News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Release of Pak128.Britain 1.07

Started by The Hood, February 25, 2010, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hood

The latest version of pak128.Britain is now available! Get it here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/simutrans/files/pak128.britain/pak128.britain%20for%20102-0/pak128Britain_1-0-7_0-102.zip/download

Main new features in this release:
- AEO's maglev
- New Citybuildings from Archon and Wlindley
- Snow images for lots more things
- More sailing boats

As ever, please report any problems here.

Full changelog:
   FIX: Mk3/3a Carriage Constraints
   FIX: 4Vep Acceleration/Speed
   ADD: 4 Rotations and Snow images for all attractions/monuments
   ADD: Fountain monument
   CHANGE: Nelson's Column is now 2x2
   ADD: 4 Rotations with Snow for all townhalls
   ADD: Electrical substation (wlindley)
   ADD: 1750 inn (Archon)
   FIX: Snow graphics not showing for some citybuildings
   FIX: TTA Tanker wagon running cost
   FIX: Horse and cart intro date
   CHANGE: Livestock weight increased
   ADD: Snow images for depots
   ADD: Snow images for grass runway/taxiway
   FIX: remove special colours from some images
   ADD: new citybuildings and snow images by Archon and WLindley
   ADD: Wlindley's industry graphics
   ADD: New sailing boats
   CHANGE: Speeds on all boats
   ADD: AEO's Maglev
   FIX: 12t cooled wagon dates
   FIX: Pub image needs ground
   ADD: Brick viaduct elevated way
   ADD: Wooden trestle road bridge
   ADD: Diagonal roads
   ADD: 2 new citybuildings by Archon
   FIX: Archon citybuilding graphics
   FIX: Pavement image
   CHANGE: new demo.sve by AP

Dwachs

I really like the demo savegame! Extremely well done! All other paksets should follow this example!
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

ӔO

two things I noticed.

the demo.sve is not set to "free play mode" and the game will reset if it's left for too long.

masonry tarmac bridge has a few pixels that got smudged
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

AEO,

Thanks for the report.  Is it possible to make a game freeplay after starting?  In any case, it is possible to keep playing after bankrupcy, just close all dialogues and continue as if nothing had happened... :)

ӔO

yep, it's possible to change to freeplay after starting.
no big deal, but I figure I should mention it, in case someone wanted to explore the demo, which is what I did.
I think it's quite awesome for the limited amount of space given.

Colour safe chart:

sanna

Wanted to test the new maglevs... but fail to find either track nor depot... Where they not included or am I just not seeing them?

Dwachs

Maybe you started with timeline on and they are not available yet in your game?

ӔO

maglevs start from 2004.
the really good maglevs appear after 2012

Colour safe chart:

ӔO

all road diagonals have a lot of special colours in them, especially the snow versions.

also found a pair of special colours in slaughter house.

Colour safe chart:

sanna

Quote from: AEO on February 26, 2010, 12:19:07 PM
maglevs start from 2004.
the really good maglevs appear after 2012
Ah, that explains it then... I started at 2000.... Sorry for troubling you :(

ӔO

no problem sanna, it's not exactly explained, so it's never a bad idea to ask :)

Colour safe chart:

Archon

Found "minor" glitch in my 1880 shops and offices snow image.
Half of the background is white.

The Hood

Thanks for the reports.  Will make sure these get fixed soon.

ӔO

this might be a matter of opinion, but the small cricket and soccer fields seem excessively white compared to the terrain snow.

and I don't know which one it is, but one of the private horse drawn carriage in 1886 is not aligned to the road correctly when going upwards (NW) on a diagonal. looks like it's walking in the gutter.

update: actually I think it's all of the horses and carriages?

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Snow: yes possibly.  I went for it so you could still distinguish the edge of pitches from surrounding snow.  Could be changed if necessary.

Road vehicle alignments - I think there is a general problem here.  If anyone feels like it, they could take the dats and re-align using offsets.  That would be really helpful and one less thing for me to do...

sanna

Found some stray shining pixels in the night....

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/shining_pixels.jpg

Edit: I think checking all diagonal city roads is wise... there are other angles also affected. Please also note that there is a single shining pixel on the roof of the butchery.

Edit 2: MasonryViaductRoad is also affected.

ӔO

tram track has maximum speed of 175km/h, and the tramway catenary has 100km/h max.
I think the fastest tram in the game is 85~90km/h?

btw, I really like the elevated viaduct  ;D

Colour safe chart:

The Hood

Tram tracks need some work at some point.  Ideally we need a couple of tram track variants for street running, which would all have low speeds (street-running trams are usually limited to ~30mph/50kmh in real life as that is the speed limit of the road).  The plan is to have a range of non-street tracks with higher speeds as the timeline progresses too, to take advantage of the higher speed capabilities of the modern trams.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on March 03, 2010, 08:20:34 AM
Tram tracks need some work at some point.  Ideally we need a couple of tram track variants for street running, which would all have low speeds (street-running trams are usually limited to ~30mph/50kmh in real life as that is the speed limit of the road).  The plan is to have a range of non-street tracks with higher speeds as the timeline progresses too, to take advantage of the higher speed capabilities of the modern trams.

Can't ordinary railway tracks be used for that?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

I was thinking urban segregated tracks, along the lines of the ones you get in pak96.comic.

jamespetts

Quote from: The Hood on March 03, 2010, 12:23:08 PM
I was thinking urban segregated tracks, along the lines of the ones you get in pak96.comic.

Ahh - they'd look different to ordinary rail tracks? I thought that they looked indistinguishable from ordinary concrete sleeper tracks, but perhaps I'm wrong...?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AP

Quote from: The Hood on February 25, 2010, 08:17:19 PM
   ADD: Brick viaduct elevated way
Quick question - is a road version of this viaduct on the cards at some point? Have been discovering just how useful the viaduct-around-corners thing is! It's an excellent new feature.

I also assume (?) that a taller version is rather more difficult to engineer (it'd be useful, but only in certain situations). The current one is 'programmed' to drop down a slope if it encounters one, rather than maintain constant altitude, which would arguably be more useful (but again, only in certain situations).

The Hood

Ultimately various elevated ways are planned for both road and rail.  One high is the maximum allowed by the game engine, although you can build one elevated way on top of another elevated way to create double-elevated ways and connect them with bridges.  You may then be able to remove the lower one but it might look a bit strange.

AP

That's good.
Quote from: The Hood on March 03, 2010, 03:38:29 PMOne high is the maximum allowed by the game engine, although you can build one elevated way on top of another elevated way to create double-elevated ways and connect them with bridges.  You may then be able to remove the lower one but it might look a bit strange.
I found that, and it does, without the piers to hold them up. An easy solution could be if one of your alternate versions were a 'nothing' version, with no top surface (only brick) - designed specifically to allow stacking / double bridges (for which there are some precedents at least) - because if one uses the road or rail for the lower version, you see a road running into a pier and then carrying on (which is odd to say the least).

wlindley

1. Slight mixup: All the 1910 BackImage in petrol-station.dat should refer to 1910-car-dealer -- right now they refer to 1910-petrol-station as shown:

Quotename=CarDealership1910
BackImage[2][0][0][0][0][0]=1910-petrol-station.0.0

2. Brickworks 1800 retires in April 1850, but Brickworks 1850 introduced December 1854, leaving 4-year gap.

3. Cementworks has similar 4-year gap.

4. Printworks 1950 retires 1/1970 but  Printworks 1970 introduced 3/1972.

5. CarFactory1910 retires  1922, CarFactory1925 introduced 5/1925.

jamespetts

WLindley,

I think that I was responsible for the industry dates - apologies for the gaps! The best solution, I think, is to swap the retirement dates of the earlier industries with the introduction dates of the later industries, to replace the gap with an overlap.

dannyman

Nice Work!

On the previous version I found that running ships for goods in 1930 was way too cheap, and trucks still hard to break even.  Since building canals was comparable in expense to building rail lines, but the vehicle purchase and running costs of ships were way cheaper, I started running canals instead.

-danny

The Hood

Thanks for the feedback.  Factory bugs will be fixed soon (i.e. when I get time).  Relative pricing for trucks/trains/canals is a major exercise which I am deliberately leaving for now (a) because I don't have time, (b) because it isn't much fun, (c) I haven't got all of the ships and planes yet, (d) it gives more time for feedback like danny's which will mean I do a better job of it.  In the 1930s, trains should be the preferred method for longer distance hauling, with shipping competitive (but not really canals).  Trucks should probably be a bit easier than what you say, but they should only take off properly in the 1950s.  If anyone has any more feedback about how well the pakset manages this at different time periods, I'd like to hear.

The Hood

Factory dates should now be fixed in SVN.

Dwachs

Bug report:

Pillar problems with brick-viaducts can be fixed/reduced defining

pillar_asymmetric=1

I tried this out with the BrickViaduct. After rotation the pillars are off but this seems more like a bug in the code.

All bridge ramps need foreground graphics (at least the brick-viaduct like bridges).

Same goes for the 'Brick Platform with overroof': the green roof construction should be always in the foreground graphics (requires cutting of existing graphics brick-platform-overall.0.1 and 0.2).

The Hood

OK thanks, I'll see what I can do to fix this.  Are there similar graphics/dats in pak64 I could use to compare against and do the same thing?

Dwachs

For the bridge pillars: I think the asymmetric property has to be set if the pillars are on the edge between tiles (rather than in the middle of the tile).

For a station in the simutrans repository at sourceforge: pak64/player/gcg-station.dat and gcg-singapore2.png. (Not directly the same since the pak64 has platforms also between the tracks under the roof).

Basically everything that should be drawn over trains have to go into foreground: platforms if in front of track and roofs are good candidates.