News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Larger Passenger/Mail Catchment Area For Long Distance Transport

Started by cascadia, January 26, 2010, 09:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cascadia

I know that I posted a version of this idea before, but this new version is more detailed.

In the real world, people drive to airports and train stations, and other stations for long distance transport, to take a train/plane/ship/etc. to a destination that's far away.  However, in Simutrans, you have to connect all of the town to long distance transport using mass transit in order to have people use your long distance transport.  In the real world, this would be like having to take the bus to the airport in order to get on a plane; you can't drive there.  It makes no sense.  The same situation occurs with long sitance mail transport, since in RL you can simply drive to a UPS/FedEx/DHL/post office to send long distance mail.  We should start allowing private traffic to long distance transport stations (AKA allowing private cars to drive to an airport to catch a plane to someplace far away) to gain more realism.  Any ideas for this?

prissi

Just cover the twon with connected bus stops will do the trick. Or use larger catchments radii, it is very easy to do.

Furthermore this game is on conencting stuff ...

cascadia

Quote from: prissi on January 26, 2010, 09:58:19 PM
Just cover the twon with connected bus stops will do the trick. Or use larger catchments radii, it is very easy to do.

Furthermore this game is on conencting stuff ...

Larger catchments for ALL stations would not allow you to run both, say, long distance airlines that DON'T depend on local transit and local transport.  I suppose what I'm looking for is a way to have stations of different catchments in one single game.  Is this possible?

kierongreen

No, all stations have the same radius of coverage.

Note that every time I go to the airport it's by public transport, I'm sure I'm not the only one :p If you tried simulating a full range of private transport use in simutrans you'd end up with huge traffic jams clogging the roads...