News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

City Buildings

Started by wlindley, December 26, 2009, 05:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlindley

I'm still puzzling over Blender, but am working on cobbling together bits and pieces of existing structures (like Legos!) to relieve some of the monotony of the towns during some periods. 

Here's my first real attempt -- (1) correcting the shadowing for the alternate rotation of the 1750 warehouse and (2) extracting the warehouse from the Brewery and modifying it to a freestanding structure.

jamespetts

Aha! Looking excellent! I like that. It'd be wonderful to see more buildings in Pak128.Britain - keep it up!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

wlindley

Some office buildings.  1870s period, perhaps?  Using details from the Brewery tower.  (They need doors yet.)

Question: In the "copyright" field, what would be the protocol?  The brewery was drawn by "James" and then a fair amount of my work into the transmogrification.  Maybe "James and wlindley" ...?

jamespetts

When I modify vehicles, I usually use both my name and that of the original author in the copyright field, so "James and WLindley" should be fine (although, spaces are not allowed, so it would have to be James&WLindley").

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

wlindley

Thanks James, will do.  .dat & .pak files to follow shortly.  I just got the doors in (businessmen in bowlers no longer having to jump windowsills!)

prissi

Copyright is free text, so anything to a linebreak is added there ...

jamespetts

Looking excellent! And thank you for the clarification, Prissi, regarding the copyright text.

wlindley

Thanks.  Could add a space in the Copyright field but here are the .dat, .png, and .pak files in .zip form, including another industrial 1740s building (smithy, perhaps?) and one more commercial (derived from the hardware factory).

jamespetts

Excellent stuff! It's marvellous to see somebody else working on graphics for Pak128.Britain.

wlindley

Updated the .zip once more with some taller buildings (being more adventurous in the graphics).

It's nice to see how the game arranges the "dense" parts of downtowns as cities grow.  Here's a game from 1900:

jamespetts

Excellent work! Higher density commercial buildings were one thing that was particularly lacking in Pak128.Britain. If you're feeling adventurous, we could do with some modern era office buildings, too...

wlindley

Three variations on Kieron's 1970s office buildings, plus two taller versions:

updated zip file with source & pak files

jamespetts

Excellent! There is also a shortage of office buildings in the 1990s and onwards if you're very keen...

wlindley

One last 1750s industrial building (zip with source and paks updated, link above).  Next perhaps some modern-era industrial and office buildings.

jamespetts

Very nice! I love the little details.

wlindley

Next up, the 1950s. Car park...

EDIT: zip file updated with pak.

jamespetts

wlindley

a suite of 1850s industrial buildings, based on James' car factory.  i intend to add some outbuildings and doodads-and-bits yet...

jamespetts

Looking excellent so far! Any chance of a "supermarket" industry for the 1960s onwards?

wlindley

Something like this?  (Manually pasted into a screenshot, I haven't sussed how to use the tile-cutter yet.)

jamespetts

Looking nice! (Although, could do with toning down the red of the sign slightly...)

wlindley

(pakfile here) goods as per comments in various .dat files ... removed the large sign, suggestions for a replacement?  Probably needs some .dat file tuning as well.

jamespetts

Perhaps a sign something like this (with "J Sainsbury" changed to a fictional name - perhaps "K Simbury"?)

Also, do you think that you could produce a version with a clock tower like this for supermarkets appearing from the 1980s onwards?

This is rather excellent progress, though: new city buildings will make a great deal of difference to the pakset.

wlindley

That "modern" Tesco -- an imitation of a "classic" building, at about 200% scale -- hmm, possibly.

wlindley

(edited several times and updated)

Here's a sample of some 1950s buildings, showing a modern Pub, Department store, a small Supermarket ("Foodco" based on Tesco's first self-service grocery in 1951), part of the complete range (bakery, bookshop, chemist, clothes shop).  The pak includes Fishmonger, Hardware shop, Greengrocer, Newsagent too.

Here's the zip file with the .dat, source and "cut" pngs, and the pak.

Preferably these buildings would replace the "old style" shops based on their introduction dates.  Also whoever puts these in the next revision, will probably want to adjust the circa-1970s and later shops to use these as well... and perhaps change the building codes and set them to have language translations.

Oh and the zip file with all other city buildings including 1850s industrial.

jamespetts

Excellent! It's marvellous to see such diversification. One thing to bear in mind: from the 1950s onwards (and especially the 1960s), larger shops selling a wider variety of things began to replace smaller shops selling a smaller variety of things: the age of the supermarket.

One other thing that somebody needs to do at some point (although lower priority - and much easier - than the city building graphics) is to write out a text description for all of the buildings. The Simutrans tradition is for these to be somewhat humerus; perhaps the Pak128.Britain descriptions should have a distinctly dry, British sense of humour?

wlindley

Right, ...that series of commercial buildings could actually be from the 1920s on?  Would that be architecturally correct?  In any case the industry progression as currently defined, calls for these buildings in the mid 1940s... the first small 1x1 supermarket I have defined would be appropriate for the 50s when it would be mixed in with the small shops... and then the large 3x3 supermarket entering in the 1960s and becoming dominant in the 1970s.  It seems like a good progression.

Should there be a 3x3 tile 1970s era Garden Centre / Home Improvement shop to replace the Builders Yard?  I see Hardware currently becomes obsolete in 1971, but we could define an incoming Port for that, and have the Home Improvement Centre accept it...

To write descriptions, I would just edit en.txt ?

jamespetts

If the buildings were to be from the 1920s, they'd probably need to be built of brick rather than concrete, although that might just require changing a texture in Blender. One thing that perhaps could be modified with the smaller supermarkets, though, is making the gaps between them smaller: high street shops are situated on prime land, and every square metre not taken up by sales floor is a square meter wasted.

I must confess, I cannot now recall how to edit the descriptions - if you look through Pak64 and find where the existing descriptions for that pakset are stored, however, all that you'd need to do is add them in the same place for Pak128.Britain-Ex.

As to home improvement - that is not identical to hardware in the older sense, but there might be some merit in having a DIY shop from the 1960s onwards, although with a much lower distributionweight than the supermarkets, which could indeed take imported hardware. I am not sure that it should replace the builders' yard, though: are there not still builders' yards serving professional builders, distinct from DIY shops serving the general public?

The Hood

WOW!  This is brilliant!  Just returned from a Christmas break and found all these ;D

A couple of minor improvements to make though:
- The supermarket could do with some extra detail on the walls and the windows should be black to fit the style;
- The 1850 warehouses need a bit of junk in the yards.

I'd also suggest some brick shops/buildings for the 1950s onwards as well.

Keep up the good work!  Was this mostly in blender or mostly editing the existing images?

PS We will also need snow images for all new and existing buildings, so if you want it would be great if you could do them for your new ones, but you may want to wait for me to do some of the existing buildings first.

PPS you missed out the butcher's shop  and furniture shop in your new shops range.

wlindley

Thanks guys, great suggestions. 

- No extra details on the 1960s supermarket but I corrected the windows.
- Butcher, furniture shops added.
- Increased building sizes for the 1950s high street stores, and added a few variants as commercial buildings ("shops and offices").

- How about circa-1910 petrol station and auto dealership?  They're in a separate pak.

These are all done the old-fashioned pixel editing way.  Here's the updated zipfile.

jamespetts

Excellent - I love the old-fashioned garage!

The Hood

Loving it - I'm just not 100% sure about the green and blue roofs on the 1910s car dealership/petrol station - maybe they could be black/grey/brown instead?

No problems with pixel editing, just it might be harder to do snow images.

kierongreen

Love most of these graphics - great to see more people working on the project :) One building I've got a bit of an issue with is the Brewery tower one (with a pitched roof). I think that pushing it over 4 stories is a bit much, it looks too high rise for Britain at that time (even now most buildings in a medium sized town won't be much over that). That said the tall 1970's monstrosities are perfect :p

The Hood

I've added all the images I have so far to SVN, akthough the tallest 1870 tower isn't in a dat file as I agree with Kieron on the height issue.  Most are lacking snow images though, as my pixel-pushing skills are poor - any chance you could knock up snow images based on the ones I've already done wlindley?

wlindley

OK and thanks for the double-check on the 1870 tower height.  Perhaps I'll rework that one as a 1930s era or something.

I'll see what I can do to add snow to the remaining ones in SVN.