News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Ships for Pak128

Started by Zeno, January 24, 2010, 05:45:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeno

I've begun to draw some new ships for the early 20th century period.
This is the first candidate, a steel/goods ship based in the Black Osprey.
It still needs some work -more details and some texturing-, but I'll try to arrange some free time for it :)

Edit: Removed images. Article and images available at my blog.

Gouv

Windows look kinda strange to me, other than that a good piece of work.

VS

The height should be cropped somewhat for final renders since the hull is not floating on surface. That is not relevant much, so I'll just say - very nice!

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

Quote from: Gouv on January 24, 2010, 07:43:54 PM
Windows look kinda strange to me...
Thanks. Windows will be redesigned as they look too big. Anyway they will be finally repainted with Shades, so its color may vary.

Quote from: VS on January 24, 2010, 08:59:46 PM
The height should be cropped somewhat for final renders since the hull is not floating on surface.
Sure. It's already a bit cropped. This preview should be for the "empty" image. It will be cropped a bit more when rendering the "full" image, so it shouldn't look like floating too much :)
What I didn't thought of is opening the cargo bays; maybe I give it a try, I'll see.

VS

Call me crazy, but current look feels a bit too much even for empty. Maybe it is the isometric projection playing tricks with my mind... how does it look straight from side?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Zeno

VS

But that's not really bad... must be my eyes. Or maybe lack of higher structures on board?

Anyway, cropping from bottom is cheap. Let's not dwell on that now, it could be eventually the last step...

Zeno

Maybe you're right. I haven't checked sizes of objects on board, but at first sight the bridge looks too small, and even the cranes do :S

Zeno

Steel hauler Black Osprey updated: some more details, rescaled to definitive size, and texture improvements.

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/qVOX2CUrmO/blackosprey-previewsmall.png]Here are previews for loaded and empty versions

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/Gp7vfkAmD4/blackosprey-previewbig.png]And here a zoomed render

Note that it's scaled as IRL, but I usually make ships wider (50% extra) to make them fit better the pak style, so its aspect may change.
In the big render you can appreciate some more detail (and issues!!), just did it for fun :)

So, any suggestions??

vilvoh

I would remove the letters. They're hard to read and imho, they don't add anything special, at least as thin as they're now.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Zeno

Yep, I had thought of that... actually the text is on a different layer because of that :)
Moreover, it was supposed to be used for steel and bulk cargo, so that text makes no sense anyway.

Zeno

I will make a full set of ships for the open version of pak128. I've begun with these two steel haulers:

* The us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/4p05Eh2xTR/blackosprey.png]Black Osprey, available from 1918 to 1958.

* The us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/yJesOXSAve/edmundfitzgerald.png]Edmund Fitzgerald, available from 1958.

I will work now in some passenger liners. At the moment I've almost finished the model for the first one:

* The us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/J2yw9Th-kH/willamette-chief-preview.png]Willamette Chief, available from 1874 to 1894.

I will make a goods version for this ship, the Willamette Chief, with some minor changes.
Hope you like them all :)

vilvoh

The render of the last one is simply awesome! I'm lokking forward to see them finished..  :)

Zeno

That may take a while. I won't build the sources until I have some models complete. I want to make enough tests and see how the ships are seen into the game; so I want to have enough ships (and different) to see if the scales are adequate, and such things. Trying to decide this with only 1 or 2 ships drawn is quite difficult and risky, so I'll wait until we have enough material to take such decisions safely :)

Goods version for the us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/inCNSiqtGz/willamette-chief-goods-preview.png]Willemette Chief, first try:

It will be available from 1874 to 1919, maybe further.

wlindley

The Edmund Fitzgerald and Willemette Chief are enough to make me wonder if we shouldn't have pak128.USA ...?

The Hood

Those ships are great - If you do some generic/British ones I may have to pinch them for pak128.Britain*!

@wlindley,
I've always been a little surprised no-one has really tried a pak128.USA.  I think there have been a few half-hearted attempts, and there are some pak128 scale american bits lying around on the archive forum, e.g.
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/00699.0/index.html
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/05920.0/index.html
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/06454.0/index.html
http://archive.forum.simutrans.com/topic/06436.0/index.html

I'm pretty sure none of those artists are active anymore though.  For some reason simutrans has always seemed to get more interest from European contributors...

*I will ask nicely of course ;D

Fabio

Zeno

Thanks fabio, The Hood & Wlindley. I'm glad you like them :)

I've already worked a bit in the next ship. It's another early passenger cruiser, mid-sized (capacity for 250 passengers) steamer, from Germany & Nederlands, I think. It's name is Freya and info can be found here:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raddampfer_Freya
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Raddampfer_Freya_Kiel2002.jpg

us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/u9R-0iuX7C/freyapreview.png]Latest render

Zeno

Progress update:

• Freya almost finished. Replaced red/blue colors by player color. Updated render above
  • RMS Baltic. Started this early era (~1900) big ferry, with capacity for more than 1000 psg. Almost finished, see preview below
  • Planning to draw The Balmoral, for small/mid-size passenger ferry for 1949 and after

Preview for the us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/DowgAKI025/rms-baltic.png]RMS Baltic (with player colors)

Zeno

I've created the model for the MV Balmoral. us (site down, do not visit) ]/image/show/FpUyI4pHOH/balmoral-preview.png]Here you can see a preview

Now I will create models for the Queen Elisabeth 2 and the Zenith, so there will be 3 small and 3 big ferries. Once them are finished I'll try to make paks for all them and decide about width, weight and capacities.

Zeno

I've made a little break with passenger ships (they're though!) to draw some goods ships. The first one is inspired in the Stoyko Peev, and available from 1985. Here's a peview (click to view in real "in-game" size).

Edit: Removed images. Article and images available at my blog.

vilvoh

I love the mix of contanier colors... :)

Zeno

Glad you liked it, vilvoh :)

Now comes the time for another ship: the «Patagonia» goods ship. Available for the period just before the last one, exactly from 1951 to 1986.
Here is a small preview (click the previews to enlarge images up to real-pak size). The one on the left is the "full" ship, with deck cargo bays closed and cranes down to deck level. The right one is the "empty" ship view, with deck cargo bays open (and empty) and cranes up. Hope you like it!

Patagonia Full
Patagonia Empty

Zeno

After these two goods ships, it's time for a fishing boat. It's based in the Nororn, an artic fishing ship (a small fish factory) built in 1988 in Norway.

Btw, let me introduce a new web site (actually it's a blog) called Zeno's Simutrans Creations, where I will be posting all the new vehicles that I paint. The site is meant to be a private collection of all my addons and other contributions to the game, with some extra information and using an adequate layout for it (as I think the forum is not the right place for that). I will keep posting here about all my new stuff (of course), giving the needed links to the corresponding article at that site. I hope you all like the idea and also its content and appearance. Praises and critics are allowed :P

The link for the article on this new ship: See the Nororn at Zeno's Simutrans Creations.

Zeno

Thanks gauthier, I'm really happy you like them :)

Btw, I've added and updated articles for ships posted before in this same thread: the MV Balmoral, the Stoyko Peev and the Willamette Chief. I'll try to write articles for all finished ships in this thread asap.

fixed links --VS

sdog

zeno, you got such good looking images on your blog, it's sad we can't see them that way in game. such images and a few line of text would make the depots much more userfriendly for new players, since they new immediately what they're buying. (and get some eyecandy).

Zeno

Thanks sdog. Bigger images look nicer until you get used to them, but I guess they won't be included in the game (and I really think they shouldn't: it's called pak128 because of the tile size!). That's one of the reasons I had to write that blog :)

PS: Thanks VS for the link fixing! The summer time change really killed me yesterday :P

Zeno

Oh, it's explained at the end of each article. No ships have been released yet. They will be released when a minimum consistent pak is completed.

Edit:
Added new articles in my blog for these ships:

gauthier

oops, didn't read the end of each article  ;D
looking forward to the first release ;)

Zeno

Hi again, I'm getting slowly back to work with ships, as long as I'm starting to have few (very few indeed) free time to spend here :)
This time I worked in a bulk ship, which isn't very detailed (I think in simple concept :p), but I feel is nice enough to consider it finished.
Its name is MV Lake Illawarra, it's Australian, and it sailed between 1958 and 1975, when was sunk in the Tasman Bridge disaster.
Blog link here: MV Lake Illawarra

Zeno

Quote from: gauthier on June 20, 2010, 09:13:09 AM
it's a nice one, as usual ;)
Thanks a lot, gauthier. I'm happy you like them :)

Btw, I've three more ships on the desk, which are a cooled goods ship, a tanker and a car carrier. I'll start with them as soon as I have some more time.

But there is need for ships to transport wood, grain and wool/cotton. I don't have any reference/idea to make those ships, if you have any, please make suggestions here. I've only thought of making only two ships for all these, one for wood and another for farm products. Maybe I could use a remake of the steeler Edmund Fitzgerald for the wood transport... What do you think?

VS

When searching it's probably good to replace "wood" with "lumber" since that is the least ambiguous term (imo). I got at least some useful images that way...