News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Buildings under bridges and viaducts

Started by Lord Vetinari, April 18, 2010, 05:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

I'm not asking to be able to drag bridges over existing buildings, quite the contrary.
I build a viaduct over empty land, a couple of years pass, a nearby city grows or a new industry chain starts, and I end up with skyscrapers or chimneys popping through my elevated ways. Is it possible to limit the size of the buildings that can grow under a bridge or a viaduct?
I know it's not a crucial issue, just wanted to point it out.

Dwachs

Same goes for tree growing through sinkansen tracks (etc)

It is possible to implement such a feature. We are looking for volunteers :)
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

jamespetts

This would indeed seem like a sensible idea - for elevated ways, too.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

neroden

Does a building have a height recorded anywhere in the .pak?

Since I do want buildings underneath viaducts to be possible -- short buildings -- I think having access to a building height is absolutely essential in order for this to happen.  If the height isn't recorded, we need to start recording it before doing anything else.  (Likewise, trees would need recorded heights.)

The Hood

Not currently.  Maybe one should be introduced, with an assumption that its value is height = 1 otherwise?

VS

An even better way to do this would be based on amount of vertical images, since then no new parameter is needed... maybe?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

gauthier

It's possible for one tile building but for the others ?

vilvoh

I think you could guess the buidling's height by the content of the dat file, that must be stored in some internal structure inside Simutrans code. I mean, in the dat file, you don't specify the height, but you can guess it by the images set indexes, as VS has suggested.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

The Hood

That did occur to me, but some graphics that are 1x1 size would still look too large under a bridge, hence my suggestion for a new parameter.  But maybe it could default to the number of vertical images.

Fabio

The heigth of a bridge could be guessed as it is for its pillars.

That of buildings, from the number of piled images

Amelek

still, 1x1x1 city building is higher then common bridge so it wont really work.

same thing happens underground - you can, for example, dig tunnels under coal mine.

neroden

Quote from: Amelek on April 29, 2010, 12:44:59 PM
still, 1x1x1 city building is higher then common bridge so it wont really work.
Hmm.  The default could require a one level "spacing" between the building (or tree) and the bridge -- a 1-high graphic would be registered as only fitting under bridges at least *2* high.  There should still be some way to actually specify vertical thickness in the .dat files, as this is a very sloppy approximation.

same thing happens underground - you can, for example, dig tunnels under coal mine.
Now that seems rather more complicated to deal with -- one thing at a time I think....