News:

Want to praise Simutrans?
Your feedback is important for us ;D.

Problem with may 10 (v 280) nightly

Started by Lord Vetinari, May 14, 2010, 08:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

It seems that I can't run it. I mean, I can load the pak at the startup, but the game crashes as soon as I try to load an old game or start a new one with the error:

Assertion Fail!

Program: ...\simutrans\sim-winsdl.exe
File: simfab.cc
Line: 220

Expression: plan

Currently I have installed Simutrans r3233, sdl version, but the same error happens with r3192 sdl (which I used without problems untill a couple of days ago with pak Britain 1.07) and all GDI versions.

I also tried a fresh install of the game, but nothing changed.
All other paksets (well, at least pak 64, 128 and 128.Japan) work fine.

I still think that it can be a problem on my end, but I can't figure out what it may be...

The Hood

Sounds like a pak issue, but I don't know what.  Could someone familiar with the code explain the error message and likely cause?

Dwachs

Quote from: The Hood on May 14, 2010, 09:17:06 PM
Sounds like a pak issue, but I don't know what.  Could someone familiar with the code explain the error message and likely cause?
This happens when the previous world (ie the startgame) is cleared. The program tries to delete a field from a factory but could not find the tile, where the field is supposed to be.

Edit: This error should be fixed with revision 3289.

However, there seems to be an error in generating the nighlty paks: all factories do not have any fields associated. I will contact wernieman.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Lord Vetinari

Ok, I could load my game with the latest nightly (r3291).

As you said, there are no fields in the loaded game.

jamespetts

The problem was that, when Knightly's patch for multiple fields was put in, the syntax for fields changed: old field syntax no longer works; although, I think that backwards compatibility has been put in the latest nightlies, hasn't it...?
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

sanna

Last nightly (May 10th) shows no fields on loading of saved game, but factory seem to retain productivity with fields. New game from same nightly creates no fields, productivity very low (4 units per Sheep Farm) which might indicate no fields have been calculated?

So I would say, NOT fixed in latest nightly..., since the latest nightly is still the one Vetinari reported the problem on.

jamespetts

I was referring to the nightly binaries of Simutrans, not the nightly builds of Pak128.Britain...

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Dwachs

Quote from: jamespetts on May 16, 2010, 11:20:06 AM
The problem was that, when Knightly's patch for multiple fields was put in, the syntax for fields changed: old field syntax no longer works; although, I think that backwards compatibility has been put in the latest nightlies, hasn't it...?
Yes, you are right. This fix is in trunk. The problem is now with the makeobj version that is used to create the nightly pak's.

jamespetts

Perhaps there should be a nightly makeobj used to make the nightly paks?

Lord Vetinari

MAybe you already know that, but there are no fields also in may 17 nightly

Dwachs

the next nightly should have these fields again (whenever it will be generated).

The Hood

nightly paks are generated every Monday I think.  Do I need to change anything in the pak128.Britain SVN to get fields working again, or is this a exe/makeobj problem that is now solved?

Dwachs

This was a makeobj bug, which should be resolved now.

Edit: there is a new nightly version at the nightly download page. There fields should be working againg. Please check.

Lord Vetinari

knightly

First of all, really sorry for any inconvenience caused by my multiple fields patch which does not have backward compatibility with the old syntax (i.e. without subcripts like [ 0 ]). :-[

It is not a bug, but rather the outcome of my decision to maintain consistency with other similar properties like InputGood[0] which also require subscript [ 0 ] even if there is only 1 set of data. But apparently I was wrong : backward compatibility is more important than consistency of dat file syntax, as pakset authors may not be aware of the change in syntax, and it is troublesome to change the existing dat files too.

A couple of days after James notified me of this problem in early April, I already issued a patch to add backward compatibility and posted it in the Programmers' Corner. However, Prissi/Dwachs were probably too busy with other issues, so it did not get incorporated until May.

sanna

Confirmed, the fields are back... though I needed to erase quite a few since I had kept playing the game while they were missing, and the returning fields were placed on top of the tracks I had laid in their absence...