News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

British Industry Set

Started by The Hood, September 22, 2008, 07:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kierongreen

Václav

... The orchard in this pak supplied cider to the pub and fruit to the greengrocer ...

Fruit? What fruit? In spite of it could be irrelevant, I think much better could be if any exact type of fruit could be produced. In my idea of new industry chain I call drinks industry orchard will supply distillery and juice factory - and they will supply drinks shop - many other supply materials needed (for both supply factories) but it will be clear from diagrams (after translation) I painted.

I think that my idea could be based for your chain - but it is much more spread.

And by the way: I think new shape of farms is much better then original square. And seasoning (changing by season) could be done much better: to some farms who are not producting animal products (milk, wool and so on) could produce only between summer and autumn - not only in winter and spring.

So here is that my idea:

Green marked factories are representing already being ones (names are taken from traslation file)
Yellow marked one is factory from else new industry chain by my office
White marked factories are unique ones of current chains.

...and here are transported goods like they are hidden behind those numbers - names could be changed:

1: gas (carbon dioxide - to filling into juice)
2: juice
3,7: glass
4,5: fruit
6: grain
8: lemonade
9: ??? (I am not sure with exact name for that product)

Drinks seller could sell also bottled milk (currently dairy is supplied by milk and glass what could be good - but I think that chain is not finished) and beer.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

The Hood

Some interesting ideas there, but I don't think I'll include them in this pak.  The overall idea of the British Industry Set is to have simple industry chains which don't result in 20 different industries being generated all over the place and clogging the map up every time there is a new market built in a city.  The other difference is to have lots of small markets which are supplpied by a small number of factories.  This should present a different challenge to the existing pak128 industry chains, with the idea being to encourage trunk freight routes between cities and smaller distribution networks in the cities to the individual markets.

sojo

@VaclavMacurek
I have only seen your garfic (no text ;)). I think thats interessting.
We need in pak96.comic a difficult industry Chain. Can you post your grafic in the pak96.comic-forum, that we can talk about?
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Václav

All what is needed to see texts on diagrams was download it and look on it through external image viewer. And of course, it may be re-posted into forum of pak96.comic.

Some routes are only showing true connections between some factories. Chain could be divorced (divided) into three (or two) parts - distillery chain, juice production chain and shop - but structure would be same.

So it is similar to I could let aluminium chain and planes chain (from topic New chains ideas) be only one chain - but chosen solution (divorcing of both chains) is much better there because you may combine it with some other chains to get many more ones.

ML

@VaclavMacurek
Myslím, že sojo měl namysli, jestli bys nebyl ochotný něco z tvých návrhů nakreslit pro pak96.comic ;) Je totiž potřeba přidat další průmyslové řetězce.

translation:
I think, sojo asked you, if you were able/free to draw something from your ideas for pak96.comic.. New industry chains are needed.

Václav

Panda: Sojo asked me for re-posting od those pictures to forum of pak96.comic to somebody could prepare new chains for this graphic version of Simutrans, not for painting of it - but I could try to do it.

Creation of new chains for pak96.comic by myself is possible but all what I can do is painting pictures. Somebody else must finish my work by writing dat files and so on.

At first I could improve surface of aluminium works (look in topic Nové průmysly //http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=218.msg1686#msg1686//, there is one picture of that). Current surface is assigned for pak128. For pak96.comic is needed simplier surface.

sojo

I will writing dats and so on. ;) But we should discuss into a pak96.comic forum.
"English is a easy language. But not for me." ;) sojo

follow simutrans_de on Twitter
- A home for Simutrans (in german)

Václav

Yes. Thanks. And by they way: I could accept simplification of this chain by erasing of two raws (and their factories) from chain:

1. grain for distillery - so it will need only fruit and glass
2. CO2 (carbon dioxide) for bottling unit - only glass and juice will be needed

I think these changes could be sufficient and acceptable - also for pak128.

The Hood

Finally had some time to continue work on this (yay!) - here's the latest results:

Arable (Vegetable) farm, produces vegetables
Greengrocers, accepts vegetables and fruit
Iron Ore Mine, produces iron ore

jamespetts

I very much like! Excellent! I shall greatly look forward to more of these...
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

kierongreen

The Hood

Preliminary view of a blast furnace / steel mill.  Any comments before I do any more on it (each render takes ages because of all the textures etc. and I don't really want to do too many abortive renders!)

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamespetts

Looking very good, although, if you are going to change anything, the ground would look a bit better if it were darker.

Incidentally, I am planning to work on the code to implement The Hood's idea to have a retirement date for industries - I mention this now in case it makes a difference to what/how many industries need to be produced (the .dat files can easily be changed, but the graphics take a long time, I imagine). If industries have a retirement date as well as an introduction date, then newer industries will have to replace older ones (i.e., larger, more modern looking factories will replace smaller, older looking ones, but the more modern ones will be substantially fewer in number, although have a higher output; industrial decline would then be able to be simulated, too). Any comments on how this suggestion would best be implemented would be welcome.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

The Hood

It would be great if you could code the retirement dates for industries. 

My current plan is to get just one graphic for each industry for now, then go and work on some other things (e.g. buses, trucks, rail goods vehicles - I've been doing industries for over a year on and off now and it's starting to get a bit tedious!), but after I've got enough stuff for the next release I will return and do some time-varied industries if the code is there.

kierongreen

Can't work out exactly what the bit at the far right is. But it looks great :)

The Hood

It's supposed to be molten slag, I've done a new version of it which hopefully looks slightly more molten and glowing, but I can't post it right now as I'm not on the right computer.

Václav

Quote from: The Hood on January 15, 2009, 10:51:28 PM
Preliminary view of a blast furnace / steel mill.

Very nice. Could you sacrifice it and rename it "Aluminium factory"? I prepared one model

but I hate it because it is very awful. I am not good in painting of buildings.

Also bauxite mine is needed (it can look like iron mine because it is extracted from eart only by surface mining and it is coloured from metallic silver to dark red - based on ratio aluminum oxides/iron oxides).

The Hood

When I release the pak I will also release sources (open source license) - you would then of course be welcome to use the graphics and dats yourself for whatever purpose.  I don't have any plans to draw a bauxite mine or specifically code an aluminium factory though, I have other PakBritain projects that need attention next!

The Hood

Latest additions:

Hardware factory (steel + wood => hardware)
Hardware shop (accepts hardware)

jamespetts

vilvoh

I like the hardware factory. You've used a good combination of simple textures, reasonable color schemes and models with a good level of detail. Great work!!

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

emaxectranspoorte

I agree. Excellent work! :) IMHO.

The Hood

Thanks for the positive comments :-)

Latest additions: Car factory and fishmongers shop.

vilvoh

I've realized that final consumers (fishmonger,greengrocery, etc..) have always the same graphics. The only difference is the sheet color. It's a good strategy because that keeps the graphic consistency, you can distinguish them quickly among the rest of city buildings, but be carefull or this might turn into graphic monotony....imho, I would try to introduce small variations in shapes, sizes or textures. Add some windows, draw several buildings with flat rooftops, put some showcases in the facades, etc..

jamespetts

Presumably, the car factory and fishmonger aren't part of the same chain? ;-)

The Hood

@vilvoh - the ultimate plan is to have several different styles of shop which vary depending on age, with a consistent colour scheme for each chain.  So fishmongers would always be blue, greengrocers green, butchers red etc., but with different architectural styles.  Do you think that would help?  But after I have completed these two chains I will do something else for a while. It is starting to get monotonous just painting factories and shops all the time!

@jamespetts - would you eat fish from a car factory ;-)

vilvoh

Quote from: The Hood on January 27, 2009, 08:47:05 AM
the ultimate plan is to have several different styles of shop which vary depending on age, with a consistent colour scheme for each chain [..] but with different architectural styles.

Seems you already had thought about it, hadn't you? IMHO, it's a good way to define the different chains. That would help players to find quickly the different elements of the industrial chain.

It is starting to get monotonous just painting factories and shops all the time!

What about some tourist attractions? ... a monastery, an abbey or a cathedral...several football or rugby stadiums...  :)

The Hood

Kieron has drawn a number of attractions (including football, rugby and cricket grounds) which are in the existing pak.  I have a handful of other attractions which I don't think ever got released properly but they will be in the next release I make.  I have plans for a number of others but my next plan is to create a set of trees which are graphically consistent with the rest of pakBritain, as well as a number of other smaller things we need for a stand-alone release.  But as ever, suggestions welcome!

jamespetts

@jamespetts - would you eat fish from a car factory ;-)

No more than I'd buy a car made at a fish factory...

Incidentally, excellent idea about the different shops!

litlepetslinki

Holy $(#^, that is nice! cant wait for a download! (I am the worlds WORST at finding stuff on the web)

jamespetts

Litlepetslinki - you can't be too bad if you've found Simutrans... ;-)

The Hood

Next up, a fishing ground at sea.  I will do a car showroom, and then release, so if you're lucky it will be this week  ;)

Edit: Preliminary car dealership added

jamespetts

You are making excellent progress! I do love the fishery, indicated by seagulls ;-)

VS

I should buy glasses... and not the drinking kind. I thought these were jumping fish :(

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!