News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Post offices?

Started by rfg123, April 06, 2010, 02:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfg123

Hello everyone,

I was wondering which years the post office is available for in pak128.. I have tried several different points throughout the game timeline, but the only time they show up is when chronology is completely turned off, same thing for the modern warehouse.

Also, I recall having a 1x1 parking garage station under the road transport menu, but it too has disappeared.. Am I missing something here?  ???

Thanks in advance.

rfg123

I tried again and post offices are still not showing when I use chronology..

Almost 90 people have viewed this topic, yet no one has witnessed this issue? Did I miss an update where post offices were removed from the regular game?

Guillaume

I tried with chronology to get post office, but yes it's strange that there's no post office with chronology even in 2060 ( I tried until this date...).
It seems thet there's a bug...
I can't help more  :P

Sorry for my bad english

Zeno

Are you using standard Pak128 1.4.6? Beware if you are using the OpenPak128 nightly, because all non-free objects have been removed in that version.

Guillaume

I forgot to say that I used pak 128 1.4.6 with version 102.2.2 of Simutrans, which is the latest stable version actually.

VS

It's not really a bug per se, just a slightly annoying un-feature.

The post offices are "disabled" by introduction dates after retirement. It's easier for players if they can't build things that will be removed, because then they won't miss objects (eventually). On the other hand, having them still included means old saves don't break yet. The real "bug" here is that with timeline off, you can still build them.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rfg123

Quote from: VS on April 07, 2010, 10:24:23 AM
It's not really a bug per se, just a slightly annoying un-feature.

The post offices are "disabled" by introduction dates after retirement. It's easier for players if they can't build things that will be removed, because then they won't miss objects (eventually). On the other hand, having them still included means old saves don't break yet. The real "bug" here is that with timeline off, you can still build them.

Ah, thank you for clearing that up.

Of course, now I have to ask why they are being removed from pak128, yet remain in pak64? Are alternative passenger/mail station extension buildings going to replace them?

jonasbb

Quote from: rfg123 on April 07, 2010, 07:02:03 PM
Of course, now I have to ask why they are being removed from pak128, yet remain in pak64?
There is a difference in the graphic for pak128 and pak64. They are from different artists. Just because the graphics have to be removed in pak128 they can still stay in pak64 because of the different copyrights.
I don't know how to write this exactly because my English is not so good.

Quote from: rfg123 on April 07, 2010, 07:02:03 PM
Are alternative passenger/mail station extension buildings going to replace them?
It seems that nobody had drawn new stations to replace the old ones.

Václav

Quote from: jonasbb on April 07, 2010, 07:25:29 PM
There is a difference in the graphic for pak128 and pak64. They are from different artists. Just because the graphics have to be removed in pak128 they can still stay in pak64 because of the different copyrights.

I don't know how to write this exactly because my English is not so good.
It seems that nobody had drawn new stations to replace the old ones.

I have not been playing with pak64 for very long time and so I have not known if this graphical set is under making it open. But you cannot compare copyrights of both sets - regardless of some buildings of pak128 has origin in pak64 and so .

So it is time to paint some ones - but ... (to all:) Do you think extension for what? For railway stations, bus/truck stations or for airports? Of course, regardless of extensions may be built to other stations  ... and do I cannot forget on extensions located in menu group Special buildings.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

Zkou2

I made some post offices for Pak128 Open Source Project.
Maybe these buildings are not exact traditional European architecture style. Also, maybe not fit with other Pak128 buildings design. However, it's better than nothing.

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/image.png
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PostOffice.zip

Fabio

Quote from: Zkou2

Wow! I like them very much!
Did/could you by chance make them with 2 (or better, 4) rotation, and maybe in winter version as well?
I see a good potential in them!!!

Also the yellow stripe for the modern design could become, instead, player colour...

Welcome to the community, by the way!
I wish many could show up and introduce themselves with such a good present :)

VS

Oh... so beautiful :) Welcome, and many thanks!

fabio: The linked zip file contains full sources with 4 rotations & winter variations. I'm not sure about the special colour, though - the stripe (?) on modern house blends with the surrounding due to antialiasing and transparency used. That's also what makes the graphic very good, so it could be hard to change...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sdog

Zeno

Beautiful!!! *applause*

gwalch

I like it, especially the "older" buildings... I think we can see some quite similar buildings in France...
French Elements Creator :
-By Rail with trains and trams : X3800 Picasso and BB36000 Astride - trams from Nantes, St Etienne, Strasbourg, Montpellier, Lyon, Bordeaux, Le Mans, Reims...
-By Road with Trucks : Main painter for the "french trucks company", with trucks from 50ies (Willeme "Squale Nose") to 2000 (Renault AE500 "Magnum) and a lot of trailers... and with Trolley and Buses : Irisbus Cristalis, Man Lion's City, Irisbus Magelys...
- Industry : Collaborator for french food with Wine and Cheese...

Fabio

Quote from: VS on April 07, 2011, 03:57:45 PM
fabio: The linked zip file contains full sources with 4 rotations & winter variations.

My bad! I had no time to go through the sources... better like this and, again, best praises to the Author...

I think with these post offices we complete another lag in Openpak 128... Very, very glad!!!

VS

Added with a few changes (levels, timeline).

Zkou2: How hard would it be to turn the yellow parts into player colour? Or is it already? I can do it, too, but it would look worse :-/

Zkou2

Thanks for comments and advices, fabio, VS, sdog, Zeno, and gwalch.

Now I'm trying color replacement. I guess it is possible, but color gradation of edges and corners are broken a little bit, because of difference about number of usable colors. I will fix those detail until today and show you the result soon. Please wait.

Zkou2

Graphics are finished. I made two types just in case. One is with secondary player color which is same as mailbox. Another is painted primary player color. In this case, secondary player color is correct, isn't it?

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/image_Secondary_Player_Color.png
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PostOffice_r2.zip

Screen shot:
http://zk2.up.seesaa.net/images/20110409_simscr04.png

Quote from: VS on April 08, 2011, 07:15:15 AM
Added with a few changes (levels, timeline).

Yes. Those settings are still temporary....I am thinking but it is quite difficult, have to consider about real architecture history, game balance and so on..... Do you have any idea?

Djohaal

Quote from: Zkou2 on April 09, 2011, 01:04:56 PM
Graphics are finished. I made two types just in case. One is with secondary player color which is same as mailbox. Another is painted primary player color. In this case, secondary player color is correct, isn't it?

http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/image_Secondary_Player_Color.png
http://simutrans-germany.com/files/upload/PostOffice_r2.zip

Screen shot:
http://zk2.up.seesaa.net/images/20110409_simscr04.png

Yes. Those settings are still temporary....I am thinking but it is quite difficult, have to consider about real architecture history, game balance and so on..... Do you have any idea?

The player color trims look beautiful. If I may be so bold to suggest some adjustments, I think some subtle texturing of the concrete facade is in order to break up the smoothness. Some trims on corners and such would also help improve the overall look :)

VS

Oh, wow. Again better than expected :D Thanks a lot!

Making mail-related objects use secondary colour is a good idea.

I will update the graphics in set when I have time, probably tomorrow...

edit: Done. Once more, thanks!

Zkou2

VS:
It's my pleasure, and I'd like to say many thanks for your work.
I look forward to release next version.

Djohaal:
Thanks for useful advice.
I agree with that. Some parts are not perfect. Careful trimming is important as you say. Well...but I have to finish this work, because the time has come, and  have to reactivate to my own project .....
I will make next addon with attention on that point.

BTW, I saw marvelous graphic, which you uploaded on other thread.
I hope the day that many Simutrans players of the world see your works of art on game.
very nice!

Václav

New post offices are very beautiful - but they are wrong rotated. They should be re-coded (to correct rotation) - and moved from special buildings to road transportation - because I think they fit the best if they are faced to roads.

For this time I have not any screenshots but I am going to prepare them - surely.

VS

In the pakset, I changed rotations to face roads correctly, so if it's wrong in the file attached here, that has been fixed already...?

Václav

I wanted build post to bus station what is behind that post - but I waited that it will be built along that station, not as it is on attached screenshot - and (what is more important) - else where post was built faced to station by its back wall, not front wall.

VS

Perhaps the pakset nightly doesn't contain the fixed version yet? I have no problems whatsoever when replicating you scenario in 110.0.1 - the building is oriented exactly as you wanted it to be.

greenling

The New postoffice be great!
Zkou2 your modelle be very nice
Opening hours 20:00 - 23:00
(In Night from friday on saturday and saturday on sunday it possibly that i be keep longer in Forum.)
I am The Assistant from Pakfilearcheologist!
Working on a big Problem!

Václav

VS: I shall see what I shall see - I hope that tomorrow.

Zkou2

Rotation on dat files were wrong.
I fixed above zip file and uploaded again. (VS has already fixed it for the pakset nightly . So there was no sense of repeating it, but I did it for my practice.)
Thank you, VaclavMacurek. :)

Václav

Zkou2, could you prepare also some special road stations extensions? If airports and railways have own extensions, then road stations deserve own extensions too. Of course that this my request is not about post offices.

And by the way, I would like to know intro and retire years for both versions (modern and classical). That classical version is really nice.

Isaac_Clarke

I've got a problem with the extraction of post office buildings. I put the .pak, the .dat files and all others files in my pak128 and however the addons don't want to appear in the game.

Václav

They are included in last nightly and also in official release. It is easier to get them from those two releases.