News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

Diagonal bridges

Started by greephus, March 08, 2010, 04:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greephus

I just created a quite good San Francisco map and would like to build up the city. The only problem is the Bay Bridge. It should be lopsided, but this type of bridge does not exist in the Simutrans (or I did not find it).
This option or type is exist at roads, railways, highways.

Does anyone know any solution or bridge type I can build it lopsided?

gauthier

I saw a topic recently with a bridge between two Japan islands with a very nice bridge ... but I can't remember its name :-[

AP

How is it lopsided? Surely not physically. Do you just mean that there are more lanes flowing in one direction than the other (easily done with parallel bridges). Or is it one of these clever ones where they use tidal flows and adjust the lanes to suit traffic demand...

Combuijs

Is that the bridge seen from for example the Ferry building? If I remember correctly from my short visit to San Fransisco it is a two-floor-bridge with traffic on the first floor driving in opposite direction from those on the second floor.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

greephus

modnote by whoami: posts merged

Here are some screenshots that I mean 'lopsided'. I would like to build a bridge like the directions of number 3. and 4. roads, railways. I tried it many times but I think I need somemething special type of bridge to do it.  ???

directions of roads:
directions of railways:

DirrrtyDirk

Please don't double- (or in your case: triple) post. There's an edit function - and actually forum rules require you to use it in cases like this.

And you mean "diagonal" not "lopsided". And bridges in Simutrans cannot be built like that, I'm sorry.

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

Combuijs

Ah, now I understand you. No, you can't build bridges in a diagonal direction, only North to South and East to West.

Is there anything apart from the Diagonal in San Fransisco that is not straight?  ;)
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

greephus

Oh yeah, diagonal! This is the correct word! Thanks.
That's bad that is not possible, but anyway...I'll find another way to build up the city ;)

AP

pak-britain has just introduced diagonal bridges, with roads and aquaducts to follow; you can see one of them on the left of my image here.

I believe they are available for other graphic paks too as addons. They are often referred to as "elevated ways" rather than bridges, since they have a fixed +1 height above ground level (whereas straight bridges maintain altitude even if the terrain falls away beneath them).

The Hood

Also, elevated ways can't cross water, so that won't help.  And greephus already has a screenshot with an elevated road, so I think he's asking for a diagonal bridge rather than a diagonal elevated way...

greephus

Quote from: The Hood on March 09, 2010, 02:11:23 PM
Also, elevated ways can't cross water, so that won't help.  And greephus already has a screenshot with an elevated road, so I think he's asking for a diagonal bridge rather than a diagonal elevated way...

Yes, you're right! As I wrote before I'd like to build a diagonal bridge like in San Francisco the 'Bay Bridge' between the land and island.

AP

Quote from: The Hood on March 09, 2010, 02:11:23 PMElevated ways can't cross water, so that won't help
Can't they??? <runs of to test> ...  I hadn't actually worked that out until now. I'd say whyever not, but I assume there's a fairly fundamental reason (i.e. it would try to follow submarine contours).

ӔO

bay bridge itself is straight over most of the water, but the sections that lead up to the main section are curves.

there's actually land underneath the curved sections, so it should be possible to cheat a bit.

the bright section is the actual bridge, the dark sections are elevated ways.
the bridge must be started on a slope tile, where you can see on the south side.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart: