News:

Simutrans.com Portal
Our Simutrans site. You can find everything about Simutrans from here.

Rail depots with built in choose signal

Started by Lord Vetinari, May 20, 2010, 05:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Vetinari

It seems that currently you can't start a train from the depot if the platform it's scheduled to stop at is used by another train, even if there is a choose signal between the depot and the station and there are other empty platforms. Or, at least, this is my experience in my games; in later stages of the games, when there are more lines and more trains per line, this behaviour can be a problem when you try to add new trains or replace old ones.

I think that it would be better if trains can choose an empty platform right from inside the depot, or, if this is a problem, if at least they can leave the depot as long as the track untill the next signal is empty, no matter what's the state of their scheduled platforms.

Combuijs

What exactly is "currently"? In the latest stable (non-experimental) version this is absolutely no problem. You don't even need a free platform on leaving the depot.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs

Lord Vetinari

The last version I've played is r3317, but I've seen this on other nightlies too. Not a fresh game, though, I loaded a savegame.

I honestly don't remember what was the behaviour of the last stable, it's been a while since I played it.

prissi

Ich cannot starte a train if there is not enough free space of track to be resevered. I think you want to start many trains even if they cannot leave teh depot currently.

skreyola

@prissi: It would be awesome if you could do this with trains as you can with road vehicles. :-D
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

TrainMith

Even better to have a gui to the queue, so as to change the order before a train leaves the depot. 

I might add that I'm definitely not expecting this anytime soon, though.   :)

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: prissi on May 20, 2010, 08:05:49 PM
Ich cannot starte a train if there is not enough free space of track to be resevered. I think you want to start many trains even if they cannot leave teh depot currently.

Do you meen free space with or without the platform? Maybe that's the problem.

This is my usual layout:

Station -> couple of tiles of switch area, depending on the size of the station -> depot.
Where there is enough room, I add a couple of tiles of track between the depot and the switch area, so that I can put a choose signal on it (in this case, the station became so big that I had no more space for that). In the first part of my games it works.

Combuijs

I indeed always have the choose signal between the depot and the platform. Otherwise you are bound for trouble in busy situations. When a train still can't leave the depot, because the ingoing track is occupied every time, then that is a sign for me that the station is getting overcrowded with trains. No sense to add trains to the line then, you should increase the throughput of the station.
Bob Marley: No woman, no cry

Programmer: No user, no bugs