News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

British Industry Set

Started by The Hood, September 22, 2008, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Quote from: VS on January 28, 2009, 09:23:46 PM
I should buy glasses... and not the drinking kind. I thought these were jumping fish :(

Probably subconsciously indicated by the ones in Pak128?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

The Hood

VS, you have been working a lot on standard 128 for a while - in any case I only realised the other day that the standard Pak128 ones were jumping fish and not seagulls!

That said, the "seagulls" are not really more than a couple of pixels, so hardly very artistic eh?

I'm hoping to get a release together this evening, but I will need to do some testing on the dat files for the industries first.  Watch this space!

The Hood

OK, can't release the sources tonight  - for some reason when testing the last addition to the pak the game freezes when distributing industries in the game creation phase.  Has anyone come across this behaviour before?

VS

Freezes during map creation can mean many many things. Try setting various parameters in simuconf to more benevolent values - eg. minimal industry distance can lead to lockups, or nearly so; intercity roads can be also demanding if you set too high...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

It seems to be due to the car factory or car dealership - it only seems to freeze if these are in the pak and only then sometimes (succesful maps don't have the car factory or dealership, hence why I think it's them...).

Can you spot a problem with the dats?

VS

Try stripping trailing whitespace. Dealership has empty retire year.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

The Hood

The bad news: I don't think that was the problem - I've done a few tests and it still freezes with or without the car dealership.

The good news: I think it may be related to the ratio of cities : industries on the map.  I have got the whole thing to work with a high city : industry ratio (i.e. number of cities at least half the number of industries).  Not sure why this should cause a problem in industry generation (it is that - I checked using debug tool), but maybe because this set has a lot of "City" based industries.

Because of that, I've decided to release the set on Open Source licence:
http://simutrans.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/simutrans/pakBritain.128/

-If you want the pak ready-made, look in the pak/ subdirectory - you will need to replace current industry set with BritIndustry.pak and current good.all.pak with BritGoods.pak (although BritGoods.pak should allow you to use existing goods and industries still).
-If you want to play with the sources, they are in the industry/ and goods/ subdirectories (fairly obviously).

Happy playing!

Obviously it's still a beta (the productivities etc are completely unbalanced), but I think it's best for other people to try it and see what they think.  Please get back with comments.  Also please let me know if you get the same problem I did about getting stuck on map generation.

jamespetts

Ahh, thank you for releasing those :-) It is good that people will now have access to your wonderful work on industries. I shall very much look forward to the release of the rest of the PakBritain sources.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.