News:

SimuTranslator
Make Simutrans speak your language.

pak-REAL-ECO-1900

Started by AvG, March 23, 2010, 02:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvG

Hi guys,

After 2 years of absence I am back on Simutrans.
I downed the newest releases and will try to continue my goals of the past.
That goals are:
- Filling the gap 1900-1930
- Trying to use more realistic figures for prices of vehicles, buildings, etc

I know it's a lot of work. I hope however to be able to use my work from the past.
If somebody has interest just contact me.

AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

Welcome back! I'm not familiar with "pak-REAL-ECO-1900" - am I correct in surmising, from the name and what you have written, that it is a pakset designed to give highly realistic balancing of vehicle and building costs and revenues? Is this a new pakset from scratch, or an adaptation of an existing pakset?

By coincidence, I happen to be working on a similar project with the Simutrans-Experimental version of Pak128.Britain. I am in the process of obtaining real-world data on relative vehicle running and purchase costs from an informed source, which, although specific to the UK, might be of interest to you.

I have for a long time been in favour of making the economics of Simutrans as realistic as possible. Best wishes with your endeavour!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AvG

Hi James,
The pak-Real-ECO-1900 has 2 goals:
-- Working with more realistic numbers with respect to industry-output, speeds, load-capacities, etc. In short: Better simulation of
    reality.
-- The 1900 refers to the situation that Simutrans Standard has very few vehicles for the period 1900-1930.
    These are designed from scratch and the PNG's made with PaintShopPro. (very time-consuming, but IMHO best results)

Having the feeling that these basic ideas have a better chance of being implemented in Experimental I switched to the latter.
Let's see where we will arrive.

AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

Pak128.Britain (especially the Experimental version) has the same goals - it is excellent to see other projects with the same aims cropping up! Incidentally, Pak128.Britain aims to go back as far as 1750, not just 1900. Is your pakset going to be geographically specific?

Do let me know how your project gets on :-) What tilesize will you be using, incidentally?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

AvG

Hi James,
1900 is for me allways the starting year off a scenario. Reason: Interesting period for implementing technical
innovations. I don't use only selfmade stuff. I use as much as possible of existing Paks.
At this moment Pak128.Britain-Exp is for me the most easy to go on.
This way you can also start in 1750.

You can call my Pakset European specific.

In my first scenario, based on Exp6.6 I made only a few changes in the config-file:
-Scaled down maintenance from 1800 to 18.
-Bits_per_month 21
-Starting money 50000 Cr
-Cost_multiply_roadstop 40
-Cost depot_road 2000
-Intercity_road_type= Cart-road (Own stuff. The "road" you get after crossing grassland multiple times
  with horse and cart.
- cost alter_land 100000 Cr. (difficult when you use rough and mountains)

I used distance_per_tile 25. Next time I will try 100 ( 1km per tile) Will be better because all my math-stuff
in an Excel-file is based on that.

These setting were also used in previous Standard scenarios.
The outcome is however very different, probably due to the lower passenger-factor.

I hope to be able to use Exp7.2 for the next run.

AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

very interesting. Do you intend the pakset to be open source?

AvG

Yes, everybody can/may use my stuff. I have to sort out however how exactly open source is working.
I tried to download  pakbritain-experimental / industry / cattle-farm-house.png but that seems not possible.
Will need that in the future.

At this moment I am still experimenting with Exp-6.6.
I have 1,5 years experience now with some settings:
- mapsize 512*768
- 60 cities
- median city 500
- intercity roadlength 5000
- traffic dens. 3
- industry 50
- timeline from 1900
- Mountainheight 320
- Roughness 2
- Hilly landscape.
- 1 tile = 1 km
- starting money 50000

Results:

- Hardly passengertransport with horse and wagon which is to slow and distances to large.( also small cities)
- Mail-transport is OK.
- Not enough money for rail-transport. Very expensive due to landscape-settings.

Going to restart with other settings.

BTW: I have problems with this message window. Will not scroll upwards. Do I need a special setting?
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

what was your passenger factor? An average city size of 500 is quite low for Simutrans-Experimental with Pak128.Britain-Ex. The default is 2,000.

Balancing is still not complete in Pak128.Britain (either the standard or the experimental version), so your imput in this area is much appreciated!

Groatabike

Sorry for getting a little late to the party!

Well done. This is awsome. I was thinking about asking on a board weather anyone would make this, but understand that people constantly screaming 'make my idea!!' is very annoying. I know nothing about code or really anything about graphical design, but would love to see how this project is coming on. I really like this period of time myself- and was surprised at the lack of available transport for the time... what are you concentrating on most? I have some suggestions for ideas and whatnot, but totally understand if you want to go it alone. good luck and keep us all posted on how you do! :D

greenling

Hello Groatrabike
Sorry, but this project it out of order.
Avg, the Starter from those Project was since 15.09.2012 not more here.
Whom you want play before 1930 then try pak128.Britain out there it a startyear from 1750 possible.
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Groatabike

Ah. Ok. sad times. Well, perhaps someone will work on this sort of project again soon...

AvG

Hi guys,
I am still alive.
The last time I worked with Simutrans I got boared with the economical background of Simutrans.
You are earning millions of Cr's transporting stuff from unrealistic places to other unrealistic places.

I am developing (trying to) a towngrowth-simulation based on reality and feasebility.
For a newbee in modern programming quite a job.

Maybe, if I succeed, it could  be the basis for the ECO-background of Simutrans.
Ad van Gerwen

greenling

Hello AVG
that it nice that you here be post have.
Need you a helper at your pak-REAL-ECO-1900 projekt?
I have some old pakfiles from you out the old http://archive.forum.simutrans.com found it!
It possible to use it?
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

jamespetts

AvG - glad to see that you are still with us! You might be interested, in light of what you have written above, in this thread about current development projects in Experimental.