News:

Simutrans Chat Room
Where cool people of Simutrans can meet up.

Finding, Pak128.Britain 1.07 and Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6 DoR 1, Orchard production

Started by Dutchman on Rails, April 29, 2010, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dutchman on Rails

I'm sorry to have to report a finding.

Reproduces with:
- Simutrans 102.2.2 with Simutrans Experimental 7.3 and Pak128.Britain 1.07
- Simutrans 102.2.2 with Simutrans Experimental 7.3 and Pak128.Britain-Experimental 0.6
- Simutrans 102.2.2 with Pak128.Britain 1.07

Finding:

Orchard production of fruit jumps from 8 to 20. Orchard production of cider wasn't observed closely, but seems erratic at first glance.

jamespetts

DoR,

thank you for your report. Can you post a saved game so that I can investigate further?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

Dutchman on Rails

I can, but unfortunately not from the location I'm at, so it will take a few days.
If you do not wish to wait, you can easily reproduce:
1) Use the Windows Installer to install Simutrans 102.2.2 with Pak128.Britain 1.07
2) Start a new game.
3) Build a greengrocers' industry.
4) Build a route from one of the orchards to the greengrocers'.
5) Watch the orchard production carefully.
6) (Optional) Connect the orchard to a pub and again watch the production carefully.

The Hood

Dutchman on Rails

I can reproduce it. Is there some way I can trace this further for you?
I'm now also experimenting with the .dat files. As the orchard is the only one showing signs of trouble on my end, I could see if I can find something there.

Edit to Add: I get errors on both Pak128.Britain 1.07 and Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6 when attempting to extract BritIndustry.pak/BritIndustry-Ex.pak:

ERROR: could not open factory.♣Ç♥♦☺.pak for writing (aborting) (Pak128.Britain 1.07)

ERROR: could not open factory.♣┴♥♦♥.pak for writing (aborting) (Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6)

The Hood

Do you know which orchard in particular is causing the problem?  There are different ones for different game years - so which game year is causing the problem?

Dutchman on Rails

The Orchard1750.

Edit: I've isolated the problem for Simutrans Standard 102.2.2 with Pak128.Britain-Ex 1.07.

The orchard1750 produces fruit as described before. With Cider, it produces up to 5, then resets, but drops 10 instead of 5 to the stop.

Either problem is gone by setting the OutputCapacity in Orchard.dat for the relevant good to 35 and recompiling. I do not know of any other settings.

The Hood

Not sure why this should be so.  Could this be a bug in the executable?  Would be grateful for the thoughts of one of the developers...

neroden

Quote from: Dutchman on Rails on May 03, 2010, 02:17:01 PM
The Orchard1750.

Edit: I've isolated the problem for Simutrans Standard 102.2.2 with Pak128.Britain-Ex 1.07.

The orchard1750 produces fruit as described before. With Cider, it produces up to 5, then resets, but drops 10 instead of 5 to the stop.
Factories dump product to stations in minimum increments of 10 (this is part of the game executable, not sure exactly why).  So product will pile up at the factory until it reaches 10, then be dropped at the station for shipment.  (Factory storage capacities less than 10 will cause bizarre and disastrous behavior.  The cider should probably actually be increased to a storage capacity of 11, as I'm not sure how a capacity of exactly 10 will work.)

Factories also produce "lumpily", a whole bunch of product at once (four times a month IIRC).  Does this explain any of your problems? I suspect the factory is actually producing 5 cider, then another 5 -- which hits 10 and immediately triggers a drop of product to the station, before you can see it happen -- bringing you back to 0.   I'm not exactly sure what is happening with the fruit, but it's likely to be something similar.

Dutchman on Rails

Hi Neroden,

I'm sorry, but I never seem to recall industries producing in lumps, I can't confirm that as normal behaviour. In all my games, and that includes the modified Orchard with a capacity of 35 instead of 15/10, the industry produces 1 every x time, then when at 10 (effectively 11), it skips one production and instead dumps 10 into the stop. Sorry I can't help.

jamespetts

Should we check all of Pak128.Britain to check that all storage capacities are at least 11?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.