News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Snow!

Started by The Hood, December 18, 2009, 11:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

Inspired by the snow in Britain at the minute I've done snow graphics for the other 3 road types.  These are the first in a rather large task of generating snow images for all the graphics in pak128.Britain  :o

prissi

The snow on the asphalt is probably overdone. Or are there zero street cleaning available in great britain? At least some places further north should have the equipment ready ... But very nice graphics!

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

asphalt freezes in winter, so I'd expect it to look a bit whiter.
otherwise I think that's an excellent job there.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Ashley

Quote from: prissi on December 18, 2009, 11:07:33 PM
The snow on the asphalt is probably overdone. Or are there zero street cleaning available in great britain? At least some places further north should have the equipment ready ... But very nice graphics!

Britain is usually woefully ill-prepared for snow, so those roads aren't entirely unrealistic.

Nice graphics though, the snow effect has been done very nicely.
Use Firefox? Interested in IPv6? Try SixOrNot the IPv6 status indicator for Firefox.
Why not try playing Simutrans online? See the Game Servers board for details.

sanna

I miss the big pile up:s of snow next to the roads... but then perhaps Britain does not get enough snow for such to form... *smile*

The Hood

Snow in Britain = chaos.  Actually the snow textures are the ones Kieron already did for the city road (already in the pak), just applied to the different road types.  As I've discovered, getting it right is very hard, so I'm grateful to have something already there, and making changes will be pretty tough too, so I'm glad people like it!

When I get round to drawing a motorway graphic, I will make sure that one is properly cleared for winter!

The Hood

Heavy snow is forecast to continue falling across much of pak128.Britain  ;D

jamespetts

Very nice indeed! Love the snowy trees.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

TheMacpau

Now all you need to fully replicate the state of british transport is to put a much reduced speed limit on all the roads and trains when they are snowy.

wlindley

Yes, TheMacpau -- But do we have a wet-leaves pak? *grin*

The Hood

Here's a snowy city scene from the 1750s.

note to wlindley - hope you like the snowy versions of your early warehouses - what do you think?

Silver

This image is excellent, the road is great!

ӔO

I think those images look great.

for the factories, you might want to add more snow in the recessed parts of the roof. usually what happens is snow piles up in any recesses, flattening their appearance more.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Beautiful! And very topical.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: The Hood on January 05, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
Here's a snowy city scene from the 1750s.

Brr!

I'm sitting here in Sunny Florida - but it's 2am, so it's not very sunny, and we're having record-breaking low temps here... it's ~25F (~-4C) out there, and out heater is broken, so it's nearly as cold in here.

Seeing that picture made me very very cold! heh. So, well done.

And besides the success in looking cold that makes me feel cold, I think it also looks very nice! I especially like the roads - even if there was debate on whether or not snow like that was realistic, I like how it looks. :D

Quote from: jamespetts on January 05, 2010, 09:41:49 PM
Beautiful! And very topical.

But not very tropical. :D

The Hood

Quote from: Isaac.Eiland-Hall on January 06, 2010, 08:12:04 AM

I especially like the roads - even if there was debate on whether or not snow like that was realistic, I like how it looks. :D

I wish I had a camera right now so I could upload a picture of the streets as seen from my office, I think then that might put the matter to rest, but let's say it looks a little like this right now, even on the main roads in the south of England (we've had 6 inches and it's still coming down)...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/8441045.stm

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

ӔO

just hope you don't get 25cm, like I did last year.
and I was in spot that got off easy. areas around here got over 50cm.

Colour safe chart:

wlindley

Quote from: The Hood on January 05, 2010, 06:59:20 PM
note to wlindley - hope you like the snowy versions of your early warehouses - what do you think?

it sends shivers down me spine!  *grin*  Excellent!

The Hood

Snowy rails too - note the lack of trains ;)

jamespetts

wlindley

But is there a wet-leaves image for track?

wipi35

Quote from: The Hood on January 07, 2010, 07:48:19 PM
Snowy rails too - note the lack of trains ;)

Must be the exit of the Chunnel I presume ;D

The Hood

Here's a snowy airfield.  The sticks are to show where the runway is - not sure how realistic that is but it looks OK.  I'm not planning on having snow images for the concrete runways, they should have snow-blowing equipment to clear these...