News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Simutrans for young kids

Started by vilvoh, January 17, 2010, 12:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilvoh

We all know Simutrans is a strategic game, a simulator but this doesn't mean it must be hard to play. As Hajo said in a interview the set of tasks to be accomplished (trade & transport) are quite primitive therefore I shouldn't mean the game mechanic must be complex. So what do I mean with this? Well, If simutrans is not as complex as it seems, even young kids should be able to play and enjoy with it, don't you think so?  take a look at these quotes from the last weeks posted at praises board...

Quote from: EvanBGood on December 10, 2009, 06:38:18 AM
[..] On top of all of that, whether it was intentional or not, I find this game extremely educational. I keep learning things about trains and signals that I never even knew before. Admittedly, I never had much experience with this kind of thing in reality, so learning what a "tender" is, is actually kind of fascinating. This is, of course, on top of the disgusting ammount of math I've been doing trying to figure out profits and such. I don't have children, but if I did, I think I would try to have them spend their time with things like this.

Quote from: DadOfCAndE on January 13, 2010, 07:46:56 PM
Hello to everyone,

I am a father of 6.5 and 5 year old boys.  I recently set up an Ubuntu machine (not regularly connected to the internet) for them and we found Simutrans during this past Christmas Holiday.  My older son is hooked, really hooked, so much so the younger hasn't ever gotten a chance to play.  And having played SimCity since it came in a white 8x10 box and all three Railroad Tycoon games during my youth -- well, it nearly goes without saying that I'm hooked also.  I cannot tell you how wonderful it is to find a game like this for my young boys.  I love the problem solving of simulation games for them -- they get great joy from the timber truck making a delivery to the paper mill -- really using that brain for something new.  Just the fact that it works and they set it up themselves brings them running to show mommy and daddy ("I built a BULLET TRAIN!").  And, as a father, I can see that they have a lot of depth with this game to explore and learn with much trial, error, and success ahead of them.  It is so wonderful -- no violence, some "real worldishness", and such intensity on their faces -- thank you so much!!

As a programmer since middle school (I wrote a pretty mean Basic on my Atari 800) I'm now up to about 25 years as a software developer, and I know a product which is cared for when I see it.  I appreciate the craftsmanship and detail you all have put into this game.  Thank you so very much from myself, Christopher, and Elison!!  We look forward to whatever is next!!

Quote from: Dwachs on January 13, 2010, 07:50:57 PM
Thank you for your kind words :) My two boys (4 years old) have also great fun watching simutrans (the TRAINS!). I wonder that your boys at such a young age already play with this program  :o

Actually this is not completly new, some people have shown here ways of using Simutrans as an educational tool but I think it's important to remark this aspect. Thus, I've decided to write an article for the blog but I don't have kids so I would like to know the opinion and personal experiencies from people who have young kids (4-10 years) or relatives that have played Simutrans. Tell us anecdotes, funny quotes or stories, etc.. Which Simutrans aspects would you point out as good for kids? Is it complex or challenging for young kids? Can they play alone without parental control?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Reddog785

I see where you are coming from. Simutrans should be used in more schools. I want to try and introduce it at my school to see if we can use it in Maths lessons.

Spike

Quote from: vilvoh on January 17, 2010, 12:54:22 PM
Actually this is not completly new, some people have shown here ways of using Simutrans as an educational tool but I think it's important to remark this aspect. Thus, I've decided to write an article for the blog but I don't have kids so I would like to know the opinion and personal experiencies from people who have young kids (4-10 years) or relatives that have played Simutrans. Tell us anecdotes, funny quotes or stories, etc.. Which Simutrans aspects would you point out as good for kids? Is it complex or challenging for young kids? Can they play alone without parental control?

I've got a school book for basic economy classes where Simutrans was mentioned for the pupils who looked for edutainment software.

I think from the basics Simutrans is quite suitable for children, since most things are indeed fairly easy. But I'm afraid the user interface is not so easy, and children will have troubles to pick it up.

Simutrans should be very child-safe though, so parents wouldn't need to worry much about their children playing alone atfer a while.

sojo

My childrens play regularly Simutrans. They play Simutrans since I have found it. (3 years?)

If you need more informations we can chat about it. Then comes my bad english not so on. ;)
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)