News:

Simutrans Tools
Know our tools that can help you to create add-ons, install and customize Simutrans.

climatic and cultural regions

Started by gauthier, May 02, 2010, 12:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Some times ago an extension named "equatorial wind" was purposed. But it seems to be difficult to do and it won't have any sense if you use the map extension tool ...

There is more simple to do :

=> cut the map into regions depending of the relief.
Each region would have its climate (like the current system of climate control which depends of the height).

But with this kind of system cultural regions would be defined. So each region could have :
_ its citybuildings, monuments
_ its tourist's attractions
_ its cityroads (with the cityroad timeline ...)
_ its intercity roads
_ its townhalls
_ why not its type of city growing ? (shape of streets and industrial/commercial balance, why not if the city prefers growing by extending its limits or by increasing its density ?)
_ why not its industries ?
_ why not its citycars ?

This is all my idea (for istant :D ).

For example : Paris like region (about nowadays)
_ temperate climate
_ houses, hausmannian buildings, medium sized buildings, medium skyscrapers for commercial.
_ its attractions .... mmh currently there is no parisian attractions
_ asphalt cityroad with tar sidewalk
_ asphalt road
_ old townhalls
_ growing by extending, well defined commercial districts (like La Défense in Paris, where all skyscrapers are), residential districts with small houses or medium buildings, some industrial districts (mainly storage buildings).
_ cement and concrete industries
_ small and medium citycars (not fast cars or hummers ...).

jamespetts

Interesting idea. Perhaps it could simply be called a "region", and be defined, not just by altitude, but also by latitude?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

gauthier

no no no it's not defined by altitude, it's juste defined randomly at the begining of a game depending of the map ... (for example, a moutain can be a limit between two regions).

Václav

Something good is in this idea, Gauthier ... but I am worried about it cannot be brought to the life in form you think. James' idea is closer to be alive.

If I am not wrong, for desert climate is (was) prepared townhall in style of palace of any Arabic ruler. So adding next townhalls in other styles ... and binding them to some altitudes is possible.

Chybami se člověk učí - ale někteří lidé jsou nepoučitelní

jamespetts

Another thing to consider is having different levels of map roughness/mountain height in different regions.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

gauthier

several regions with same climate can be created, also a region could be created by anyone with makeobj like any other object.

This system will be more realistic than the current one.

colonyan

I'm surprised I've never seen this one.
I personally like this one.
Different city building sets depending on region. How wonderful.

To start with how about define default size of region like
256*256. Place them on the map one by one.

colonyan

A same word can mean different thing for different person.
I meant start discussion with 256 square tile region.
One seems most simple.

My capacity does not allow me to program and learn it to certain extent,
I merely adds few words on this topic hoping it leads somewhere.  :D