News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

Maglev in pakbritain size (work in progress)

Started by ӔO, January 30, 2010, 08:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwachs

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on February 13, 2010, 05:55:09 AM
They looks great (and thanks for good idea  :)) - but I am worried about this: trains will be invisible for short while between coming on this tile and real missing in tunnel (or appearing on surface).  ???
.. this is how the engine works. To overcome this, move the tunnel entry forward one half tile.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

The Hood

That is why the existing pak128.Britain tunnels are all box tunnels - a similar design would probably be best.

ӔO

ok, I modified the tunnels a bit, made them open up at the half tile point.
If I was to do box tunnels, I would just modify the existing tunnels in pak128 britain so that they have maglev tracks.

which one would be good? shadows/no shadows?

My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

VS

Just a speculation, but the effect might be even worse with vehicles longer than half a tile (which the maglev is).

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

I've had a go with the current pak128.Britain tunnels and new maglev track and this is the result.  Personally I prefer this - it is more consistent with the rest of the pak and the duplex still fits in the tunnel :)

I've also put a vertical offset of 3 pixels on the maglev trains, as I tried out some with existing stations, and they were too low to the ground.  Hopefully this looks OK.

wlindley

New buildings, new trains, ...it just keeps getting better!

Any chance of a preview maglev .pak ?

The Hood

You can download AEO's original sources a few posts up.  There's a bit of tidying up to do before things make it into SVN, but it will be in the next official release.

Václav

The Hood: Thanks for your screenshots. I was not worried about duplex can fit into tunnel - but still I am worried about it doesn't fit to depot.

AEO: As I see on screenshot by The Hood, duplex's front car needs improving shade - it is a little darker than middle cars and also it does not fit so well on track like those ones - because a little higher layer of air is between track and car.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

wlindley

Thanks, missed that.  Looks great in-game!

Bug: The .dat references RMU_boxcars.png but the file name is RMU_Boxcars.png (capitalization is important except on Windows).  

ӔO

@vaclav

hmm, that's odd, because they were all redone in the same render.

@hood, looks good.

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

I can't see a problem with the duplex either.  There are a few issues with the tracks especially where there are connections between normal track and bridges - I've had a go at fixing them but it still needs more work.

For the depot, I think for consistency it's probably best if I adapt one of the existing train depots and make one that fits duplex maglevs in.

ӔO

@hood
I think it's the graphics engine itself that causes those weird behaviours. It's just that the height of the tracks causes the problems to be more pronounced than road or rail images that sit lower.

I believe it happens on all slope to flat ground tiles, so that's tunnels and bridges.

Colour safe chart:

Václav

Quote from: AEO on February 14, 2010, 05:05:41 PM
hmm, that's odd, because they were all redone in the same render.

I understand your complaint because it is clear also to me that when it is rendered from the same, it is very odd ... but it is as I wrote. I don't understand it too.  ;)

I think you already did it but ... this is enlarged one of critical screenshot:

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

ӔO

aha, upon double checking, it would appear that I used the wrong colours on the head unit.
sharp eye you have there vaclav ;)

will make a fixed version soon.

fixed version:

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Still can't see the problem, but if it's fixed... ;)

About the track, it's impossible to prevent some glitches, but I think some tracks on the bridge were a few pixels short.  I've made some improvements which should help at least.  Also getting some odd behaviour with pillars, but not sure why I can't solve that one :(

The Hood

@AEO,

Just want to check that you are happy to release your maglev stuff as part of pak128.Britain under the artistic license?  I'm planning on doing the following before release, if that's OK with you (and you are not planning any more work on this yourself straight away):
- fix a couple of track alignment issues as best I can (I've already fixed a couple)
- adapt existing train or tram depot for use as a maglev depot in consistent pak128.Britain style

I'll also release with my box tunnel and kierongreen's station as per screenshots above, assuming no major objections to that, and no-one else has spotted anything critical which needs fixing from the test version.

The Hood

I think the maglev is now ready to go in SVN shortly.  Here's a final taster screenshot, showing the new goods platforms, depot and tunnel I have drawn to go with AEO's wonderful set.  These should now make everything playable.

MoTw

world is like a parachute: it works better when it's open
whenever you feel lost and alone, always remember your calculator is something you can count on
pak96.comic addons

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

looks spiffy!

@hood
yep, no problem with license, copyright or objections on my part.

Colour safe chart:

werl

I love the Maglev.  ;D But, I would like a more complete cargo set, like a tanker, car carrier, bulk goods car and live stock. if you could, it would be nice, but I don't need it.

Thanks
C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

ӔO

thanks for feedback werl.
currently there are no plans for bulk, long and fluid carriers, but there might be a car carrier. I'll see what The Hood has to say.

The current way I see it, is that by the time the freight maglev is introduced, all the goods requiring fast transport use airplanes. Maglev is the alternative to airplanes and when used, will free up the railways for slow and heavy goods like bulk, wood, steel and petrol fluids. The car carrier is a 'maybe' because, from what I understand, this pakset does take into account real world trends and there might be a reduced reliance on cars by 2012.

Colour safe chart:

jamespetts

Quote from: AEO on February 27, 2010, 10:10:27 PM
...there might be a reduced reliance on cars by 2012.

That is in two years' time...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

ӔO

@james
I probably meant to say a reduced production rate.

actually, the biggest reason why I haven't done any car carriers for the maglev was because I haven't gotten around to modelling any cars and I was unsure of what sort of look a high speed car carrier would look like.

it certainly would have to be enclosed, might look a bit bland if all the panels were streamlined...

Colour safe chart:

werl

OK, just thought I would put it out there.

Still like the idea

Ps. love the Maglev set!! If there was a contest for design, you would get the :award:
run\dos\run

The Hood

As I've said before I don't think maglevs would ever be used for bulk or bulk fluid freights.  The expense of constructing them far outweighs the benefits as these products are not time-critical.  That is one reason that coal traffic is still mostly transported by rail in the UK but other loads are taken by road.

By all means make an add-on for download, but I probably won't include it in official releases.

ӔO

ok, well since there is a desire for the remaining freight categories, I will work on them along with a few other maglev trains I have in the works.

Colour safe chart:

werl

Thanks a lot. I prefer the speed of the maglev over the rail. especially when traveling over long distances.
run\dos\run

werl

I have modified AEO's cars to make my own. If it's OK with AEO, I will post it for people to try.
run\dos\run

The Hood

As they are released under the open source license, there shouldn't be a problem if you release modifications as long as you credit AEO with his work...

TheMacpau

What happened to the original tunnel designs? I really liked the original high speed maglev tunnel entry. I looked like the sort of thing we would make to try and minmise tunnelboom.

The Hood

I adapted the pak128.Britain rail tunnels because:
1) graphical consistency
2) box tunnels work better with the simutrans graphics engine

werl

My maglev car is available by e-mail only for now. If someone will post it on sourceforge and post a link in here, please do. but for now, use the e-mail for now.

If you want them, e-mail me atwerl2@me.com and I will send it to you as soon as possible.

Ps. you need the ALL the pak files included for it to work.
run\dos\run

ӔO

ah, you guys caught me before I had a chance to complete the images...

front to back, long goods, bulk goods, autorack, fluids, and more variations of containers.

Colour safe chart:

werl

run\dos\run