News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

new addon site for simutrans

Started by jonasbb, March 12, 2010, 09:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonasbb

Hello all,

I want to show you my development of the last weeks.
I write this addon site because I want every user to upload his addons. So I wrote my own tool.

You can see the current state on http://addons.bplaced.net.

This site has a few features:

• complete user management
  • possibility to upload objects
  • full working search (also text search)
  • rss feed which tells you about all new objects
  • download counter
  • possible for multi language use (currently there is support for english and german)

It is planed to have an edit mode for addons.

Everyone can register and then upload new addons.
The email is currently not used. It is planned to have a interface where mods and admins can send the users emails e.g. if the user was banned.

I want to work with mysql and php. That is also a reason why I started this project.

Combuijs

What is wrong with the current addons site?
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

jonasbb

I think every should be able to upload an addon to such a site. And this is not possible.
Also the current site is not for multi language use and the search is not as good as I would have wanted.

And as I also wrote, I want to learn more about php and mysql so I needed a project.

vilvoh

Have you talk with robofish? The system you've made is similar to the one we (a.s.c team) would like to implement. Robofish has made some improvements but he had in mind all your suggestions (all are in the to-do list) so perhaps you should put in contact with him to share ideas and plans.

P.D: I like your idea, but is there any admin-moderation panel? what you have in mind is an upload site approach where everybody can upload stuff with quality control, or an official repository approach?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jonasbb

Quote from: vilvoh on March 13, 2010, 07:10:29 PM
Have you talk with robofish? The system you've made is similar to the one we (a.s.c team) would like to implement. Robofish has made some improvements but he had in mind all your suggestions (all are in the to-do list) so perhaps you should put in contact with him to share ideas and plans.
No, I have not talked with robofish because I did not know this.
For me it is only a project to work with php and mysql.

P.D: I like your idea, but is there any admin-moderation panel?
Yes there is an admin-moderation panel. You can only see it if you are an admin or a moderator (the normal is user).

what you have in mind is an upload site approach where everybody can upload stuff with quality control, or an official repository approach?
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking? Would you please explain what you mean.

vilvoh

Quote from: jonasbb on March 13, 2010, 11:32:57 PM
Sorry, but I do not understand what you are asking? Would you please explain what you mean.

Sure. The current a.s.c site works this way: the stuff must follow some criteria in order to be included and the moderators, Silver and me among others, look for the possible candidates. That's what I call an official repository. If I'm not wrong, you propose a different approach, where people can upload any simutrans related stuff with a previous moderation filter. I'm not against that, and we may discuss it, but I think you should have this point clear before you start coding anything, for to not work in vain.

P.S: If you want ideas for the new site, you may be interested on a.s.c possible improvements topic.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

prissi

The japanese wiki is so that everybody can upload stuff, if I see correctly, and it is then reodered sometime. It has really very many objects there, so it seems to work great.