News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

[Fixed] Question about comfort...

Started by neroden, April 11, 2010, 08:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neroden

So, the hackney carriage is listed as having comfort 30.

When I attach a single horse to it and run it, the comfort listed in the chart is 65.

Likewise, the stagecoach is listed as having comfort 58.

When I attach a double horse to it and run it, the comfort listed in the chart is 79.

This is confusing.  Which comfort number is the one which I plug in in the 'goods' window to estimate income?  How is one number computed from the other number?  What's going *on*?

Thanks in advance for explaining.

EDIT: I think I may have figured this out, and it's probably a bug.  :-(

I think the horses are computed as having a comfort of 100 by default.  The comfort is then averaged over the "two carriages" (riiiight), so 30+100/2 = 65 and 100+58/2 = 79.

I don't think this is desirable.  It has weird results.  If a passenger carriage comfort number is over 100, the train gets less comfortable as you add more engines or freight cars; if it's under 100, the train gets more comfortable as you add more engines (or freight cars).

This is plainly just a bug.  The comfort should only be averaged over vehicles which *contain* passengers.

jamespetts

Neroden,

the behaviour that you describe is not intentional: it is a bug that I have just fixed in my local code (will push to Github in due course). The way that it should work is that the convoy's comfort is the average comfort of all passenger vehicles in the convoy. In the current version, the comfort is the average of all vehicles in the convoy, including the horses. Comfort will default to 100, so it will be the average of the default comfort for the horses and the actual comfort for the carriage.

In 8.0 and later, comfort will be the average comfort of passenger carrying vehicles only. Thank you for spotting the issue!
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

neroden

Excellent.  That'll make the Hackney a lot less profitable, mind you!  And it's barely profitable as it is.  I think pak.Britain is going to need a general boost in passenger revenues in the pre-1900 years....

jamespetts

The whole thing needs re-balancing. I am waiting on some real-world figures for running and purchase costs, however.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.