News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Game time and time table configuration.

Started by BenDragon1337, October 11, 2013, 09:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDragon1337

Since I've worked with simutrans for a while now... But something's not right, the problem is that the timetable is based on the "bit per month" in the game setting. By right, the bit per month setting changes how fast the months roll by.

Since the time is dependant on the month and thus, when you change the bits per month, it changes the timetable numbers for the vehicles too.

When I make vehicles, I try to make them the american way, which means that I have HUGE vehicles with a HUGE capacity so that more cargo is made with fewer journeys, meaning less vehicles needed to haul the same load, which makes it more economical to run a company compared to many small vehicles hauling little cargo costing loads to run.

There are various constraints which affect this though including:

• Industry consumption
  • Train Performance, Weighted against running cost
  • Terrain
  • Timetable spacing

Ideally, I would like a vehicle to keep an industry supplied with cargo, using transport which meets the upper quota as close as possible (thus, it allows for large vehicles to be created).

But above all other constraints, the constraint which affects me the most would be the Timetable spacing. You see, I struggle with timetable spacing because the spacing is struggling to go to 2 out of somewhere in the region of 100 different values to be chosen, but none relaly allow for a good adequate spacing between the vehicles, allowing overlap and thus, overflow of the industry.

This leads me to my next point.

I need to change the bits per month in order to "fix" the timetables to suit my gameplay style.

The only thing stopping me form doing this, is the lack of a "save" and "load" feature on the settings tab which will save and load presets, also the lack of the capability to change it in-game.

The only thing the game seems to load when it crashes, would be the "default" settings, which I have to reset all over again to my preferences, which is a tedious task.

Implementing a feature like this will help me because I can just load up pre-defined setting which I know I will like and start up a game with those settings.

Sarlock

You can edit the settings in the simuconf.tab config file (edit the one in your pakset folder), then it will load them every time you start Simutrans.  Which pakset are you using?

You can also bind a key to open up the settings while in an active game and can change the settings there.  Some of the paksets (like pak128.Britain) have a key already bound to open the options window, some do not.  But can you easily bind one with menuconf.tab, setting a key for "dialog_tool[27]=27,<choose a key>".

Just note that bits_per_month also scales industry production rates.  You will also need to save and reload your game after you change the bits_per_month setting in-game.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

BenDragon1337

I am using the british 128 pakset.

If, according to your reply, that the industry rates scales too, how can I avoid my problem and have a much happier time scaling my timetable to suit the vehicle size?

I honestly did not know you could save some settings and reload them on the same game.

Where is the simuconf.tab config file located?

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

BenDragon1337

Quote from: Sarlock on October 11, 2013, 11:49:49 PM
You can edit the settings in the simuconf.tab config file (edit the one in your pakset folder), then it will load them every time you start Simutrans.  Which pakset are you using?

You can also bind a key to open up the settings while in an active game and can change the settings there.  Some of the paksets (like pak128.Britain) have a key already bound to open the options window, some do not.  But can you easily bind one with menuconf.tab, setting a key for "dialog_tool[27]=27,<choose a key>".

Just note that bits_per_month also scales industry production rates.  You will also need to save and reload your game after you change the bits_per_month setting in-game.

I've tried your saving and loading advice when changing the bits per month (Except I never really found the bind key), but it doesn't seem to update when I re-load the save.

Sarlock

If you change it in the config it will not affect an existing save game, only new games.  You need to change the settings for that particular save game while you have it open, using the in-game settings menu.

Look in menuconf.tab and find this area:

(this is the one from pak128, other paksets might look slightly different)

dialog_tool[24]=25,
dialog_tool[25]=20,
#dialog_tool[26]=
dialog_tool[27]=27,~
dialog_tool[28]=26,n

Notice key [27].  This is the one to open the settings menu.  Just use a key that you'd like to assign to that function that isn't already assigned to something.  I use the ~ key.
Current projects: Pak128 Trees, blender graphics

BenDragon1337

Yeah... That's what I thought would have to be done.

Unfortunately the time that it takes to create a new game for "experimenting" with settings just takes too long, thanks anyway.