News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Pak 128 Monorail Idea

Started by Toramilitia06, April 15, 2010, 11:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toramilitia06

After seeing that pak 128 lacked a monorail, I created this concept idea but I need some help. It is called a Vactrain, their is more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vactrain. The artwork is crude but I hope this idea gets incorporated into the pakset or becomes a high-quality addon. If you need the files, email me

vilvoh

The idea of covered monorail tracks is very interesting, but you will need to combine front and back images to get the effect, and I don't know if this is possible for way objects.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Václav

Vilvoh: I agree with you. For basic way objects it is not possible. But it could be done with following: one part (back) will be as track, the second part (front) will be as catenary. And of course, coverage has to be transparent. Else it won't be nice, at all. And also: here will be problem with stations, I am worried about.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

vilvoh

Good catch! that would be the simutrans way to solve it, Vaclav.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

Václav

And here is, of course, also problem with depot. It has to be improved for using catenary, of course not by *.dat file (if I am not wrong) - but by graphics. Else it will give very strange result. Or catenary has to get suitable shape - it means not shape from the first post.

ӔO

I thought about doing vactrain way graphics too.

the london underground addon pak at the addon site had an interesting way of making the rails underground look like they were in tubes.
unfortunately, it doesn't look proper when using those above ground.

an I idea I had was to make the signals look like gates that open on green and close on red, since vacuums require that the tube be sealed.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

Václav

At last my opinion on whole this idea: this could be very interesting - but for maglev, not for monorail. Monorail is very slow (if I am not wrong, the fastest goes about 100 km/h) and so for it tube is not needed. But maglevs' speed begin on 400 km/h (Gauthier's Cirrus) and ends on about 750 km/h (Gauthier's Ultima and my Arboria). So here tube track would fit better - and, if my idea would be brought to the life, engine types like hydrogene or fuel cells could be eliminated from maglev transportation - and electric engine could be used.

London underground addon: nothing against; I use its stations for one rail stations (for multiple rail stations I have used my own stations for some time) - but that tunnel has very strange effect mostly in stations. Black area below own track is OK and it is why it cannot be used above ground.

ӔO

Quote from: VaclavMacurek on April 24, 2010, 07:24:21 PM
London underground addon: nothing against; I use its stations for one rail stations (for multiple rail stations I have used my own stations for some time) - but that tunnel has very strange effect mostly in stations. Black area below own track is OK and it is why it cannot be used above ground.

yeah, that is another problem I saw with that pak. I assume you lay down the 4th rail first, then go over the parts not in stations with the tunnel graphic.
My Sketchup open project sources
various projects rolled up: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/17111233/Roll_up.rar

Colour safe chart:

gauthier

QuoteBut maglevs' speed begin on 400 km/h (Gauthier's Cirrus)

431 km/h with Transrapid TR 08 ;)

For the catenary system there's a simple thing to do ...

Use the tube graphic for the way and use another graphic for stations which won't make strange glitches ...

Václav

TransRapid is the first but Cirrus is the slowest. SNFOS_cirrus_turbojet_engine goes only 400 km/h. And SNFOS_Eole_front_duplex goes only 400 km/h too.

gauthier

eole duplex is derived from eole to desserve suburbs and short lines so you can't count it.

TR08 => 431 km/h
Concept_1 => 450 km/h
Cirrus => 500 km/h (cirrus duplex => 300 km/h)