News:

Simutrans Sites
Know our official sites. Find tools and resources for Simutrans.

Estuaries

Started by jamespetts, May 15, 2010, 12:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

As shown in the attached screenshot, currently, tidal rivers do not have wide estuaries when they meet with the sea. It would, I think, enhance both appearance and gameplay challenges if tidal rivers such as that shown could be generated with estuaries (i.e. - they get wider when they get near the sea) to match their real life counterparts.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

vilvoh

Well, an estuary is more or less the end of a river, asuming all rivers in game end up in the sea, so a possible solution would be to create a end tile for rivers that represents the estuary.

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

jamespetts

I'm not quite sure how that would work to make estuaries wider than they are now...?

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

sdog

more of a problem for experimental, where the tile size can be set to 250 m. In standard the tile size is already 1 km, that should be enough for estuaries.

jamespetts

What counts is the relative size of the estuary compared to the width of the river itself. The shape of the river mouths is currently incorrect.

prissi

The river gets wider: It is a full tile plus two border tiles at the lowest hight level.

jamespetts

The estuaries don't seem to widen enough in proportion to the width of the pre-estuary tidal river, though, as in the picture.

AP

I can't help but notice that there aren't actually any river tiles in that screenshot, only sea.

jamespetts

Quote from: AP on May 15, 2010, 08:06:47 PM
I can't help but notice that there aren't actually any river tiles in that screenshot, only sea.

Tidal rivers are generated in game by lowering a channel of land to sea level on map generation.

prissi

That is the widening ...

jamespetts

Quote from: prissi on May 15, 2010, 10:30:30 PM
That is the widening ...

Yes, but they'd widen further just before they reached the sea.