

Ashley

DNS records for forum.simutrans.com have now been changed to point at Isaac's server.

Sorry I didn't do this sooner, I was out last night and didn't realise we were doing this so soon!
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

No problem - the thing is, the .htaccess on Hellmade's server means that there's no rush, that's why I didn't ask you until the move was already completed. :)

rsdworker

just asking why move to other server?

VS

I'll just copy this from my other message elsewhere:

The server we moved from is...
a) owned by a person who does not communicate with us
b) still available, but for how long exactly?
c) crashing like mad

Colin

Good job too. I welcome the return to the arms of our benevolent dictator.
I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it

Thought for the day

When you are up to your backside in alligators, it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp.

IgorEliezer

Yea, our benevolent dictator!

HUZZAH!

This deserves a banquet with something special =P

(Isaac knows where this something special came from XD)