News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

[Experimental release] Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6

Started by jamespetts, April 10, 2010, 08:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Apologies for not having replied to this sooner: this is a fascinating saved game and accompanying analysis from SDog, and I did want time to reply properly. Firstly, I am very glad that some of the design aims of Simutrans-Experimental are finally percolating their way through to people's playing experiences: we have suburban rail, efficiency of network design, choosing the most suitable vehicles for local transportation, and an end to fun-stopping mega-profits all demonstrated with great effectiveness in this one saved game. It is very interesting to note the entirely realistic correlation between ridership and frequency, which is entirely absent in Standard: this is a most encouraging sign.

It is evident that some things still need refining, however. The Schools class locomotive's real-life weight is 68t, so some further investigation is needed into the correct balance of the weights/prices of railway track. It should be possible for a player to afford the heaviest, fastest track if he/she is frugal and has a large enough empire. Might I ask - was there a reason that you didn't use earlier, light locomotives such as the GER Claude Hamilton or the GWR Bulldog?

Another thing that will need some looking into, possibly, are the journey time tolerance settings. They might currently be a little too harsh: I have eased them for the next version, so we shall see how that turns out: likewise, I have increased the power of the petrol-electric omnibus.

It is evident that there needs to be some filling in of the timeline of rail vehicles at around the era in which you are playing, on which I have already started work. Your suburban trains were using the LMS 4F and the Metropolitan Dreadnought carriages, which is an... interesting combination. I have produced an LMS 3P tank locomotive (introduced: 1930) and plan to produce some LMS suburban carriages to go with it, and will also produce an equivalent set of suburban vehicles from about 20-30 years earlier.

Incidentally, I had already increased the renovation percentage for the -devel branch in my local files, which will be updated when the Pak128.Britain-Ex for 8.0 is released. Likewise, the cost of demolishing houses has been reworked to make it more realistic. (And "Buy House" is present in Pak128.Britain-Ex for me with 8.0 - so I am not sure what problem that Neroden is having).
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on May 09, 2010, 05:02:40 PM(And "Buy House" is present in Pak128.Britain-Ex for me with 8.0 - so I am not sure what problem that Neroden is having).

It's there in your build, I just can't figure out how to get it when building from source.  I'm going to try to clean things up so that "anyone can build it".  I guess I can do this in parallel to the line ending fixes.

jamespetts

Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

neroden

Quote from: jamespetts on May 09, 2010, 09:32:16 PM
Hmm, that's odd.

As noted elsewhere, I found the problem while rebranching and it's fixed in the rebranch.  (A change in standard got lost during previous attempts to sort out the multiple copies of files in the repo.)