News:

Simutrans Forum Archive
A complete record of the old Simutrans Forum.

[openPAK128] source repository

Started by sdog, May 15, 2010, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdog

As i understand the source of openPak128 will be made public soon. My request is using github as repositor for this, and git instead of subversion (svn) as version management.

The first reason for this is that my friends who use svn typically look like this

while people i know who use git quite often look like this:

Another reason is this: the githug network graph for simutrans-experimental

you can browse it yourselves here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1876190/github_network.png
This graph only displays the much better overview one gets over different branches and stages of development in a project. This prevents forks becoming incompatible when different people work at it and work getting overlooked or lost. Both should help to get more participation in the project without creating more workload for the maintainer (eg. Vladimir Slavik).

ot: a new thread, for post 101
(edit: proofreading)

gauthier

most of public source files for objects are published on graphics.simutrans ...

VS

gauthier: not true. The site would explode if I uploaded it all :P

sdog: I'm not strongly opposed to switching the system, but is there a Git gui for windows good enough for dummies? Because from this perspective, that's what I am, more or less... ;) Think of the painters etc. Also, pakset isn't exactly code; most of the data are graphical.

In the end it boils down to this: benefit / cost = k * current_state; k > 1 ?

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

sdog

sorry, i don't know anything about integration in windows, wikipedia pointed me to http://code.google.com/p/msysgit/. (Eclipse also has full git support in windows i think, but it would probably a bit overkill to use a full IDE.)
I think James Petts can probably tell you more about this.
update:Tortoisegit looks better for windows http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

people who don't contribute very often, can very well use the web frontend of github. as i understand you use svn for the closed source pak128 at the moment?

i don't think it's a problem that a lot of the content are graphics. You can see what theHood/jamespetts/neroden are doing with their pak128britain(-experimental) pakset(s). Also i expect quite a lot of the changs you have to do are related to modification in dat files, for balancing, bug fixing, enhancements.

VS

Thanks! I'll definitely research tortoisegit when I have some time. That looks good to me, and if I have to fiddle with command line for some special "admin actions", why not. I can do that... to certain extent ;)

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Dwachs

Do not touch TortoieGit!!! Although the name is similar to TortoiseSVN, the program itself is a nightmare! I ruined my TortoiseSVN installation by trying to install TortoiseGit. (Ok this was one year ago, but be warned)

There is a git-gui somewhere (maybe belonging to this msysgit)

But imho working with this git gui under windows cannot compared to working with TortoiseSVN. The latter is much more comfortable.
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

Combuijs

At home and at work I use GitExtensions http://sourceforge.net/projects/gitextensions/. Works very well, though 3-way merges remain quite mysterious.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

VS

Another dvcs option would be to use Mercurial... any opinions on that?

neroden

If you're going to use a distributed VCS, I advise git simply because of its large 'market share', although there's nothing *wrong* with Mercurial.  Also, github hosting is free for open source projects.  Though apparently sourceforge offers both git and mercurial for free if you already have a sourceforge project set up.  

Finally, only github has that neat 'network' map tool, which I use a *lot*.

James Petts is the one to ask about using git in Windows.  (Edit: Combuijs seems to know what he's doing too.)

Github is also offering the ability to use subversion clients to read and write from repositories hosted at github, though I haven't tested it and they warn that it's beta.  As I mentioned over at http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=4962.msg50195#msg50195

Dwachs

We have already a svn-repository at sourceforge with pak64 and pak128.Britain. Why not put pak128 there too?
Parsley, sage, rosemary, and maggikraut.

vilvoh

Perhaps it's a matter of space, does SF have any constraints in that sense?

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

VS

A size constraint on any kind of vcs would render it useless...

(My master's thesis is due on Friday so you'll have to excuse me from actually researching this or thinking much about it this week...)

wernieman

Sorry, but on my Server will not a GIT ......
I hope you understand my English

wlindley

Please use the same place as pak64 and pak128.Britain ... consistency is more important than specific features. 

Ideally all simutrans sources for code and paks, and even Blender images and textures, would be in a single place.

prissi

I think too that the actual content management system is not as important as the exisitence of on at all. Moreover, GIT as well as SVN are not ideal for binary data (which are the largest chunk of SVN of pak sets).

But in sourceforge everthing is so far in SVN and thus the logical place for pak128 would be there too. The offer git services too, but I think it would make most sense to stay with SVN. It is also more common and mature.

wernieman

I think SF for openPAK128 ist the best place too ....
I hope you understand my English

jonasbb

SF has git support. Does anyone know more about this?

neroden

All I really have to say is that if you use SVN and some people still want to use git, set up a git mirror on day one, as it will save you a lot of hassle later.  Ansgar was very helpful doing that for pak128.britain.