News:

The Forum Rules and Guidelines
Our forum has Rules and Guidelines. Please, be kind and read them ;).

upgrade stations ? more !

Started by gauthier, May 30, 2010, 12:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauthier

Currently it is possible to build a higher level station on an existing one.
But there is a problem :
in pak128, all my bus stops are old (wooden one) and I want to replace with newer ones, but I have to delete the old one before building the new one because they have the same level.

possible solution : be able to build any station on an existing one.

skreyola

Quote from: gauthier on May 30, 2010, 12:49:12 PM
Currently it is possible to build a higher level station on an existing one.
But there is a problem :
in pak128, all my bus stops are old (wooden one) and I want to replace with newer ones, but I have to delete the old one before building the new one because they have the same level.

possible solution : be able to build any station on an existing one.
I think that's a bad idea. Clicking in the wrong place could become expensive.
Better idea: Allow overrule with control, just like rails.
--Skreyola
You can also help translate for your language with SimuTranslator.

gauthier

possible too ... but it's rare to click on the wrong place (maybe you're playing pak32 with a ball mouse ? :D )

skreyola

Quote from: gauthier on May 31, 2010, 06:37:36 PM
possible too ... but it's rare to click on the wrong place (maybe you're playing pak32 with a ball mouse ? :D )
Some people have poor control of fine muscle movements, or are trying to move+click too quickly. I'd hate to lose money (twice, no less) because I accidentally plopped down that no-platform station (cap 32) on top of my needed tram station (cap 256) instead of next to it on a new spur.
--Skreyola

Lord Vetinari

I support this. It's also good for train platforms.

idan44

Maybe and " Upgrade button " ? You open the station menu and click on a tiny button " Uprade station " and a menu with options will pop - up.
When playing Simutrans, building a train or roads we must remember that Gilad can't do it for 4 years...

VS

That's a bit vague, since you get one info window for the whole station. It can contain different types of tiles...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Lmallet

Quote from: VS on June 01, 2010, 01:20:40 PM
That's a bit vague, since you get one info window for the whole station. It can contain different types of tiles...
I had the same thought, but then again the upgrade button could check every station tile and determine which ones are up to date and which ones needs to be updated.  The upgrade button would then upgrade all out of date tiles in the station.  There could also be a field somewhere in the box indicating how much the upgrade would cost, but I am wondering if all this additional checking would add a lot to the Simutrans "load".  (I guess the button should be called "modernize", as upgrade is not quite the right term).

Other option I was thinking, was since you have to pay maintenance on the station, simply consider modernization as part of standard maintenance.  Then again I am sure someone is going to ask "well what if I don't want to modernize my station".  You just can't win.  :)

VS

Being able to build platforms by dragging could help as well...

My projects... Tools for messing with Simutrans graphics. Graphic archive - templates and some other stuff for painters. Development logs for most recent information on what is going on. And of course pak128!

Maragil

wouldn't you get bugs related to corners?

H./

Lord Vetinari

Quote from: Lmallet on June 01, 2010, 02:12:06 PM
I had the same thought, but then again the upgrade button could check every station tile and determine which ones are up to date and which ones needs to be updated.  The upgrade button would then upgrade all out of date tiles in the station.  There could also be a field somewhere in the box indicating how much the upgrade would cost, but I am wondering if all this additional checking would add a lot to the Simutrans "load".  (I guess the button should be called "modernize", as upgrade is not quite the right term).

Other option I was thinking, was since you have to pay maintenance on the station, simply consider modernization as part of standard maintenance.  Then again I am sure someone is going to ask "well what if I don't want to modernize my station".  You just can't win.  :)

I'd say that the CTL+click option is better, if I understood well your proposal. What will happen with your system when there are two possible updated versions available at the same time?

Lmallet

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on June 01, 2010, 03:31:14 PM
I'd say that the CTL+click option is better, if I understood well your proposal. What will happen with your system when there are two possible updated versions available at the same time?
That's a good point.  I guess there is not much other choice than having to click on the old object with the new one to upgrade.

gauthier

QuoteBeing able to build platforms by dragging could help as well...

I completly support ;)

skreyola

Yeah, CTRL-Click is the best., It lets everyone do what they want with their station (I like to use different station tiles to achieve just the right amount of capacity and to make a visually interesting station), and the idea of draggable building would make it useful to those who want to upgrade the whole thing at once.
Click+drag: build a new station
CTRL+click+drag: up/downgrade the whole station
--Skreyola