News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

problem with trains lenght

Started by gauthier, February 16, 2010, 05:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

It's not a bug but a conception probem ...
I have a train which is just four pixels longer than a station so it needs a entire station tile to be fully used.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

So, what is the extension request you're making?

VS

Strictly sppeaking, pixels don't matter. Length=? in dat file does.

The last overlapping car will cause problems with signals anyway, so it is more practical to think of the train as longer, not shorter...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Isaac Eiland-Hall

I'm moving this to Help Requests until the "extension" being requested is clarified. :)

gauthier

This "extension" just concerns stations, not signals. As explained in the first picture, the last vehicle which is ... about 90% in the station should be in the station. This is my problem : in the joined picture, the last vehicle of this train is graphically IN the station (maybe three or four pixels out .....) but Simutrans do as the vehicle isn't in the station so this vehicle is clearly useless in the train.

If I modify the length, it will cause graphical problems on the junction between the two parts of the train.

So I clarify the extension request :
_ include a vehicle in a station if it's at least 50% or 75% in the station.
or : move the station tile limit backward of 24 or 32 pixels (this second purpose can cause strange things with very little vehicles)

Isaac Eiland-Hall

It sounds more to me like a bug report, but there's enough information to argue that it is a request for a change in the Simutrans engine.

Sorry to be a bother, gauthier, but I do appreciate the more specific request. :)

Moving back to Extension Requests :)

prissi

If you have a curve directly before the station, you will see that in certain direction the train is not in the station. It might change, siche currently a new system to avoid drawing error is under testing; but that means realignment of nearly everything, so it may never change your request.

Spike

I wonder who came up with the idea to have vehicle lengths that are not even fractions of the tile length (1/1 - old ships, 1/2 - old vehicle, 1/3 - never used).

Some ideas just cause problems. And the only benefit is they are "realistic".

Simutrans is a tile based game, not a continuous world. I saw and see numerous problems stemming from the new, variable vehicle lengths.

Same as map rotations which was like begging for problems.

skreyola

I've run across this problem. It seems to me a train a little longer than the station would, IRL, pull the engine beyond the platform and load all cars. Not sure how this can be fixed in ST, but it does seem to me that it would be cool if the loco weren't able to throw off a whole care by so much in the game's reckoning that it wouldn't load at all, even though it is mostly in the station.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

Dwachs

Some locomotives can be coupled at the end of the train, then more wagons fit into the stations.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

gauthier

These are temporary solutions ...

but at the end, I think that a vehicle which is 4 pixels longer than the station should be IN the station.

prissi

Developer think otherwise. Until you do the coding you have to bear with it. ==> Closing this topic