News:

Simutrans Wiki Manual
The official on-line manual for Simutrans. Read and contribute.

ProperMike's Parking Decks..

Started by rfg123, April 25, 2010, 09:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfg123

Does anyone happen to have ProperMike's parking deck pak file from his website?

http://www.props.freeservers.com/simutrans.htm

The .zip has the wrong files in it, and I could not get a hold of Mike by email. If not, a template for writing a new .dat file for station extensions would be most helpful..

Thanks,

RFG

**Note - Please see reply #16 for the completed parking deck source and pak files..

rfg123

Can anyone help with this? Over a month and no response from the contact address on that website..

vilvoh

I think the site is death. Propermike was member of the old forum and actually he has a user account here (link) Last time he was active is 12-04-2010, 20:18:46 so maybe if you send him a PM or a message to the email shown in his profile, you can get a response.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

They are part of pak128 (also in the open version).

Mike is... I'd call it "permanently away". You can try sending him email to the mws... address; it still works and he responds about once a year ;D

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rfg123

Quote from: VS on May 27, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
They are part of pak128 (also in the open version).

Well I knew the city building version was there, but the transit station extension version is not there, at least not in the version I am using. I needed something to replace the post office and remember seeing the parking decks on his website.

Quote from: VS on May 27, 2010, 07:45:51 PMMike is... I'd call it "permanently away". You can try sending him email to the mws... address; it still works and he responds about once a year ;D

Yes, the address in his profile is the same as on the website.. I sent him an email around April 23rd. Hopefully he will get back to me eventually, but I was hoping someone had the correct files here on the forum.

VS

Hmmm... First, I can download the file by clicking on picture. You can't?

Second, the text over there is a bit misleading - in the download are city houses, not extensions. On the other hand, they come with sources so adapting them could be relatively simple.

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

rfg123

Quote from: VS on May 27, 2010, 09:11:05 PM
Hmmm... First, I can download the file by clicking on picture. You can't?

Second, the text over there is a bit misleading - in the download are city houses, not extensions. On the other hand, they come with sources so adapting them could be relatively simple.

I attached the .png that should come in the file, but instead the .zip includes files for a set a bit further down on the page. I retrieved it by saving the image that links to the [wrong] download.

The problem is, I have no idea how to code a station extension (specifically creating a menu icon to go with it).

rfg123

Sorry to bump my own thread, however I need help and it is relevant.

I have been working to get these parking garages in game. However, I am struggling with the .dat file, because PakHelper keeps giving me a useless pak file only 1k in size.

I attached both the sources I made with propermike's image. Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

vilvoh

You can code is as an extension building, but then you need to specify the waytype.
Obj=building
Name=Garage
type=stop
extension_building=1
enables_pax=1
enables_post=1
Level=9
intro_year = 1977
intro_month = 1
NoInfo=1
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=garage.0.0
icon=> garage.0.1
cursor=garage.0.2

However, I recommend you to code is as a commercial building, using this dat file..

Obj=building
Name=Parking
Type=com
copyright=Propermike/rfg123
Level=2
chance=100
intro_year = 1977
intro_month = 1
climates=desert,tropic,mediterran,temperate,tundra,rocky,arctic
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=garage.0.0

Imho, it fits better at that category. Anyway, when you're using Pakhelper and you suspect something went wrong with the pak file, it's good to check the log file called pak.log that contains the makeobj output messages written during the compilation process. If there's something strange or wrong, It should appear there as a warning message.

rfg123

Thank you vilvoh. Unfortunately it still does not work. Making it a commercial building did work, and it looked great in game. However, this building already exists as a commercial building in pak128, and I need it as an extension.

This was the text of the pak log:

Quote from: Image size is set to 128x128
writing invidual files to ./
   reading file ./largeparkingdeck.dat
   writing file ./building.LargeParkingDeck.pak
      packing building.LargeParkingDeck

It seems that it is simply not taking the image file..

VS

Umm... is the pak file broken, or is it merely invisible in game? Because you can't have two things under the same name, then one overwrites the other...

propermike

Whoops!

Seems I missed your email.  I get a little over-zealous when I empty my in-box.  Everything in there is viewed with suspicion.  I apologize for missing it.  Thankfully I ran across this thread.

Anyway, here is everything I could find from that garage that I kept.  Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with simutrans for quite some time.   

I have some unfinished work lying around if someone would like to have a look at it.  Pick out what might be worth working on.  I'm certainly not doing anything with them at the moment and it seems like a waste.  Just let me know and I'll leave the files here.

Sorry again about being so hard to reach,
Mike

rfg123

Well guys I am starting to think this is a lost cause; trying to convert these garages into station extension buildings. Maybe I am missing some critical component to the .dat, or maybe there is a typo somewhere, but PakHelper simply will not produce a usable pak file. All I get is a 1kb file, and the pak log always shows that the program skipped the image completely. It works fine to put together a city building, however. There is obviously something missing for the extension.

Quote from: propermike on June 24, 2010, 03:31:43 AM
Whoops!

Seems I missed your email.  I get a little over-zealous when I empty my in-box.  Everything in there is viewed with suspicion.  I apologize for missing it.  Thankfully I ran across this thread.

Anyway, here is everything I could find from that garage that I kept.  Unfortunately, I haven't done anything with simutrans for quite some time.  

I have some unfinished work lying around if someone would like to have a look at it.  Pick out what might be worth working on.  I'm certainly not doing anything with them at the moment and it seems like a waste.  Just let me know and I'll leave the files here.

Sorry again about being so hard to reach,
Mike

No problem, I appreciate you posting here to share those graphic and text files. I would be happy to take a look at any unfinished projects you have, I always admired your work.

vilvoh

I think I've found what you missed. You must specify the dimensions of the building. In this case, the proper value is

Dims=1,1,1

mobo

My Mailbox extension works fine with this code here:

----------------
Obj=building
Name=Briefkasten
NoInfo=1
copyright=mobo
intro_year = 1810
intro_month = 1
type=extension
waytype=road
enables_post=1
cursor=post.1.0
icon=> ../buttons/roadbuttons.2.3
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][0]=post.1.0
BackImage[0][0][0][0][0][1]=post.3.0
----------------

VS

What makeobj are you using? Maybe it's outdated...

rfg123

Friends, I have achieved success. Both of Mike's parking decks - large and small size - are now coded as extension buildings. The small one becomes available in 1974 with no retirement, and the larger version becomes available in 1986 with no retirement date.

The problem was I was using a dated version of MakeObj that came with the PakHelper (as VS stated - thanks!), once I replaced it with the newest version everything worked fine.

Please enjoy ProperMike's fine parking structures next to your stops, all the source files and pak files are here -

stmaker

Em... parking decks as "extension stops"?
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

vilvoh

They're not stops, STransMaker.

Quote from: rfg123 on June 25, 2010, 05:01:02 PM
Both of Mike's parking decks - large and small size - are now coded as extension buildings. -

They can be built next to stops, to increase their capacity..

stmaker

Quote from: vilvoh on August 19, 2010, 07:16:06 AM
They're not stops, STransMaker.

They can be built next to stops, to increase their capacity..

Oops, I said the wrong thing... I meant extension stops...
Version using: Simutrans v111.0
Paks: pak64, pak96.comic, pak128 openr582, pak128.Britain, pak128.Japan, pak192.comic
Using: Paint.NET, Paint, Photoshop, SketchUp
Future Addon(s): Building (Link)
Current Addon(s): Eye-See Mart and Several Building addons  Ask me any questions. I'm free.

Isaac Eiland-Hall

Quote from: STransMaker on August 19, 2010, 07:28:03 AM

No, they are "extension buildings", as was already stated. That is possibly short for "station extension buildings", if it helps you understand.

rfg123

Quote from: STransMaker on August 19, 2010, 07:28:03 AM

They are "station extension buildings", which means you place them next to existing road/rail/air stops to add to their capacity. Same function as the post offices or the oil and gasoline tanks..