News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

1750 inn

Started by Archon, January 24, 2010, 07:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archon

I started working on this yesterday but cant get it right.

I tried to make it look something like that http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/216871

Feedback and improvement ideas are more than welcome.

Gouv

Umm, is it painted or rendered? Looks more like rendered to me, in that case I'd suggest to get a nice texture for the roof and windows.
It would change the look a lot.
Edit: Forgive me, i always try to texture everything, but nobody will see much of them on those tiny windows  :D

The Hood

Looks promising.  How did you do this?  If in blender then it should be easy to get the image looking more like everything else without too much trouble.  I'd take a look at the following:

1) Lighting - doesn't seem quite right, looks more top down rather than from the top left.  If you're using blender, download a template model from here: http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/pak128Britain-blender-examples.zip and use the lighting setup from the building model.
2) Textures - Walls and roof are too plain and need a texture.  The wall texture should probably be fairly subdued, but I'd use an image for the texture on the roof, e.g. the one I've attached (in blender you can colour it as well if you want a redder roof).
3) Height - the whole thing looks a little tall compared with what it should look like from the photo.  Maybe just shrink a little along the vertical axis

PS welcome to the forum - and very nice to have a first post as a graphics contribution!

The Hood

Yes, definitely an improvement :)

I still reckon it is lacking some detail though (maybe some drainpipes, dirt, plants, signs, things like that) and could still do with being slightly less tall. 

A snow image would be good too.

Archon

Version 3.

Chimney and drainpipe fixed after I took this image.
File on my previous post has been updated.

The Hood

I like it!  Just one more improvement suggestion, which would be some extra detail on the windows (have a look at it next to the other 1750-era houses in the pak, and try to reproduce the white window frames in the real life image, that sort of thing).  At the minute the windows look a little plain. 

If you can make this change I would like to include this image in the next official release of the pak.  Are you happy with that, and with me releasing the sources under the open source licence?

Archon

Latest version with textured windows.

I have nothing against including it to official pak.

The Hood

Perfect!  It's going in then :)

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

Archon

I noticed few glowing pixels in this. Fixed in latest version.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/jusskiiv/building.A_1750_inn.pak.zip

The Hood

I've already removed special colours from the version in SVN, so if you've compiled this as part of pak128.Britain from SVN, you don't need to worry.