News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Older Versions

Started by greasemonkeyredneck, August 08, 2008, 01:01:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greasemonkeyredneck

I have been playing version 0-82-15-7 for some time with great pleasure. I recently downloaded version 100-0. While I think its still a great game with many improvements, it runs very slow and "jerky" on my computer. Is there somewhere online now that I can get and try out older versions of the game, maybe a version somewhere in between the two I have now?

Combuijs

That must be quite an old computer then! To my knowledge the performance of Simutrans has not really suffered from the "Windows-disease", e.g. running slower and needing more memory with every version. My oldest version is 0.81.1...

But there might be some issues, for example sounds in the Linux version. You could try to run Simutrans with the -nomidi option, this might improve things. Otherwise, telling us a bit more about your computer or operating system might help...

Good luck.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

greasemonkeyredneck

I bought the computer last year. Running Vista Home Basic on it. I have 2gigs of RAM. I don't understand why it's running slow. I'm still trying several different things as far as testing it to make it run better. I'm not haveing much luck though.

Also, if I tamper at all in setting up a new world, like increasing or decreasing the number of cities or increasing the number of industries, it'll take forever for a world to load. More often than not, it'll just freeze up and stop responding.

If you read under installing Simutrans on this site, I also had some confusion in the beginning even getting the game to run at all. I'm starting to think maybe something is awry with my computer. That's why I want older versions (just not as old as the one I've been playing) to try out.

greasemonkeyredneck

Better yet, I'd be absolutely thrilled is I could just add certain features to my older version, such as the food service industry for more industry variety. Is this possible?

Another queestion I've had. I'm haveing trouble getting my offshore oil rigs producing in my older version. Does it have to be past a certain year r something before they produce?

Another feature I noticed on 100-0 that I liked was the planes. I don't even dare think I could get that on the older one though.

wipi35

Quote from: Combuijs on August 08, 2008, 01:43:49 PM
But there might be some issues, for example sounds in the Linux version. You could try to run Simutrans with the -nomidi option, this might improve things. Otherwise, telling us a bit more about your computer or operating system might help...

-nomidi gives also a major improvement om my WinXP machine with 256 k  M RAM. And I also  have a more "jerky" performance as with earlier versions, can't remember anymore which.  ???

Quote from: greasemonkeyredneck on August 08, 2008, 01:55:54 PM
I bought the computer last year. Running Vista Home Basic on it. I have 2gigs of RAM. I don't understand why it's running slow.

That's bad news, I plan to buy a new PC with Vista within a few weeks.  >:(  >:(

prissi

Try the nightly then. Should be much smoother, especially on powerful machines (more important is, by the way, processor power, as dualcores tend to be often slower than old single cores.)

Tomas

Switch off other companies. I have a powerful computer (C2D@3GHz, 4GB RAM, 64bit OpenSUSE), but when he puts AI (stand up to 250 trucks) and the game does not responding.
Simutrans has one disadvantage:does not support multi-core processors and using only one core :(

When you need - I have a very old version of the game: link.

wernieman

Wich resolution have you on your Screen?

If you make the windows smaller, the it will be faster ....
I hope you understand my English

greasemonkeyredneck

It does run better with a smaller screen. However, something called age is getting to me. I can hardly see it well enough to play unless I maximize the screen.

My computer is runnin 32 bit color with a 1280x800 pixel resolution.

greasemonkeyredneck

Thanks for the real old version of Simutrans. I really wasn't looking for one THAT old. However, I downloaded it for the fun of it. This is a version I was playing back some years ago when I first was introduced to Simutrans. Nostalgic.

leopard

drop your screen resolution?

maybe something like 800x600, make each dot bigger, then run the game at 800x600 'full screen'?
My Simutrans on the apple mac homepage http://www.aleopardstail.com/simutrans/Index.html

Spike

I've been using that trick a long while. Used it fullscreen in 800x600 on a 1280x1024 pixel LCD screen. It's a bit blurry, but fairly eye friendly (size-wise, except the blurryness. And runs more smoothly.)

Ormac

Quote from: greasemonkeyredneck on August 08, 2008, 02:01:32 PM
Better yet, I'd be absolutely thrilled is I could just add certain features to my older version, such as the food service industry for more industry variety. Is this possible?

Another queestion I've had. I'm haveing trouble getting my offshore oil rigs producing in my older version. Does it have to be past a certain year r something before they produce?

Another feature I noticed on 100-0 that I liked was the planes. I don't even dare think I could get that on the older one though.

Using Pak 64 you can add in the food chains onto the base pak64 (and maybe also computer industry) if you can find the appropriate bundles.

Planes were in 88.10.5 (and a few versions earlier). The community had waited a long time.
climates [mountains, tundra, dessert] was added in 90.00. being able to view and build stations underground was introduced in 99.03.  And lots of other goodies as well

(check the history file from 100.0 for all the detail)

Ormac 8)
Simutrans Reference Material Blog SRM very wet ink
Download Simutrans Reference Material from http://docs.simutrans.com