News:

Use the "Forum Search"
It may help you to find anything in the forum ;).

Config-file for Exp8.0

Started by AvG, May 25, 2010, 01:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AvG

James,
The new config-file differs a lot from the one in the latest Pak-Britain-Ex.
Would is be wise to replace that one by the new one?
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

Dutchman on Rails

I've tried that, and it didn't crash my game. So I suppose it's safe...

AvG

Because I wanted to go on I also did it.
No problems, and I am sure that the right config-file is used.
I am still not convinced of the necessity of those 2 config-files, which is difficult for new users and also can cause errors for experienced users.
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

AvG

So I copied the new config also in the PakBritain-Ex.
It is running indeed , but after some time I discovered I had no waterways at all.
Copied the chapter "Rivers" into the new config. Now I do have waterways.
Conclusion: Replacing the org config of Pak-Britain by the new config is possible but you are missing gamesettings of the Pak-Britain-Ex that are not existing in the new config.
Question: Why are not ALL game-parameters available in 1 new config?
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG and DoR,

thank you for your queries and discussion: apologies for not responding earlier, as I have just returned from holiday in Paris (interesting Metro system).

The existence of the two configuration files comes from Simutrans-Standard, where the both files also exist. The reason for having two files is to allow for some settings to differ between different paksets. The way that it works is that the "master" file, the one not associated with any particular pakset, contains all the basic settings. Those settings can, however, be over-ridden by the pakset-specific simuconf.tab files. Where no setting for a given parameter is present in the pakset simuconf.tab file, the parameter in the master file is used. Where a parameter is present in both the master file and the pakset file, the one from the pakset file is used. Where the parameter is present in neither file, a hard-coded default value is used instead.

It is not a good idea to replace the pakset simuconf.tab file with the master simuconf.tab file, as there are a number of pakset-specific settings in the pakset file that are different in the master file. Use the latest version of the master config file to replace the earlier version of the master config file. When the new version of Pak128.Britain-Ex is released, it will have its own updated simuconf.tab file with Pak128.Britain-Ex specific settings.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.

AvG

OK, thank you James. That explains the missing rivers.
I am not sure if I have the latest Pak-Britain-Exp 0.6.
Where can I download that?
AvG
Ad van Gerwen

jamespetts

AvG - look here for Pak128.Britain-Ex 0.6.
Download Simutrans-Extended.

Want to help with development? See here for things to do for coding, and here for information on how to make graphics/objects.

Follow Simutrans-Extended on Facebook.