News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

[Guide] - Electricity.

Started by idan44, March 08, 2010, 11:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idan44

Hello,

In this guide I will explain about electricity in Simutrans.

As in the real world, you can also supply electricy to factories and shops in Simutrans.
In Simutrans you can help to "produce" and "sell" electricity.

Why to use electricity network in Simutrans?Who uses it? [/b]
When factory uses electricity it's produce will be increased.
Also, you will be payed on it.  
All the shops and Factories in simutrans can buy Electricity from you.

To build an electricity network you need :

*Power Generator / Supplier - Any factory who can produce electricity. ( As oil power - plant, coal power - plant and wind power - plant. )  ( Note : If you choose an oil / Coal plant as an electricity producer you must supply the metarials for it all time. )

*Electricty Costumer - Any factory and / or a shop that is producing or selling goods. ( Like home market, timber plantation, cehmist and coal mines. ) ( Note : The factory must be working or it will not buy any electricty from you. )
*Electricity Network - And electricity network that will "carry" the electricty from the Power Supllier to the Electricty Costumer.

How to build the electricity netowrk? - transformer
First you need to build an electricity transformer that will move move the energy from one place to another. the transformer is in the "Special Construction Tools" menu. Take the transformer and put it near the Electricity Factory.
The transformer needs to be put near a factory or a power plant.

Building the power lines netowrk:- power lines
Building the Electricity network is exactly like building the rail or the road.

You can also use bridges :

How to know if the network is fine?
If the electricity is being supplied you will see a tiny arrow on the transformer.

If the Electricity is being bought you will see the transformer changes his color.

Tips and Tricks :
1) You can build the transformer in the middle of the network :

2) There is not a limit of electricity that can move tought the wires. You won't have to use 2 lines of wires and cables, rather in the real life.

Releated links :
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=3226.0
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=462.0 ( Portugues. )
Examples for ready electricity netwroks :

I hope it helped you,
                            Idan.
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...

Frank

for this exists a page in English Tikiwiki

you can also use the german page, or translate the german page ( right top is the language field )

werl

C:\dos
C:\dos\run
run\dos\run

VS

Small hint: for bug report illustrations, z9999+ uses a yellow font wit black outline. That is readable against any background... if you could come up with something similar, it might help somewhat.

You might also want to check spelling here and there ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Gouv

Oh boy, I've never used Electricity in simutrans so far.
Got a Question though: do electrified Shops consume/sell more Goods? Or do they just pay for it without any side-effect?
Would be nice if they did, because I usually end up producing more goods than my Shops can consume. :)

vilvoh

Electrical supply increases the consumption/production of end users of the industry chain (shops)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

TheUniqueTiger

Quote from: Gouv on May 25, 2010, 02:00:33 PM
Oh boy, I've never used Electricity in simutrans so far.
Got a Question though: do electrified Shops consume/sell more Goods? Or do they just pay for it without any side-effect?
Would be nice if they did, because I usually end up producing more goods than my Shops can consume. :)
In that case you should add electricity to the goods-producing factories and NOT goods-consuming factories. That way their production will be more than consumption.

skreyola

Quote from: TheUniqueTiger on May 25, 2010, 07:44:02 PM
In that case you should add electricity to the goods-producing factories and NOT goods-consuming factories. That way their production will be more than consumption.
Strike that. Reverse it.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

TheUniqueTiger

For him, yes it should be reverse but as I play and for the majority, main use of electricity is to increase production over consumption.

VS

That reeeally depends. I have lately broken pak128 a lot in the industrial department, namely removing limits on how many suppliers are used. As a result I learned a few things.

One, factory builder is not yet a 100% "read my mind" version, so the chains are usually built as a bit "overcompleted". Now it is easy to see why the industries previously had limits on amount of suppliers - so that there won't be built 5-6 of them where 2 are enough.

Two, raw materials are usually in abundance. Fields are very nice way to make the factories a bit more real, but they increase production a lot. That's because typical factory starts with minimal amount of fields and after a few years increases them to maximum. Depending on kind of factory, the maximum might be even 100 fields. With wrong settings, this can double production even if it seems right on paper.

Both of these mean that as a player, I desperately need to increase production higher in the chains.

If you want to try this, get a pak128 nightly and see for yourself :P

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

TheUniqueTiger

I think even if they get more 'number' of suppliers, the total production (adding all their production units/month) should be proportional for a given consumer.

For example, if a coal power station is consuming coal at 150% producing 3000 units/month, then keeping a safe margin of overproduction (2x), all coal mines supplying it at 100% should be totalling to 9000 units/month. Then be it one coal mine with 9000 units/month or 3 coal mines with 2000, 3000, 4000 units/month respectively. I hope you get the idea...

Person012345

Could someone explain this to me because it makes my head hurt:
http://puu.sh/dh2wI.png

Specifically, the discrepency between the in-game help "tip" and what happens when I try to follow it.

Václav

It means that nobody corrected (updated) help texts.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

DrSuperGood

If you are using a nightly version of Simutrans and running in JIT2 mode then do be aware that power consumption is dependent on the output from a factory. This means that each unit of product per unit time will consume a fixed amount of power. This is very different from JIT0/1 (current release) where mail and passenger boosts increase energy efficiency.

The 1 transformer per factory feature does appear to be something added at a later stage in development (probably why the help is wrong). The transformer code still references the feature for multiple transformers per factory. I even had to make a code correction where it was refunding a nonsense amount of power demand to the factory (possibly one of the reasons it was removed? Not sure as it was gone long before I found Simutrans).

Person012345

Thanks. I believe I'm using the one where I just get a boost from electricity. Can you tell me how to get more than 100MW to leave the power station then? It's a coal plant that I think is supposed to produce 400 units of electric? Which I assume translates to 400MW (it's fully fuelled), but the transformer only draws 100MW which is barely enough for the local steel plant. I assumed that adding more transformers would increase the power drawn but since I can't do that I don't know how to get the full potential from the plant.

DrSuperGood

QuoteCan you tell me how to get more than 100MW to leave the power station then? It's a coal plant that I think is supposed to produce 400 units of electric? Which I assume translates to 400MW (it's fully fuelled), but the transformer only draws 100MW which is barely enough for the local steel plant.
The monthly production of a power station does not translate directly into power. Where as one is the amount of effort done per month, power is produced based on effort done per tick. If all effort was done in that tick then full power is produced. If only part was done (due to there being less than enough material for full effort) then less power is produced.

100MW sounds about right for a pak64 coal power station (they are hardly big producers, oil and waste power stations produce more with updraft generators making probably the most). The problem with the steel mill using so much power is that pak64 has virtually no power factors defined as such most industries operate based on some default calculation based on their per unit time consumption. Since steel mills have a load of production then you get the situation where it uses more power than a coal power plant can supply. Coal mines are similar with a coal power station struggling to power the mine needed to keep it fuelled due to their insane production rate. The actual problem is that as long as a factory works at 25% or more production rate it will consume 100% power.

However this was one of the drives behind the new JIT2 factory model now available in nightly builds. Here power consumption is based on the work done so if that steel mill is loaded only 25% it will use only 25% power and not 100%. Additionally power is normalized around the work done so each unit of product per unit time has a fixed power requirement (passenger, mail and power boosts can increase power consumption beyond what was possible with JIT0/1). Combined with the JIT2 flow model for supplying factories it should be possible to run more consumers fully and supply more things with power (as factories/sources that are not running fully will consume less power).

Person012345

Like I said the plant is fully fueled.

The pakset is Britain 128.

Is there a way I can edit the output of the coal plant somehow in some config or something?

DrSuperGood

Try a modern coal power station. The old ones produce so little power because they are old.

Person012345

Ah, so they will produce more power in the future? That's good to know, thanks. It was mainly just a pain because I only had one coal plant pop up and it wasn't enough to power the handful of industries I was trying to power. As I considered just using the map editor to place another one, a new one popped up, which should be enough to supply me for now until newer ones come out and appear.

Thanks for the help!

DrSuperGood

QuoteAh, so they will produce more power in the future?
In Experimental? Yes as they will be replaced over time (and move when doing so).
In Standard? No as it lacks the mechanics to do so (unfortunately). However new ones will start appearing instead of old ones. Until the Pakset reaches the EoL date and coal power stations / steel mills stop appearing at all (not sure if this is intended or a bug).

Václav

Quote from: DrSuperGood on December 05, 2014, 03:10:09 PM
However this was one of the drives behind the new JIT2 factory model now available in nightly builds.
I play with 7353 and there I did not notice any change.

DrSuperGood

QuoteI play with 7353 and there I did not notice any change.
It is only really working well in revision 7392 and later.

Václav

Thanks.

Is needed to change dat of factories for better behaviour under JIT2?