News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Short Tutorial: How to test the network mode

Started by vilvoh, January 07, 2010, 12:40:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

This is a short tutorial for those people who want to test the new network mode.

First of all, you must download a nightly version from Simutrans Nightly-Downloadpage</a>, if possible download the most recent one, with the binary and the pakset (I recommend pak64). I test it in Windows and I used the GDI version, so the binary name is simu-gdi.exe. After installing the new version, you must open two terminals (Linux) or MSDOS consoles (Windows)

Then, you must go to simutrans directory (with cd .. you go down the file tree and with cd directory go up)

The above is for the server, so you must type the following command..
simu-gdi.exe -server -log 0 -debug 0
..that will run the game in server mode. Then, inside the game we start a new world and wait for the client.

The bottom will be for the client, so you must type the following command..
simu-gdi.exe -log 0 -debug 0
..to init the client in debug mode.

Next, with the server waiting and the client initiated, we load the new world in the client with the name  net:127.0.0.1. This will cause the client to connect to the local loop, ie at your same machine so the delay (lag) should be the minimum.

Now resize the game windows to split screen mode, and you will see how to change something in one of the two, the change is reflected in both. Try to build a road, or create a bus line and buy a bus. You see how the bus moves at the same time on both screens.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Isaac Eiland-Hall

And this makes it handy to leave one in public service, and one in human :D

prissi

There is a new tool for connecting available: Putting something like "dialog_tool[28]=,n" into your menuconf.tab will enable an internet connection tool. You just have to enter teh name or the IP-number of the server you want to connect.

The local computer is either called "localhost" or "127.0.0.1". If you are connecting to a remote computer, make sure port 13353 is not blocked.

IgorEliezer

YAY!!!

Quote from: prissi on August 28, 2010, 06:07:53 PMIf you are connecting to a remote computer, make sure port 13353 is not blocked.
How do I know it? I use WinXP.

IgorEliezer

Heh. I can list the servers, but I can't join. :P

idan44

Now I just need a few friends and it is finally going to happen! Simutrans in net = SimuNet! :O
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...