News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Search engines?

Started by VS, December 20, 2009, 11:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VS

Just curious - it seems Google is the new Microsoft. Also, lately its results resemble more a raw dump of the internet rather than what I would like to get, sometimes... So this made me think - what are you using regularly apart from Google?

My two friends...

http://duckduckgo.com/
http://www.sprixi.com/

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Combuijs

Quoteapart from Google

Please explain. What else?  :D
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

prissi

Interesting links. Worth a try (but my students anyway end up on wikipedia with all its errors ... )

IgorEliezer

Quote from: Combuijs on December 20, 2009, 11:23:00 PM
Please explain. What else?  :D

He meant "besides Google".

Now my crazy opinion:

Lately I'm getting sick of Google. There's Google everywhere!

Search engine of Google
Books of Google
Media of Google
3D modeler of Google
Maps of Google
E-mail of Google
Browser of Google
Operating System of Google
And now a programming language of Google

... what's next? A Google's religion with almighty Google?

O noes, they are the Big Brother!

*runs*

Lmallet

colonyan

Common phenomenon.
All absolute power(well "almost" for google) leads to corruption(or seems like to be)

And Thanks for VS. Now I know alternatives!

skreyola

I rarely use Google's search engine. Like less than once a month.
I use AltaVista (and have for years (since the time when it was altavista.digital.com)) about once an hour when I'm online. http://av.com/
I only use Google's map service, because it's the best mapping service I've found, and they usually have accurate phone numbers for businesses.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Well, I have absolutely no problem with whatever search engine people want to use. I don't view Google as being evil; but then again, I don't view Microsoft that way, either. *shrug*

Spike

I sometimes compare search results from google with bing and cuil. All have their merits, google seems to be the most up to date. bing seems to try to be more context-understanding in some cases and delivers better results for those.

isidoro

For people interested in critics against Google, there's a book I've read:
"Die Google Falle", from Gerald Reischl.  I don't know if there is an English translation.

My opinion is that the problem is not Microsoft or Google.  The big problem is monopolies.

jbode

Quote from: isidoro on December 22, 2009, 12:53:10 AM
My opinion is that the problem is not Microsoft or Google.  The big problem is monopolies.

Or better to say: the blind followup by the masses ...

Within the last 10 years I had only two occasions when a map had been totally misleading - both of those events I got a google map send and just relied on that. OK the US might be better, but in Germany it seems quite crappy :(

We all get lazy using the search engines. There are othes beside Google like Altavista or http://clusty.com/ , and others more ... Google is getting evil (nonetheless the are saying they would not) as they are offering nearly all possible services by now. This is inevitable! Sad but true ...

Jörg

VS

Ah, yet another new search page to try out :)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Reddog785

Quote from: IgorTekton on December 20, 2009, 11:43:14 PM
He meant "besides Google".

Now my crazy opinion:

Search engine of Google
Books of Google
Media of Google
3D modeler of Google
Maps of Google
E-mail of Google
Browser of Google
Operating System of Google
And now a programming language of Google

*runs*

LOL. Probably a transport company next, with Google Flights and eventually they'll pay TfL to open a Google tube line! Then they'll be Google News! Google Daily Newspaper! Googlemapolitan Magazine! Google TV! It'd be like Pop music! It's everywhere!

Spike

Quote from: IgorTekton on December 20, 2009, 11:43:14 PM

[...]

Google smartphone, so that they can listen to you life ;)