News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[New release] Simutrans-Experimental 7.1

Started by jamespetts, December 19, 2009, 07:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

A new version of Simutrans-Experimental is available to-day: Simutrans 102.3 Experimental 7.1. Note that that, because the Simutrans-Standard version number has incremented since 7.0 (from 102.1 to 102.3), Simutrans-Experimental 7.0 will not be able to load games saved with Simutrans-Experimental 7.1. See here for more information on how to download, install and set up the latest version. Note that this version comes with new configuration files. For those already familiar with the installation and setup, here are some quick links:

There are a number of significant changes in version 7.1 from 7.0, some incorporated from Simutrans-Standard, some specific to Simutrans-Experimental. It is now possible to load saved games from the latest nightly builds of Simutrans-Standard with Simutrans-Experimental 7.1. A full list of changes specific to Simutrans-Experimental, and a summary of changes from Simutrans-Standard follows:

Changes (Simutrans-Experimental)

• CHANGE: Overhauled physics model: see here for details. "tractive_effort=x" (where x is a number in kiloNewtons) is now active and working in .dat files. [Bernd Gabriel]
  • ADD:  "Acceleration" graph in the convoy graph window [Bernd Gabriel]
  • CHANGE: After replacing vehicles, goods category indices are recalculated and refresh is initiated where necessary [Knightly]
  • FIX: Some errors on loading/saving games
  • FIX: Bug when a Garrett type locomotive reverses.
  • CHANGE: The odometer is now shown in kilometres, adjusted for the distance scale, rather than tiles
  • FIX: Crashes and bizarre behaviour when upgrading locomotives with tenders where the tender also needed upgrading.
  • FIX: Vehicles available only as upgrade can now be selected in the depot window if they are already in storage in the depot.
  • FIX: Cornering settings could not be loaded from pakset specific simuconf.tab files
  • FIX: Cornering often did not correctly recognise corners sharper than 45 degrees
  • CHANGE: Hard limited maximum speeds for corners sharper than 45 degrees (previously, was a proportion of the way's base speed limit; corners of 45 degrees are still a proportion of the base limit)
  • CODE: Commented out redundant parts of fixed_list_tpl.h to optimise performance
  • CHANGE: Passengers will now walk to their destination whenever they can. This value can be specified in simuconf.tab in tenths of kilometers with the parameter max_walking_distance_km, although this will not be saved until the Simutrans-Experimental version number exceeds 8.0

Major changes (Simutrans-Standard)

• ADD: Early experimental networking code (not fully working yet)
  • CHANGE: default savegame now bzip2 (games 33% smaller)
  • ADD: Odometer and distance per month available for convois/lines
  • ADD: (gerw) built tunnel without ways
  • FIX: no longer possible for neagtive prices (cheat bus)
  • ADD: (Dwachs) starting money per year
  • ADD: lines will be listed numerically correct, if the contain a number
  • ADD: bridge building with click-and-drag
  • ADD: traffic light can set their phases now manually (in seconds) (new help text: trafficlight_info.txt, new string: -\nSet phases:-)

Feedback and testing

Thanks to all those who have tested Simutrans-Experimental and provided useful feedback. In particular, it would be useful to have feedback on Bernd Gabriel's new physics model (discussion in this thread, please): Bernd has put an enormous amount of effort into this (I am extremely grateful to him for his very great patience with all of the e-mails that I sent him asking for various revisions to the code), and it would be extremely useful to have some detailed feedback to enable the system to be fine tuned.

Any other feedback from this version would, as ever, also be very much appreciated, including (1) bug reports; (2) information as to how well-balanced that the game is; (3) any difference in approach/strategy needed for Simutrans-Experimental as over Simutrans-Standard; and (4) any other useful feedback.

Thanks again to all those who have worked to test Simutrans-Experimental, and happy playing!

Edit: Added links to Linux binaries.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

rsdworker

hmm i don't see the fix for depot on list which i reported earlier - see this thread
which was stated to be fixed in 7.1 http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3970.0
CTD when inspected on other company depot which fixed in standard version

jamespetts

RSDWorker,

it is not in the list because it is a fix from Simutrans-Standard, and I did not list all the fixes from Simutrans-Standard, just summarised the new features.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

Any luck with the Linux build?  Logfile still shows error.

jamespetts

Yes - I've found the errors and hopefully fixed them. Should be a Linux build by to-morrow morning. Sorry for the delays.

Dutchman on Rails

Hi James,

I have another (minor) finding to report:

When purchasing the road vehicles single horse, double horse, Wagon (piece goods) and wagon (cooled goods), twice the amount of money is deducted than the listed price. This happens in Simutrans 102.3 Experimental 7.1, both with Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.4 and Pak128.Britain 1.05.

Savegame uploaded to:

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/DoR%20Aberdeen%201781-02.sve

As usual, please don't hesitate to ask for any further tests.

jamespetts

Thank you very much for your investigation and report - when I get back home, I shall look into this. Much appreciated!

neroden

-poke-

Linux build?  I tried to build it myself but got outfoxed by the build system.

EDIT: looks like the Linux build is up there... is standard version 102.3 the same as 102.2.1?  This is getting confusing.... ;D

LATER EDIT: oh, I see the Linux build is still version 7.0

jamespetts

Apologies about the delay to the Linux build - the problem has been identified, but, owing to being away for the Christmas holidays, neither Ansgar or I are in a position to fix it at present. Whoever is able to get to the issue first will do so.

sdog

hey, please don't worry too much about it!

there's plenty of time after you returned from your hollidays. rather enjoy the time, and get a good start into new year. here in germany we wish "Einen guten Rutsch ins neue Jahr!" so i wish you, roughly translated, to slide well into the new year.

sdog

jamespetts

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on December 28, 2009, 02:05:50 PM
Apologies about the delay to the Linux build - the problem has been identified, but, owing to being away for the Christmas holidays, neither Ansgar or I are in a position to fix it at present. Whoever is able to get to the issue first will do so.

It's fine, no hurry -- have a relaxing holiday!

I just suddenly had the time to playtest simutrans-experimental on my holidays :-) so I thought I'd ask.  I am still wondering what this "102.3" version of simutrans-standard is, though -- it would be better if I didn't immediately get hung up on a second problem (not having a copy of simutrans-standard 102.3 to work from) when you fix the build problem.

jamespetts

102.3 is the latest nightly from Simutrans-Standard, on which Simutrans-Experimental 7.1 is based. Do feel free to play test 7.0 for the time being until we can get a working version of 7.1 out for Linux.

marcosrcc

Hi there!

Still no news about the Linux build? I am really anxious to try it!!!

Cheers!

Marcos

jamespetts

Marcos,

thank you for your enquiry. I have been especially busy in the last couple of weeks, and have not had time to work on the code. There are some build errors that occur in the Linux build of 7.1 that do not occur in the Windows build whose cause I have had trouble tracking down. The last attempt at fixing the problem was around the 7th of January: see the build log here for a list of the errors. If anyone can suggest what might be done to fix them, I'd be very grateful.

knightly

James,

I think the following messages have made it pretty clear that the problem is caused by unresolved external references during linking :

gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0x6b0): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0x6dd): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0x78f): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_max_speed(weight_summary_t const&)'
gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0x803): undefined reference to `weight_summary_t::add_weight(unsigned int, int)'
gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0x869): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_max_speed(weight_summary_t const&)'
gui_convoy_label.cc:(.text+0xb31): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
gui/convoi_info_t.o: In function `convoi_info_t::zeichnen(koord, koord)':
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3c61): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3c75): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3ccd): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3d38): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_max_speed(weight_summary_t const&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3dba): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3e25): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3e90): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3efb): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3f66): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
gui/convoi_info_t.o:convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x3fd1): more undefined references to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)' follow
gui/convoi_info_t.o: In function `convoi_info_t::zeichnen(koord, koord)':
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x45d3): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_max_speed(weight_summary_t const&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x460a): undefined reference to `weight_summary_t::add_weight(unsigned int, int)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x4670): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_max_speed(weight_summary_t const&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x4d99): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x4dcf): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x502a): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x504a): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x506a): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
gui/convoi_info_t.o:convoi_info_t.cc:(.text+0x508a): more undefined references to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)' follow
simconvoi.o: In function `convoi_t::calc_acceleration(long)':
simconvoi.cc:(.text+0xc56): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
simconvoi.cc:(.text+0xc6f): undefined reference to `vtable for existing_convoy_t'
simconvoi.cc:(.text+0xcc5): undefined reference to `existing_convoy_t::update_weight_summary(weight_summary_t&)'
simconvoi.cc:(.text+0xcfc): undefined reference to `convoy_t::calc_move(long, float, weight_summary_t const&, int, int&, int&)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [sim] Error 1

In Makefile, convoy.cc has not been added to the list of source files, hence the above error messages. I think this is just a pretty simple problem -- even if you are developing using MSVC, this is just very fundamental knowledge. I really can't understand why you are not able to fix it for such a long time.

jamespetts

Knightly - it's because I have been very busy - I have had little time to look at this issue. Also, I have little experience in using makefiles. Thank you very much, however, for identifying the problem: that is most helpful.

Edit: I have now added convoy.cc to the makefile for 7.1, and pushed the modified file to Github, so, hopefully, the 7.1 build for Linux should be available to-morrow morning. Apologies to everyone for the delay!

marcosrcc

Thanks James!!! I can't wait for it :)

You are doing a great job!

Cheers!

ӔO

At the lower end of the power/weight/load scale, the game does not show the correct speed at which the convoy will move when fully loaded.

for instance, in pak britain experimental 0.4, double horse + garden seat omnibus it will show the convoy max speed as 15km/h and no low limit. However, when the convoy is loaded to about 75% capacity, it will move at a crawling 3~5km/h.

might it be a rounding error? 35 passengers x 85kg = 2.975t, but the convoy info will only show the unladen weight of 7t for the convoy.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

AEO,

there are a great many physics enhancements due in the next version - I think that this issue is fixed there.