News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

Issues with some industry settings

Started by AvG, March 27, 2010, 10:16:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvG

James,
Thanks for reminding me of the new version. Wil use it immediately.
Had some experiences in 6.6
Am looking at the livestock-meat line.
Points of interest:
According goods-list average weight of sheep/cow is 10 kg ??? (Dutch language)
In a slaughterhouse such an animal is transformed  in 800 kg meat.
In reality average sheepweight of 80 and cowweight of 600 kg

The output of the sheep/cow-farms is very much depending on the bits_per_month setting.
Setting 19 gives depending on the year-type an output of 20-100 (very roughly)
Setting 25 results 3000-5000 animals per DAY
IMHO are these figures way to high. One farm can serve the whole map
I will try to alter the figures in my system, in such a way that there is a necessity to let small roadvehicles
have to gather small amounts to get a large trainload.

Do you have any idea what the average user uses for his bits-setting?

AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG,

thank you very much for your feedback. I have split the topic and moved it to the Pak128.Britain board because it makes more sense here than in a thread about the Simutrans-Experimental poll.

Many of the points that you raise appear to apply equally to the Pak128.Britain standard version as they do the Experimental version, so I shall give The Hood a chance to comment before I look into the issue further. If it does transpire to be a Simutrans-Experimental issue, I shall investigate this in more depth.

Thank you very much for your feedback - it is much appreciated!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

neroden

I have really different industry settings issues in Experimental.

With Pak Britain Experimental 0.5, starting the game in 1800, sheep farms, cattle farms, grain farms, etc. produce a maximum of 1 unit per month

This is too little to make any economic use of them at all.

jamespetts

Neroden,

thank you for your report. I have seen the issue myself: the problem appears to be a bug with industry fields, which is also responsible for crashes in certain cases. The farms and other industries that require fields, for some reason, do not generate them, so they produce only one unit per month.

I am currently away for a few days, but, when I return home and get a chance to try to track down the bugs, I shall look into this.

Thank you very much for your report :-)

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

jamespetts

Update: I have looked into this issue (described by Neroden), and found that the problem is with makeobj: it writes broken fields when it writes the industries. It is not yet clear why, but the problem seems to have originated when a patch was integrated into the trunk providing for multiple different types of fields for each factory. I shall have to investigate further.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on April 06, 2010, 07:49:20 PM
Update: I have looked into this issue (described by Neroden), and found that the problem is with makeobj: it writes broken fields when it writes the industries. It is not yet clear why, but the problem seems to have originated when a patch was integrated into the trunk providing for multiple different types of fields for each factory. I shall have to investigate further.

Hmm.  Can you tell me which patch caused the breakage?  If so I might be able to help track this down.

This could also be related to the assertion problem from deleting fields which don't exist.  They seem likely to be from the same original bug.

EDIT: I think this is currently the most annoying bug in experimental.  :-(

jamespetts

Neroden,

ahh, I forgot to post here when I resolved the issue. The problem turned out to originate from a change in Standard, which changed the required code in the .dat files for fields (adding a
  • or higher number) when multiple field types per farm were allowed. Once I upgraded the .dat files in Pak128.Britain-Ex, the problem was solved. If you download and install Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6, this issue should be resolved.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on April 11, 2010, 12:07:20 PM
Neroden,

ahh, I forgot to post here when I resolved the issue. The problem turned out to originate from a change in Standard, which changed the required code in the .dat files for fields (adding a
  • or higher number) when multiple field types per farm were allowed. Once I upgraded the .dat files in Pak128.Britain-Ex, the problem was solved. If you download and install Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6, this issue should be resolved.
Oh, beautiful.  Now all the industry chains work.... that should help with making money in the early years!  :-)