News:

Do you need help?
Simutrans Wiki Manual can help you to play and extend Simutrans. In 9 languages.

I can't get simutrans to run on ubuntu hardy

Started by xtothez, September 27, 2008, 05:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtothez

I must of missed something. I downloaded the version 1.00 with SDL from sourceforge and the pak128.
I extracted the files in the same directory.

I have the correct directory structure as pointed out in another thread.

If i run the executable it says that libSDL_mixer does not exist. What step did i miss. Everywhere i look, it says it should run out of the box because the SDL is part of the main simutrans package.

whoami

The two necessary SDL libraries are included in the archive for Windows, but not the one for Linux. Maybe you can get them via the package management of your OS, or from http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php.

xtothez

Ok, got that installed. That worked out great! Thanks

Perhaps change the wording on this thread to avoid confusion as it seems like SDL and SDL mixer are included.
http://forum.simutrans.com/index.php?topic=15.0

vilvoh

In general, Linux programs and games do not usually include libraries, just the contrary in Windows. That's part of the philosophy of GNU/linux. Libraries are common to all applications, why should be included in each one? The solution is not to include them and use the space saved in other things (more code or multimedia content)

P.S: no flamewars, please... ::)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

DirrrtyDirk

I can't see any flame - and by the way, I think he's right:

the link in the thread says "Linux with SDL and SDL_mixer" maybe we should really change that to "Linux (requires SDL and SDL_mixer)"

***** PAK128 Dev Team - semi-retired*****

vilvoh

Quote from: DirrrtyDirk on September 27, 2008, 07:58:45 PM
I can't see any flame
Opss, what I meant is that I don't want start any flamewar about Linux vs Windows and which one is the best. I was not blaming him...I was trying to explain from where comes his misunderstanding. It's very common in new Linux users. Anyway, I apologize If I was not clear enough... :-[

On the other hand, both are right. I would also put Linux (for SDL and SDL_mixer)

Escala Real...a blog about Simutrans in Spanish...

whoami

OK, I've changed the 100.0 announcement and the wiki page.