News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

Cargo payment and distance

Started by colonyan, March 05, 2010, 04:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonyan

I think this applies especially to freights but how about applying some kind of mark distance per
     cargo type where it is payed to its fullest price to that point and payment decrease as exceeding
     that designated distance. I think business have some kind of price limit per cargo unit it can
     afford or capable to pay.

Example, for raw wood, paper mill could pay full price for raw wood coming within X distance.
     Exceeding X distance it will pay less for the distance greater than X.

Player will need to think about bring-in cargo from closer distributor if there is one to lower the risk.

It could help controlling high revenue obtained from hauling very long distance using basic track/road.
     Ah I kind of can guess it is too computational wise too costly especially for passenger and mail.
     Just an idea witch crossed my mind yesterday while playing.

vilvoh

Perhaps that max distance might be the average producer range. The value is calculate just once, at the begining of the map. Well, actually it would be always the same value, as that attribute (factory range) is static. Perhaps we can divide or multiply it by the amount of producers of each good..

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

Isn't there already some restriction in the distance that factories are prepared to connect to each other, or, at least, a strong preference to connect with local factories?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

vilvoh

I think the restriction is related with the minimun distance between factories of the same kind. On the other hand, I guess the engine tends to connect nearby factories, but iirc, there's no restriction in that sense.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

colonyan

I forgot to mention, I had this idea while playing cross connect game in pak64.
In one side of map there was a land oil field for book industry and there was a car industry on other end of the map.
I transported book's oil to oil refinery where plastics were produced to raise some quick fund.
Since distance war quite large 400~500 tiles? income was gushing.

Either way even in default setting, there is 33% cross connect setting. Thus, to prevent a situation which I wrote above
(stealing one chain's raw resource to get longer trip to earn higher payment), there need to be some kind of limit in distance
industry is willing to pay for the full price per unit load.

Or how about if we predefine spawn point/s(zone/s) for raw materials?  And industries which require them concentrate around it?
Like raw material point <> Factory (some where in the middle, most better closer to city at commute range) <> Closest city