News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Attempting installation of pakset leads to this

Started by Reddog785, January 16, 2010, 11:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reddog785

I download the pakset, extract it to the Simutrans folder, say yes to all about file replace, and then load load Simutrans. What do you get? You hope for the game to load with the new pakset. What really happens? Fatal Error and Simutrans becomes unplayable. :o
I clearly need to reinstall Simutrans, but before I do, I have two questions:
1.How to properly install paksets?
2.How to backup save files?

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Reddog785

Quote from: vilvoh on January 16, 2010, 11:20:21 PM
For the first point, check this post.

That is what I did. I'll have to reinstall the whole thing! Does anyone know how to backup savefiles?

Reddog785

Please? I asked nicely! There dosen't appear to be practically ANYONE currently browsing this forum! We need help and we're not going to get it from the thin air! :police: :police: :police:Call the Help Police! Arrest this forum for Inactivity! lol

Reddog785

Please start replying, this problem has wrecked my day and even made me cry...
I want to backup my savefiles cuz of the massive networks I've built...

VS

Lookit, I am replying!

/end sarcasm

Saves are either in simutrans/save or Documents/simutrans/save. They have .sve extension.

If you have all the zip files which you used to install in first place, then why do you think this should be so much work? It's easy :) If you don't ... too bad, download again?

I suggest that you first unzip simutrans, then someplace else (different folder) the pakset and look what was inside. Typically pakset zips should create folder simutrans and inside pakXYZ. Nothing else. (XYZ will be something else, like 128, German and so on)

When you look at first picture in the post vilvoh linked to, you will notice that folder simutrans contains the .exe, some other stuff and folders pakXYZ. To install a pakset, you just copy its pakXYZ folder to simutrans folder.

PS: I forgot to say - upgrading is not done by unzipping over existing installation. This often leaves behind some old files and causes crashes. Your (somewhat vague) description makes me think this is a possibility, so... just make sure you're not doing this ;) You're better off having a complete new copy. You can install Simutrans as many times as you wish, so there should not be a problem with that...

Does this help or do you need even more detailed instructions?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Reddog785

Sorry about that, I just missed Simutrans so much and didn't know what to do! ???
Anyhow, can I backup my savefiles if I reinstall using the On-line installer again?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VS, in the place where I should find the savefiles, ther is nothing but a 0 KB file called "delete.me" what should I do with it?

Gouv

Quote from: Reddog785 on January 16, 2010, 11:12:57 PM
2.How to backup save files?
Do a search for .sve Files and backup those.
Btw. what Operating System are you using?

On Windows XP the sve's are in 'My Documents\simutrans\save\' Folder.

Reddog785

Thanks for your support. I've now backed up the files into a folder on Desktop. Now to reinstall Simutrans.

DirrrtyDirk

Quote from: Reddog785 on January 16, 2010, 11:25:51 PM

Quote from: Reddog785 on January 16, 2010, 11:56:02 PM
Please? I asked nicely! There dosen't appear to be practically ANYONE currently browsing this forum! We need help and we're not going to get it from the thin air! :police: :police: :police:Call the Help Police! Arrest this forum for Inactivity! lol

Quote from: Reddog785 on January 17, 2010, 12:20:13 AM
Please start replying,

Ok some general issue here:

1.) Please don't double (or even triple) post here - it's against forum rules.
2.) Please show some more patience. This whole community works entirely on people spending their free time here - out of pure helpfulness and courtesy. And that certainly does not include a 24h/day instant response service. Also you might want to keep in mind that you wrote these posts after midnight CET - and we have quite a few European members here. After all, this is no software company and this forum is no paid support help desk.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Reddog785

So, you mean: Post at 1AM or something or wait.

vilvoh

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

DirrrtyDirk

On 1) yes, just modify your previous post instead of making a new one (unless someone else posted in the same thread or at least 24h have passed - just as it says in the forum rules)

On 2) You can of course post whenever you want. But time of posting will of course affect response time - people sleeping in their beds are obviously quite unlikely to reply. However, you should actually never complain about not getting answers within an hour (or even a day) like you did up there. It's simple: nobody makes any demands here.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****