News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

simuconf.tab and default value

Started by z9999+, February 24, 2010, 01:35:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

z9999+

In simutrans 102-2 and after version, all value of config/simuconf.tab is commented out.
I don't like this because of reason below.

- Player can't know current setting value.
- Player can't restore default value easily.

Example.
Default max_transfers value is 9.
max_transfers value in pak.german/config/simuconf.tab is 15.
max_transfers value is not defined in pak/config/simuconf.tab.

In this case, if once we start a game of pak.german, max_transfers=15 is stored in settings.xml and default.sve

Next time if we start a new game of pak64, max_transfers=15 will be used. But plyer can't know such a thing. Players always think it is default.
There is Simuconf.tab and Default.sve button on Seting dialogue, but these buttons are also not possible to restore default value.

Only the way to restore default value is delete Simuconf.tab and Default.sve.
This is inconvenience for players.

Max_transfers thing is not the special case, all value are the same.
If one pakset defined but other pakset undefined, this problem will always happen.

How do you think about this problems ?
Especially problem is pak.german, which defined many values which are not defined in other pakset.

Spike

Quote from: z9999+ on February 24, 2010, 01:35:46 PM
How do you think about this problems ?
Especially problem is pak.german, which defined many values which are not defined in other pakset.

I don't want to say pak.german is the problem. The problem is that values defined for pak.german sneak into other games, and Simutrans needs to avoid this.

I'd  encourage all paks to ship a simuconf.tab with a complete list of config options set. So that it's ensured that a pak runs with it's best defaults.

prissi

@z9999+
Ypu are right. I think setting these values explicitely is a better option at the moment.

My idea was, that certain parameters, that can be alter via the dialoge, should be easily overidably. Maybe a better solution would be pak set dependent default.sve files?